Weight limits and sign requirements

A colleague has been reported for driving through a 7.5 tonne weight limit zone. The drop was literally 100 yards further than the start of the zone from the drop end of the road (if that makes sense). If there was no ‘end of zone’ sign the other side of the ‘start of zone’ sign, would that mean he is technically still in the zone from where he entered it and could he use that as a defence if it came to it if that is the only way he has ever used to get to the drop? Any links to other similar posts would be appreciated thanks.

From my limited knowledge of this there does not need to be an ‘end of weight limit’ sign as the ‘start’ signs denote where the limit starts and ends

I can’t recall ever seeing and end of 7.5 tonne weight limit sign.

As with all my posts I stand to be cortrected and probably will be.

If it was the first time at that drop then it can be easily argued that he did not know that the drop was outside the zone at the other end but if not the first time then there is no excuse

If I understand the question correctly.
Your friend drove past a weight limit restriction sign to reach a drop that was 100 yds beyond it.
If that is correct it is hard to see that he has any defence
Alternatively, your query could mean
Your friend drove past a weight limit restriction sign and then dropped 100 yds after what he perceived to be the end of the weight restriction
Again I see no defence.
He has driven past the sign telling him not to. Pretty much "end of " IMO
Weight restrictions are (in my experience) simply signed by a sign warning of the restriction at both ends of the area covered and I have never seen a sign saying ‘end of restriction’
Sometimes a weight limit only applies one way on a road so possibly this situation would need an ‘end of’ sign.

edited to add
obviously we are not talking about 7-5 tons except for access etc, are we?

Are you lot driving round with your eyes closed? The end of a weight restriction is marked with the appropriate sign (a grey circular sign showing a picture of a lorry with a diagonal bar across it). You see them all over the place.

Roymondo:
Are you lot driving round with your eyes closed? The end of a weight restriction is marked with the appropriate sign (a grey circular sign showing a picture of a lorry with a diagonal bar across it). You see them all over the place.

This one?

I’ve never associated that with ‘end of weight limit’. Waiting, overnighting and total lorry bans I thought.

Think the OP is stuffed if there are no access or loading exceptions.

Found this and item 86 is the ‘end of weight limit’ sign I meant. legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 … ule/2/made

Since you haven’t stated wether the weight limit sign had exemptions or not! If it had none, it is basicly a no entry sign for vehicles over 7.5 tonnes! you cant pass that sign, even if the drop is 100 yards past it.
A good example of that is were it is used to ban trucks from travelling south through thetford off the A11, that weight limit doesnt have an end of restiction sign, because it doesnt need one.

mogga1:
Found this and item 86 is the ‘end of weight limit’ sign I meant. legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 … ule/2/made

If it has an end of zone sign, there must be an exeption to the limit, like for access or loading, so if it has, and the tip was with in the weight limit, he hasn’t broken the law IMHO!

Being reported for driving through a limit such as this is no big deal IF IT IS THE FIRST TIME because they is usually no way to know exactly where the drop is in relation to that limit

mogga1:

Er - that’ll be diagram 622.2, which is on Page 86… :wink:

but if you spend your life driving something over the weight limits, you never go through the restriction signs and so never see the end of the restriction sign :smiley:

del949:

but if you spend your life driving something over the weight limits, you never go through the restriction signs and so never see the end of the restriction sign :smiley:

I still see them when I’m driving my car, riding my bike or simply walking…

del949:

True if you ONLY ever drive heavy vehicles but I also occasionally drive a car and have seen these signs in plenty of places.

Is there perhaps somewhere where detailed legislation information can be found regarding how these signs MUST be positioned? Anyone know?

I have often spent ages driving round avoiding weight limits only to find the drop is INSIDE the weight limit area and I could have gone past the first limit sign I came across quite legitimately! :angry:

Roymondo:

mogga1:

Er - that’ll be diagram 622.2, which is on Page 86… :wink:

Oops. Is that what those numbers mean. lol

If you follow the law to the letter, then lorries cannot deliver to Horcott Road trading estate in Fairford as the weight limit signs at either end of the road are 18t mgw with no exemptions on them. It’s time all weight limit signs had “for x number of yards/miles” on them.
Had a close call with a weak canal bridge near Theale station yesterday; I wanted Shenfield Mill which the entrance was right at the bridge. On a map it’s not shown, but “Mill Cottages” were and if I’d guessed wrong, a long detour would have followed.

Muckaway:
If you follow the law to the letter, then lorries cannot deliver to Horcott Road trading estate in Fairford as the weight limit signs at either end of the road are 18t mgw with no exemptions on them.

They can - but only if they are under 18T MGW. What is so hard to understand about that?

ROG:
Being reported for driving through a limit such as this is no big deal IF IT IS THE FIRST TIME because they is usually no way to know exactly where the drop is in relation to that limit

I got done a few years ago for going through a weight limit zone, the first time I ever went into Gloucester. I even stopped and asked for directions at a local garage and was directed that way, so thought I had to use that road to gain access. It wasn’t until I got to the other end of the road that I realised there must be another way in, because the weight restriction ended.

I explained all this on the NIP I received. I still got a £60 fine, I can’t remember if there were points as well.