Weight limits

I was reading Rob K’s latest diary and he mentions going over a 17t GVW bridge saying that because he was empty (therefore weighing 13t) it was OK. I presume he was correct but I always thought Gross Vehicle Weight was the same as plated weight, which in his case would be around 44t(?)

mrpj:
I was reading Rob K’s latest diary and he mentions going over a 17t GVW bridge saying that because he was empty (therefore weighing 13t) it was OK. I presume he was correct but I always thought Gross Vehicle Weight was the same as plated weight, which in his case would be around 44t(?)

You are right and Rob is wrong.
Although one could say it was a bit of a grey area as the highway code has in small writing asking that unladen vehicles under the weight of the restriction be exempt.

it depends on the sign you pass and the truck you are driving.

If the weight limit says Maximum Weight 20 T then anything weighing more than 20 Tonne is illegal.

If the sign says 7.5T and you drive over it with an empty artic unit that weighs 6.9 tonne, then you will get done as that sign means plated weight, not gross weight.

Thanks for the replies :smiley: