Weight of a V8

Was talking to an operator at TF last weekend who runs a fleet of R480 Scanias. I just asked if he would be getting any V8s and h said no because they weigh a half ton heavier than the straight six ones. Is this correct■■?

Just looked on the Scania Website at the Spec sheets and cant find anything about the unladen waeight of them…

scania.co.uk/trucks/long-haulage/

i was talking to an o/d in tesco chepstow about a month ago he had a r580 v8 with all the lights and tack on it he said the same thing he reckond a v8 is close to 9 ton were a standerd v6 is close to 8 1/2 hence the reason he was getting shott of it and buying a r480

p.ish! Doubt it very much. If we were that concerned about weight then we’d all be running about in low roof, bobby basic trucks…

half a ton is a bit exaggerated, but it can be in the region of 300kg

TONY530I:
p.ish! Doubt it very much. If we were that concerned about weight then we’d all be running about in low roof, bobby basic trucks…

Like me :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

The Scania website confirms that the R500 is indeed half a ton heavier than an equivalent R420 (well, 8403kg compared to 7934kg, so 469kg difference). That’s a lot if you’re on bulk work, could easily work out to 40 or 50 quid a week, which is a couple of grand or more over a year. Plus I bet the 420 will use less fuel.

Paul

not on bulk work. loaded on your weight all the time.

Out of intrest, how much heavier is a topline than a highline,a tag than a pusher axle, and how much does alloy wheels save in weight on a 6x2 unit?

NB12:
Out of intrest, how much heavier is a topline than a highline,a tag than a pusher axle, and how much does alloy wheels save in weight on a 6x2 unit?

the weight saving on the alloys is approx 300Kg for a 6 axle combination, 6x2 unit with w tri axle trailer, this is quoted from Alcoa website.

dunno about the other things in question because i don’t own any of those pieces of …

A V8 is near a half ton heavier allright,even a V6 is heavier than a straight 6,this is why Actros’s are heavy. Alloy wheel’s are another scam less than a half ton saved by 14 rim’s!!!
I’d be curious to know what weight different cab’s are thou?

tag’s are lighter than mid lifts, retarders add 100kilos or so too

I would of thought that the tag would be heavier as the chassis is longer (longer than they used to be,Daf/Volvo more so), but i suppose without the steering equipment it could be lighter.

So a tag R480 highline with alloys could (possibly) carry 1ton more payload than a midlift R500 topline?

straight 6s and mini lifts rule :laughing:
Oh and a topline’s only a bit more tin or fibreglass

i drive a 580 v8 with an empty stock box weigh in just short of 24 ton volvo f16 580 weighs 500 kgs lighter and daf xf nearly a ton lighter

tag has hollow tube rear axle but mid lift has solid beam like a front axle, also propshaft alot shorter on tag, and as u said theres all the extra steering linkage on a mid lift, think mid lift has about 12 balljoints to ware out and replace but the tag only has 4. but with tag u have a chance of ripping off wing tops on trailer chassis.

With a sliding fifth wheel surely this can be avoided?

HI I RUN A MIX OF SCANIA,S AS FOLLOWS

4X2 HIGHLINE R420 6,850

4X2 TOPLINE V8 580 8,325

6X2 TOLINE R420 8,250

6X2 TOPLINE 480 9,325 WAS PLATED CAT 2