Weight Restrictions

I was in Oxford (city Centre) last Friday and never have I seen so many 7.5T restrictions and bus lane cameras. Had a number of deliveries which would have taken me through the restrictions, bear in mind that I was driving an 18T. I stopped had a good look and decided NOT to proceed down these roads. Called the agency and told them of my intentions and was told ‘the other driver delivers OK to these places & any problems will be picked up by the client’. This I believe is a load of bull as if I’d have gone through the restrictions and got photographed all the fines and points would be on my license. Got back with loads of undelivered stuff and now I’ve been told that due to the cost ‘implications’ on the day the client will not sighn the timesheet. Did 10 hours of work that day and it looks like I’m not going to get a penny for it. I’m sticking to my guns here and I will not break restrictions as they are there for a reason. Before anyone asks there was no time limits on the restrictions and no ‘except for access’ signs either. Coments welcome. :grimacing:

Did the 7.5 sign have a plate of any description under it and if yes, what did it say ?

Nothing under the sign as mentioned above ROG

Paul-H:
Nothing under the sign as mentioned above ROG

just wanted to be sure :slight_smile:

7.5 sign - no exceptions - you no go

That was my decission as well, so I’m going to be short a few quid this Friday. I’m on a decent contract till my hols in December so there is no chance that I’m going to work for those boys this year at least, and if the work gets extended next year I’ll be chuffed to bits.

Ask the agency to call their local police traffic and find out the LAW

I’ve just confirmed my answer with the police traffic DSA designated LGV (and every other upgrade) examiner for Leicestershire - he KNOWS the traffic LAW :wink:

He is also one of our advanced driving examiners

Paul-H:
I was in Oxford (city Centre) last Friday and never have I seen so many 7.5T restrictions and bus lane cameras. Had a number of deliveries which would have taken me through the restrictions, bear in mind that I was driving an 18T. I stopped had a good look and decided NOT to proceed down these roads. Called the agency and told them of my intentions and was told ‘the other driver delivers OK to these places & any problems will be picked up by the client’. This I believe is a load of bull as if I’d have gone through the restrictions and got photographed all the fines and points would be on my license. Got back with loads of undelivered stuff and now I’ve been told that due to the cost ‘implications’ on the day the client will not sighn the timesheet. Did 10 hours of work that day and it looks like I’m not going to get a penny for it. I’m sticking to my guns here and I will not break restrictions as they are there for a reason. Before anyone asks there was no time limits on the restrictions and no ‘except for access’ signs either. Coments welcome. :grimacing:

I’d have took the day off just for the pleasure of not delivering there.You could have asked the commie republic’s government about the restrictions before you started and then left the job with agency and the client to sort out.As it is the commies have won at your expense.

To be honest I wasn’t exactly thrilled at doing it and got persuaded to do it, sounded easy enough but if I’d have been told where I was going I ould have turned it down. Hindsight is a wonderful thing… :smiley:
At the moment I’m on Artics and thoroughly enjoying it and when I drove this DAF with a splitter gearbox I realised what I let myself in for.

The way I see it is that if someone is daft enough to break the rules than they shouldn’t go crying to mum when the sh*t hits the fan and the penalties flood in.

Oxford city centre’s a pig on a good day, but IIRC most of those 7.5 restrictions have an “except for loading” plate below them; I used to deliver Samsonite suitcases for UPS to a couple of department store in Oxford using an 18T DAF and never had any probs once I’d mastered the route in and out of the centre. Biggest problem used to be getting into a loading bay, often crammed full of cars but that happens everywhere.

If they will not pay you just ring ACAS for advice I’m sure the law is if you worked they need to pay you even if you didn’t delivery, LAW is simple they can’t do nothing unless you agree to it. You get pay p/h not p/delivery and if you think is not safe to do so is your choice, most likely the agancy didn’t phoned the transport company and most likely they didn’t even know where Oxford is :smiley: ring them and tell them if they will not pay you will ring ACAS and you will see the result then