Weight limits.

How on earth are we supposed to find our way to addresses when there are (as far as I know) no maps available that show weight limits. Does our green thinking government think its best to have trucks driving all the way round towns and cities in the hope they might find a way in?

I would put Gloucester as an example, they have 7.5 tonne weight limits except for access all the way around the city, what do you do if your delivery address is within that?

P.S. I have Snooper truckmate which does help (not perfect) but my question is for those who don’t have that information.

schrodingers cat:
I would put Gloucester as an example, they have 7.5 tonne weight limits except for access all the way around the city, what do you do if your delivery address is within that?

If it is marked “Except for access” then you are allowed to enter the restricted area if you are delivering or collecting there.

schrodingers cat:

Is this ment to be a wind up?

Saaamon:

schrodingers cat:

Is this ment to be a wind up?

it must be. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would have said the operative words on the weight limit signs are ‘except for access’ . If your delivery is within the area then you are entitled to access.

So long the delivery is within the limit it doesn’t matter, its only the London Boroughs scheme as far as i know that requires you to access the delivery from the nearest non restricted road, even if it means driving 60 miles to save 200 yards…tree huggers never were much for looking at the big picture.

AA large scale truckers does have low weight bridges, but i’m not aware of any maps that show all weight restrictions…will be as interested as you to find out, which we probably will soon.

Point is how do you know your delivery address is within the weight limit? Ive been caught out before.

If you don’t have the information up front you need to circle around the address to find out if it is within or outside the weight limit.

Or have some of the clever arses that have responded so far got a better solution. :unamused:

You can by a Truck atlas? Plan your route on that?

amazon.co.uk/Truckers-Atlas- … 0749541717

amazon.co.uk/Philips-Navigat … 1849071438

ibson:
You can by a Truck atlas? Plan your route on that?

Brilliant tell me which one has weight limits, obviously yours does.

Everyone is right above, how have you been caught out before?

Many years ago one of my old mates was stopped by the police for going into a weight limit zone.
He told the law that the sign says access only and he wanted access to the pie shop because it was his dinner time.

He got a bit of a boloking and told to get on his way.

ibson:

I used to drive a container lorry going to places I’d never been to before.
I used Gloucester as an example as I live there. But as a lorry driver I know that unless you absolutely know the city, you would have to do a 15 mile circuit of the city to find out whether there was a way into the centre without a weight limit.
You said in your last post that there was a map which would help, which means it must have weight limits marked on it. I asked which map that was because that would help everyone on this site. Please enlighten us.
P.S. I was caught out just outside Oxford, the address I was going to was on an Industrial estate, I was within half a mile of it so went through a weight limit (except for access), it was just on the other side, so if the police had been around I’d have had an NIP. I got away with it but how many on here have had to fork out because of not knowing about your special map.

Google street view great for checking for weight limits.

What industrial estate outside Oxford was this?
These weight limit signs should say how long and where the limit ends so you have the chance to turn around.

fingermissing:

Look I’m not being pedantic but how on earth does google street view help? It would take longer to find your way into a town on the computer than it would driving around it.

May save on diesel though.

schrodingers cat:

fingermissing:

Look I’m not being pedantic but how on earth does google street view help? It would take longer to find your way into a town on the computer than it would driving around it.

On streetview you can quickly look at an image of a junction to look for any weight limit signs, only takes a few minutes to see what roads into the town you can/cant use. Better to spend ten minutes in the morning/night before doing that than driving round in circles wasting diesel trying to wing it.

I use streetview all the time to verify routes into towns for suitability, cant fault it.

rob22888:

schrodingers cat:

fingermissing:

On streetview you can quickly look at an image of a junction to look for any weight limit signs, only takes a few minutes to see what roads into the town you can/cant use. Better to spend ten minutes in the morning/night before doing that than driving round in circles wasting diesel trying to wing it.

I use streetview all the time to verify routes into towns for suitability, cant fault it.

So do i…IF…i’ve got the address the night before.

Not a lot of use to the poor bloody bod told to report at 6am and given his notes at 7 though, and that is the usual way jobs are dished out these days.

As it is i do the same as most, just wing it, been through hundreds if not thousands of weight restrictions wrongly over the years, its part and parcel of the job.

Good point though SC, i’d be very interested if someone has found a map that shows all current truck weight restrictions, all of them, not just 7.5 ton…be a bloody big volume though i reckon.

rob22888:

schrodingers cat:

fingermissing:

Ok but… realistically, do you look at every junction on streetview before you get to a town you have never been to before? Or do you just wing it, or maybe you have a regular run where you already know the roads you need.

Wouldn’t it just be better if a map existed that showed weight limits?

If only Ibson would reveal where he got his from. :unamused:

This is quite serious for all lorry drivers by the way, no-one on this thread has come up with a sensible way around this problem yet, but everyone seems to treat this lightly.

Maybe we should just pay fines for crossing weight limits despite the proper information hasn’t made public to help us?

schrodingers cat:

ibson:

I used Gloucester as an example as I live there. But as a lorry driver I know that unless you absolutely know the city, you would have to do a 15 mile circuit of the city to find out whether there was a way into the centre without a weight limit.
You said in your last post that there was a map which would help, which means it must have weight limits marked on it. I asked which map that was because that would help everyone on this site. Please enlighten us.
P.S. I was caught out just outside Oxford, the address I was going to was on an Industrial estate, I was within half a mile of it so went through a weight limit (except for access), it was just on the other side, so if the police had been around I’d have had an NIP. I got away with it but how many on here have had to fork out because of not knowing about your special map.

I posted a link above when I edited my post. The second one I think does show weight limits, possibly the AA one as well. I can’t remember what ones I bought for our trucks, but we drive local and know the areas. If You plan a route you can see what roads you will be using, and as a LGV driver myself I try to avoid town centres and residential areas unless that’s where the drop off is, and if it is I would take full advantage "except for access "

ibson:

schrodingers cat:

ibson:

I posted a link above when I edited my post. The second one I think does show weight limits, possibly the AA one as well. I can’t remember what ones I bought for our trucks, but we drive local and know the areas.

Sorry mate but neither of those atlases show weight limitsand you doing local deliveries doesn’t help the huge number of lorry drivers who have to find their way legally into addresses they’ve never been to, in towns they’ve never been to before.

Imagine, your sent to an address in Gloucester, first thing you see is 7.5T except access, do you go through? How do you know where the limit ends, do you drive all the way round the City to see if there’s a way in? Do you chance it and go through? Genuinely you would have to do 15 miles around Gloucester to find out there is no way in except through the weight limit, would you be happy for your drivers to do that or would you rather they just chanced that they were breaking the law? Would you pay their fine?

This thread is about the publication of weight limits on maps.

Good idea or not?