Weird German engineering!

M.A.N.

Two radiators,Two intercoolers,Two turbochargers!!!

But it works. Very strange but very very clever.

Depends on how you define works I suppose!

AF1:
Depends on how you define works I suppose![/quote

If they can pull 2 mile more per gallon and not cart round a 100 liters of urea and still meet emission standards then they might just know what they are doing dont you think.

After rebuilding more than I care to mention I’d have to say no!

AF1:

AF1:

Well being as you have “rebuilt” so many perhaps you could explain to all of us how the compound turbo and aftercooler system works cos I aint got a clue.

The twin stage turbo set up is nothing overly complex, a low pressure turbo and a high pressure one. The low pressure turbo charge air is coooled by a chargecooler mounted on the o/s/r of the block, the high pressure chargecooler is mounted in front of the sump.
In place of an intercooler is the low temperature radiator which cools the coolant for the chargecooler circuit, coolant flow through this circuit is controlled by a cooper valve mounted at the o/s/f of the engine, the chargecoolers also have their own thermostats mounted in them. The cooling system is also pre pressurized, apparently to aid flow and help prevent cavitation.
Boost pressure is controlled by wastegates but these are electronically controlled and actuated by the vehicles air system via pierburg valves.
And yes, i have “rebuilt” many! including several from bare new blocks.

^^^^^^ I’d say that just about covers it then! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

SHOCKING ENGINE FACT ! the uk is the only country to use this engine a guinea pig testbed by MAN, that badly backfired and lost customer confidence.There is still an ongoing recall for all 60 plate onwards motors first an oil sample,then rad airflow check.EGR manifolds fail dealers normally change the HP cooler and egr manifold together a 7k bill if they reject a warranty claim.They normally blame a blocked rad for cracking the manifold even though the temp gauge is reading normal WTF.Exhaust brake actuator is brittle, and changing the Cooper valve to get rid of fault codes that MAN technical tell you is the fault doesnt work its a skin off the knuckles job to change and you need hands like a 2yr old lol.Getting the rad out of a TGS is a real pain in the arse due to the rad mounts being lower than the TGX .

I think Bking is still trying to light his fireworks that have been ■■■■■■ all over :laughing:

AF1:
The twin stage turbo set up is nothing overly complex, a low pressure turbo and a high pressure one. The low pressure turbo charge air is coooled by a chargecooler mounted on the o/s/r of the block, the high pressure chargecooler is mounted in front of the sump.
In place of an intercooler is the low temperature radiator which cools the coolant for the chargecooler circuit, coolant flow through this circuit is controlled by a cooper valve mounted at the o/s/f of the engine, the chargecoolers also have their own thermostats mounted in them. The cooling system is also pre pressurized, apparently to aid flow and help prevent cavitation.
Boost pressure is controlled by wastegates but these are electronically controlled and actuated by the vehicles air system via pierburg valves.

Do you know the final pressure achieved? Must be higher than normal to need a two stage setup (unless both turbos have lower boost than usual and using two intercoolers improves charge density).

I wonder if the improvement in thermal efficiency is worth the extra cost and complication. I know Scania used an extra turbine unit to feed into the powertrain in their turbocompound installation and claimed significant power/efficiency gains from it.

I don’t think max boost pressure was increased much (if at all) the low pressure turbo was added to increase torque and efficiency in the lower Rev ranges. As to whether it was worth it, looking at Euro 5 alone I’d say no, but as mentioned above it was a bit of a test mule so perhaps it’ll improve the euro 6 product? We have a few euro 6 MAN’s in our fleet now and bar the odd blocked ad blu filter they’ve been problem free but it’s early days.

AF1:

Why waste your time
A total piece of crap.Whoever designed this piece of garbage should be serving macdonalds

AF1:

Sounds like a load of bollox to me.Maybe thats why they cant sell the crap!

Tell you whats weird,it takes a shift to change the header tank, WTF…!!!

The header tank is part of the main radiator. You have to remove the main and low temp rad, it’s a ball ache for sure!

AF1:
The header tank is part of the main radiator. You have to remove the main and low temp rad, it’s a ball ache for sure!

tell me about it ! what is the advantage in that■■? Could someone please explain the logic behind the design, first time ive seen it on an engine .Header tanks dont fail often but ive changed Actros,daf cf,volvo fm fh1fl ,erf, etc ect in the past an hour tops.Old volvo f7 5MINS…

I think the Germans just like to make things as awkward as possible!

The real “gem” is the 2 “thermostats” about the size of your japs eye in the “high pressure” intercooler that these german pillocks hang in the most vulnerable place on the truck.Then of course we have another “cooler” stuck on the side of the block.

No wonder VW/Audi/MAN are up ■■■■■ creek with “engineers” with this kind of imagination.

Yep 6 thermostats in each engine! What could possibly go wrong!