Weight Limits & Lifting Axles

So. I got a little stuck in London today. I was in a 26t rigid and was on the wrong side of an 18t weight limit and my darling magic box satnav only wanted me to to take the road with the limit or a bus lane. I was not amused.

I was running empty, so the truck weighed 13t and the rear axle was lifted.

Now, I have understood in the past that the 18t MGW means I can’t take a 26 tonner over it even if I have got that axle lifted, but according to a colleague today; I could.

Likewise, if I go across the dartford crossing with that axle raised too then I’d only get charged for the two axles that were down and thus a lower rate?

I think weight limits always go on your taxable weight ,although some weight limits are for axle weights but you dont see that many know.

I think that you may find that the answer to your question is in the question :smiley:
the max gross weight limit was 18t
what is the max gross weight limit for your 26t truck :question:
is this MGW of 26t lower than 18t, if not you cant go over
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you for your logical responses. The TM has already pointed out that by going past the red an white circle versus the red and white triangle for signs telling me I shouldn’t do such things means I could get points/fine etc…

your mate is talking ■■■■■■■■ :wink:

weight limits go on the plated weight of the vehicle, not how many axles are on the ground

as for the Dartford Crossing, quite a few years ago, if you had a 26 tonner with a lift axle raised, they would charge you at the lower weight category, although, i’m not sure if that still applies now

Saratoga:
The TM has already pointed out that by going past the red an white circle versus the red and white triangle for signs telling me I shouldn’t do such things means I could get points/fine etc…

If it’s any consolation I have in the past inadvertently gone through an 18T limit road in London and not heard anything about it :blush: :slight_smile:

Obviously I’m not suggesting that London signs should be ignored, but some people seem to think that you cannot possibly make a mistake in London without it coming back to bite you, and that’s not the case, so good luck :wink:

Saratoga:
So. I got a little stuck in London today. I was in a 26t rigid and was on the wrong side of an 18t weight limit and my darling magic box satnav only wanted me to to take the road with the limit or a bus lane. I was not amused.

I was running empty, so the truck weighed 13t and the rear axle was lifted.

Now, I have understood in the past that the 18t MGW means I can’t take a 26 tonner over it even if I have got that axle lifted, but according to a colleague today; I could.

Likewise, if I go across the dartford crossing with that axle raised too then I’d only get charged for the two axles that were down and thus a lower rate?

your colleague is a muppet :wink:

You are right he is wrong.

When the prices at the DRC were £1.80 for 2 axles / £2.90 multi axle you could get through for £1.80 with the tag lifted. I used to have a pair of DART tags but would take the multi axle tag out the window if running on 2 axles. Otherwise if they rang up £2.90 they multi axle tag would pay and the barrier went up. Without the tag they’d twig that you were waiting for £1.80 to come up and punch that in instead.

Oddly enough I was in London today and was able to go over Tower bridge which is usually off limits to me, but as I was in the Transit it didn’t matter :laughing: was going to come back through the Rotherhithe but I’m not sure how wide the dropside body is.

Wasn’t sure if the colleague was being nice for a change but a lot of his comments are there to zb me up in this job so I guess tnet wins again :slight_smile: thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

Very few coppers/camera operatives would be able to tell you the difference between an 18t and a 26 tonner. Assuming there is any kind of camera monitoring they’ll be looking for artics I bet.

Sometimes you’ve just got to plough on when you’re lost there’s no point doing some tricky reverse and hitting a pedestrian just to avoid some nimby weight limit.

Own Account Driver:
Very few coppers/camera operatives would be able to tell you the difference between an 18t and a 26 tonner. Assuming there is any kind of camera monitoring they’ll be looking for artics I bet.

Sometimes you’ve just got to plough on when you’re lost there’s no point doing some tricky reverse and hitting a pedestrian just to avoid some nimby weight limit.

if they use ANPR they can tell what its plated at from the reg no.?

Wasn’t sure if the colleague was being nice for a change but a lot of his comments are there to zb me up in this job so I guess tnet wins again :slight_smile: thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

Re tolls and axles, I refer the court to the case of Delboy & Rodney v The Humber Bridge.

Now only if I were clever enough to post links this would be funny.

the maoster:
Re tolls and axles, I refer the court to the case of Delboy & Rodney v The Humber Bridge.

Now only if I were clever enough to post links this would be funny.

Before Del and Rodney spoil it. I used to drive an artic that had two lifting axles on the trailer, it used to ■■■■ the tollbooth operator off at the Humber Bridge because Artics had 4 axles on his list. I only had to pay for a Class 5. However that loophole has now been closed since 2012.

Class 5

Goods vehicles having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes with 3 axles

Del: This car has only got three wheels!

Toll Booth.jpg

Operator: This one has only got two, but it is still £2.70 :stuck_out_tongue: