Welcome Bonus for Not Leaving?

If the company you are working for is offering a “Welcome Bonus” to new drivers, have you asked for the same amount (with terms) for staying with them?

If you are not at a company offering this, would you do so if you were?

It’s only fair if they offer it to all drivers isn’t it?

I would certainly make up for it in others ways if they didn’t offer me the same as new starters.

drover:
It’s only fair if they offer it to all drivers isn’t it?

I would certainly make up for it in others ways if they didn’t offer me the same as new starters.

That is my view - but I doubt they are offering it & need to be persuaded.
I’m hoping somebody has already done this & can encourage others to do so.
Some very large firms are paying 3 figure sums for new recruits.
They can afford to look after their current drivers with a bonus too.

The firm i am currently working for have hired 2 new drivers on new (better) pay rates! I have therefore put my notice in as i wasn’t offered the same rise!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

ajc263:
The firm i am currently working for have hired 2 new drivers on new (better) pay rates! I have therefore put my notice in as i wasn’t offered the same rise!

Thats a whole different ball game, its one thing offering new starters a bonus to aid recruitment (sometimes companies offer existing drivers a bonus for recommending new staff), another thing entirely to offer new drivers a better contract than existing staff.

Don’t blame you jacking in.

ajc263:

I am pleased you are voting with your feet.
I would be surprised if you get to the end of your notice period without a ‘quiet word’ first though.
Good luck.

Am on holiday (pre booked) . First day of my time off had the boss on the phone wanting to chat! ( he was on holiday my last working week so gave my notice to the assistant manager). Wants to have a chat upon my return! Shame he didn’t want to talk whilst i was training up the other 2 drivers! [emoji16]

As I said in another thread we have had 3 payrises in the last 3 months . A couple of drivers left and the boss put the pay up for everyone still there . Wether you have been there 10 minutes or 10 years we all get the same pay and its clearly stated on a group text what the rates are , so all the "I’m on this rate " nonsence dosent happen .
We have good kit - well maintained trucks and trailers , straps , corner /edge protectors ,high vis and ppe . Office staff are good - they do their best to keep us on the kind of work we like to do - some guys like day work , some on set work and some tramp all week . If you want weekend work that can be catered for as well .Never had a bad attitude from them on the phone - polite and well manned- you usually get asked what suits you , you don’t always get to do what you want to do but on the whole it works .
Snap for parking and truck wash and no worries about getting a meal voucher in the parking as well .
Could I earn more elsewhere - Yes but I’d be doing a lot more work.
Would I have as pleasant a work enviroment - I doubt it .
One last thing - when Covid started 3 drivers were furloughed - not only did they get the 80% - the boss make sure those 3 drivers got 100% of their wages . Those of us that know that fact (as its not common knowledge ) are quite happy - the boss stood up for us and looked out for us when we were getting it tough , we are more than happy not to be pushing for more and more money , holidays etc etc . None of the 3 payrises were asked for , we don’t have a union (I doubt we ever would have one ).

I know not every one is in the same situation - if you work for a faceless logistics provider that has taken evey chance to screw you over then by all means get stuck in and take all you can get from them . If the worst happens you’ll get taken over by another faceless logistics company and you’ll get a new uniform and things will continue as before but some of us are happy with our lot and trust that our boss isn’t screwing us over .

Sounds like you got a good thing where you are.[emoji106]

ajc263:

I like to think we have - boss was a driver himself - took the risk and started out by himself . He has 18 trucks now - most guys have been there from the start , a few have come and went but turnover of drivers is low we really only look for a driver when a new lorry turns up to expand the fleet. I do keep an ear to the ground as to what other local companies are offering but haven’t found anything that compares to what I’m doing and the money I’m earning .

beefy4605:
…I know not every one is in the same situation - if you work for a faceless logistics provider that has taken evey chance to screw you over then by all means get stuck in and take all you can get from them . If the worst happens you’ll get taken over by another faceless logistics company and you’ll get a new uniform and things will continue as before but some of us are happy with our lot and trust that our boss isn’t screwing us over .

I agree.
It is mainly those faceless logistics providers that are offering the sign on bonuses, hence why it would be nice to see drivers take advantage whilst they can.

Your situation proves that money is not the main factor when when working for a good employer.
It is nice to know there are still some around.

ScaniaUltimate:

beefy4605:
…I know not every one is in the same situation - if you work for a faceless logistics provider that has taken evey chance to screw you over then by all means get stuck in and take all you can get from them . If the worst happens you’ll get taken over by another faceless logistics company and you’ll get a new uniform and things will continue as before but some of us are happy with our lot and trust that our boss isn’t screwing us over .

I agree.
It is mainly those faceless logistics providers that are offering the sign on bonuses, hence why it would be nice to see drivers take advantage whilst they can.

Your situation proves that money is not the main factor when when working for a good employer.
It is nice to know there are still some around.

Correct - I’m glad somebody saw that. Money was never really talked about - I took the job because I knew what I was getting into and the money was was in the bank every week without fail. It has been that way for almost 10 years.

beefy4605:

ajc263:

I like to think we have - boss was a driver himself - took the risk and started out by himself . He has 18 trucks now - most guys have been there from the start , a few have come and went but turnover of drivers is low we really only look for a driver when a new lorry turns up to expand the fleet. I do keep an ear to the ground as to what other local companies are offering but haven’t found anything that compares to what I’m doing and the money I’m earning .

These are the companies we want to still have around when things settle down.
Hopefully your company can thrive where the big companies stuck on long contracts with punitive penalties for contract failings will suffer.
We have a role to play in helping this happen by looking after the good companies whilst taking all we can from those that have taken so much from us already.

It is what it is I suppose. The companies implementing this would probably have factored in a few knee-jerk resignations on principle. Golden hellos are nothing new and happen everywhere, sometimes to attract talent, sometimes to help with relocation. Someone new to the industry may be paying off getting a licence and a company paying £1000 or £1500 and having someone available immediately would be cheaper than taking someone on and paying them a wage while training. It is a numbers game of course.

On a related note, you don’t generally see folks on old more lucrative contracts offering to hand money back because the new guys are on less. The new guys could refuse to take the job for less money, it is up to them, everyone makes their decisions and lives by them.

Amazon warehouse staff are being paid extra £50 a week attendance bonus.
Long as your not late that week or off sick .
Which isn’t bad in my opinion.
I’ve worked at many places over the years where drivers /staff come In 5 10 15 mins late all the time. Always going off sick esp if there’s a big midweek football match on etc.
And I feel people who come in do job go home should be rewarded for ir

all of us DHL Core driver’s have been awarded a £2,000 retention incentive to stay in employment with the Co. until Dec 31st 2021! all 8,000 of us! :astonished: :smiley:
will be paid in Jan 2022.