Weight restriction signs

Hi all. Can anybody tell me the difference between signs that say “Except for loading” and “except for access” underneath weight restriction signs?
TIA
For wot its worth…As a multidrop bod I usually ignore them all, but would be interested in knowing.

I don’t think there is a difference but I have been told that if you’re in one of these zones and get pulled, and don’t have paperwork for an address in the zone, then you’re in the doodoo. :confused:

The ones I (dis)like are the 5t restrictions for overnight and w/ends anytime, as I do home delivery in a 7.5 my attitude is ‘go forth and…etc’ as they are only there because the residents/council don’t want trucks in their streets. :unamused: Hey!..If you want a 7 day a week home del service then you’re going to have trucks on w/ends
:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Jules

I’v just looked in Know your traffic signs, Commercial Vehicle Drivers, by the DoT, they don’t seem to know either.

The general Know your tyraffic signs, gives these discriptions.
Except for loading = except for loading & unloading.
Except for access = Except for access to premisis or land adjacent to the road, where there is no other route.

Basically, you can go there if you are loading or unloading there, but you can`t use the road for “transit”.

Vince

True Vince. I have just received a summons for doing exactly that :blush: :blush: .

I will be in a position to tell you how much it costs, if you are caught, some time in March.

Thanks everybody :sunglasses:

Simon:
True Vince. I have just received a summons for doing exactly that :blush: :blush: .

I will be in a position to tell you how much it costs, if you are caught, some time in March.

I was stopped while in a 7.5 tonne weight restriction area (I thought my delivery point was within the area, but in fact it was beyond it) and I was given a £30 Fixed Penalty Notice on the spot.

I didn`t have any complaint- I was bang to rights- and my boss paid it anyway.

Esseentially, it is an “absolute offence”- you will have to plead guilty.

If you do that, explain that you were lost and apologise, then I imagine you will end up with a fine not too much higher than the £30 fixed ticket.

Did the Police offer you a fixed penalty ticket? It`s always cheaper to take one.

Vince

to quote from the FTA yearbook 2004…“except for loading” means you can load & unload, you may also gain access to off-street garaging.
“except for access” means access for ANY purpose including on street parking (if there are no seperate parking restrictions in force)

hope this helps

paul

I wasted a couple of gallons trying to find a night time route into Ipswich — practically every road has a night time weight restriction.

But isn’t it about time someone came up with a Truckers Atlas/Route Software showing not only bridge heights, but weight, width and length limits too? Surely, the local authorities/highways people have the info, so it should be made available in the public domain?

I agree Spaceman - one would have thought that this could easily be built into a GPS system …

Thought I’d bounce it to the RHA (not that I’m desperately trying to justify my membership fee!):-

Question
I have the AA Truckers Atlas showing bridge heights.
Please can you advise me where I can get maps or information on Weight / Width / Length Restrictions.
The amount of time / fuel / wear / tear etc wasted by HGV’s trying to find routes avoiding such restrictions must be quite staggering. Surely this information should be available from the Highways Agency or Local Authorities?

The Reply
John there are no definitive lists of such info as constantly changing…
each individual police force can supply this info from the abnormal loads officers, some police and the highways agency do,(some do not) supply a considerable number of road closures etc but by the time we get them and collate they are often out of date.

POLICE FORCES IN GREAT BRITAIN
The following are addresses for abnormal loads (see Form of Notice and Indemnity in Abnormal Loads in The United Kingdom). When sending details by telex or fax, prefix message “Abnormal loads”.

Suffice to say, I wasn’t enamoured with RHA’s reply. I haven’t pasted the list of Police contacts, but perhaps we should all start contacting the ab loads officer in each area we pass through to check the Weight / Width / Length situation?

Abnormal loads officer? Never heard of him.

Aren’t the police always moaning about too much paperwork? Think we should give them some more and all write to our local Abnormal Loads Officer asking for a list of restrictions. I think he would pass an Abnormal Load when he saw 50 request letters on his desk on Monday morning :laughing:

That’ll teach em for pulling me over for no apparent reason.
Much respect to any law enforcement personnel who may be reading :smiley: