Weight Limit Summons

adam277:
Would of been cheaper to just take a hammer to the signs at midnight then take the photos of the lack of signage. :grimacing:

A fella a few years ago went down for doing that to try and dodge a speeding fine. :laughing:

Depending which way you came from Chilton, you would have passed a sign at Rowstock before turning East on the A417 saying 17t weight limit 10 miles otherwise at the bottom of Hagbourne Hill as you turn right onto the A417 it clearly states 18t limit 7 miles. As you exit Blewbury there is a huge blue sign stating 18t limit 4 miles ahead. Last but not least at you approach the top of the hill for the turn to Cholsey the 15ft high junction sign clearly shows 18t limit 2 miles ahead. I know these are here because iā€™ve lived here for the past 42 years

Trying to say there is inadequate signage is pure fantasy, no way on earth were you trapped inside the limit. You drove for nearly 10 miles passing a number of clear signs stating there was an approaching weight limit and took no action to avoid it.

We all make mistakes from time to time but i canā€™t see how this is anyone elses fault but yours.

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m doing RDC and farm work now - rather than all this London bull. Curfews this, ā€œfloatingā€ weight limits that, and missing signageā€¦ Thereā€™s arguments for there being ā€œLondon Weightingā€ for those drivers that have the mis-fortune to have to drive into the center of town. :imp:

I managed to only get fined the once in the 15 months I was working @ Waitrose via agency - for letting myself get carved up by a BMW (or was it a BLM?) so I couldnā€™t quite get my arse out of a junction box Iā€™d commited into as a gap appeared, only for overtaking knob to cut in and take the space I was just going forā€¦

Driving down tight spaces - I can handle. Driving down streets wide enough to land a B52 on - that have hidden 7.5t signs, or a ā€œCurfewā€ that weā€™re supposed to know off heart like ā€œThe Knowledgeā€ for that particular street - is a liability to this industry thatā€™ll catch everyone sooner or later. :frowning:

jimroyale:

Big Joe:
As an update, I pleaded guilty by post with mitigating circumstances, and my fine was Ā£380.
Ā£200 fine
Ā£100 costs
Ā£80 victim surcharge :question: :open_mouth:

It might of been worse as the max fine could have been Ā£1000 + costs etc.

Anyway, for those that have asked, here is the route. I managed to get from the A34 to past the Blewbury Junction without passing any warning signs, a fact I highlighted in my defence with photogaraphs taken from a recce I took in the car early one sunday morning.
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ā€¦ MiDK7Msgse

was this yours and your companyā€™s first offence for this? or have you or your company had a warning for weight restrictions before?

No my ā€œfirstā€ offence :grimacing:

nickyboy:
Depending which way you came from Chilton, you would have passed a sign at Rowstock before turning East on the A417 saying 17t weight limit 10 miles otherwise at the bottom of Hagbourne Hill as you turn right onto the A417 it clearly states 18t limit 7 miles. As you exit Blewbury there is a huge blue sign stating 18t limit 4 miles ahead. Last but not least at you approach the top of the hill for the turn to Cholsey the 15ft high junction sign clearly shows 18t limit 2 miles ahead. I know these are here because iā€™ve lived here for the past 42 years

Trying to say there is inadequate signage is pure fantasy, no way on earth were you trapped inside the limit. You drove for nearly 10 miles passing a number of clear signs stating there was an approaching weight limit and took no action to avoid it.

We all make mistakes from time to time but i canā€™t see how this is anyone elses fault but yours.

No not pure fantasy, I was able to prove with photos of all the junctions I passed that there was no signs warning of the limit at Streatley facing my direction of travel, only ones for the limit at Pagbourne which I wasnā€™t going anywhere near.The first one for Streatley was a single sign on the offside 100m after the Blewbury cross roads. Options to safely turn a laden artic low loader after that were very limited.
The options you listed after Blewbury either had height limits or were 7.5 tonne limits, I took the lesser of the evils.
I took advice from an ex traffic cop who agreed Iā€™d done the right thing to continue, but I was stuffed otherwise and I should plead guilty with mitigating circumstances and loads of photos.