Weights

Forgive the rookie question. I regularly drive an 18t box truck. What does 18t mean? Is that its weight empty? Or its maximum weight? If that then what is it likely to weigh empty?

Somebody loaded me this week and said I might be overweight there but they didn’t have a weigh bridge and I’m not sure what ‘overweight’ would have been anyway.

Any tips/info appreciated.

If you take a look under your passenger seat you will have a plate that tells you what your maximum weights are. However an 18t vehicles maximum permissable weight is 18t, that’s unladen weight plus payload.

For the purpose off weight restrictions you cannot go anywhere that is showing lower than 18t as the signage is aimed at your maximum permissable weight, even if you are running empty and weighing in at 9t.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

If you think the lorry is overloaded then, providing it is not unsafe, you can legally drive to the nearest public weighbridge and then back to the place of loading to remove goods if overloaded

You get the money for the weighbridge back from your boss because they have to pay not the driver
Your boss can then get the money back from the company that overloaded you

18 tonne in your case is the vehicle GVW or max Gross Vehicle Weight which is the most it can legally weigh with you, the load, fuel, sandwiches, wet wipes etc

Thanks both - that’s really helpful. I’ll check out the plate next time I’m in the vehicle.

Now I know why my boss keeps wanting me to lose weight - will have to get on the treadmill :slight_smile:

Generally you will have about a 9ish tonne payload for an 18 tonne vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Also carfull of front axle weights

Sent from my S9_Pro using Tapatalk