Weight Limit Summons

Sorry mate, but (unless they’ve changed the signs recently) that railway bridge just outside Streatley has advance warning signs of the 7.5T limit at 2.5 miles if approaching from the North (just before Streatley) and 1.5 miles if approaching from the South (at Pangbourne) - in both cases at major junctions where it would be a simple matter to just go the other way (via Wallingford and Reading).

My Company has a letter a few years ago as my brother went through 7.5t weigh limit un laden in a 10t wagon between Shillingford and Stadhampton on route to Thame , we wrote back and admitted it ,we werewarned but no action taken ,funny thing was I went on the same road the very next day in my 6t gross weight truck ,I weighted more than him in total but was under the 7.5t limit ,silly if you ask me !

Wasn’t london by chance Was it?
I’ll admit for my sins I have been down a few that say no veichel over7.5 or 18t expect for access…
As at times can’t find any alternative way when I’m literally less than 1 mile from my drop.
Had a fine once from London for doing it. Never from other places though
Was am 80 fine or something…
So lesson learnt.
If sign says weight limit weak bridge etc I’ll avoid but if says except for access I can’t see a problem if I’m almost where I need to be

Drove through Bradford on Avon last week and now the oap bridge mafia are now wearing high vis vests with POLICE on the back and on the breast, how on earth can they get away with that?
Unless there is some tiny print below it that says something support officer or some such ballcocks.

The one at Streatley is a money trap as once you are through you can turn north at the Bull Pub or the junction before it and no weight limit. As to the bridge to Reading much further on there are plenty of junctions to reverse into and plenty of signs. I’ve found myself in the same trap too. Also as you enter the 18t from Wallingford there’s a farm drive on the right to reverse into and go back out the way you came in. Thanks for the heads up though as I’ve run the same 18t limit at 26t a few times.

Do the sad cretins with hi vis on have the word polite printed on the back in the same way as some other sad ■■■■■?

ROADRANGER:
Do the sad cretins with hi vis on have the word polite printed on the back in the same way as some other sad [zb]?

I’m sure it said Police. But maybe my eyesight isn’t as good as I think it is.

Big Joe:

Conor:

Big Joe:
BTW the limit was at Streatley in West Berks, all 50 metres of it. So if anyone feels the need to travel north on the A34 and head east at the Chilton interchange, beware :exclamation: :exclamation:

So you found the signs you didn’t think existed when you went back?

Nope they weren’t there, only signs for a weight limit further on than Streatley. By the time I’d passed the first sign warning me of an approaching limit, the options for turning were zilch. I was told if I appeared personally in court I may have stood a chance of getting off, but not guaranteed.

Sounds like that tiny stretch at the farm…never understood why that bit had a limit on it…there’s no bridge or anything there, just the farm that is situated between the 2 18t signs either side of it. We used to come from Pangbourne direction and to avoid Skew Bridge (the 7.5t limit one), we could nip down through Beale Park and out the other side…and as for turning right at the Bull at Streatley crossroads in an artic…good luck with that! Out of curiosity, where exactly had you come from and where were you hoping to go…someone here should be able to give you a better route for future reference.

I was having a look around y’day to see if there was a particular reason why that short stretch was 18t and came across this!! tinyurl.com/yyopg29s

ROADRANGER:

Conor:

Big Joe:
BTW the limit was at Streatley in West Berks, all 50 metres of it. So if anyone feels the need to travel north on the A34 and head east at the Chilton interchange, beware :exclamation: :exclamation:

So you found the signs you didn’t think existed when you went back?

You must be such fun in a drivers waiting room. Pub.
Delete as appropriate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
theres not a lot of scope for rdc interaction when your on a billy no mates night trunk to lockerbie every night…if the hat fits?? :unamused:

Actrosman:
I was having a look around y’day to see if there was a particular reason why that short stretch was 18t and came across this!! tinyurl.com/yyopg29s

There was a similar issue with a tractor a few days ago!
newburytoday.co.uk/news/new … y-pub.html

I work in Pangbourne and the railway bridge is a pain, quite often get back to work at 3/4am and theres an artic outside the elephant pub lost because the M4 is closed !

Stacker:

Actrosman:

I work in Pangbourne and the railway bridge is a pain, quite often get back to work at 3/4am and theres an artic outside the elephant pub lost because the M4 is closed !

Remember when the Ford artic went over on M4 a few years ago e/b 12-11? It was still closed & backed up miles when I came back to Reading in the early hours…I came off at 13 into Newbury, A4 to Tidmarsh Rd, down into Pangbourne and just turned right into Reading (it’s handy being ‘local’!), Grovelands Road - Water Rd, left on Tilehurst Rd, right onto Liebenhood Rd, left on Bath Rd, right onto Berkeley Ave, and bare right again to Rose Kiln Lane towards M4 j11… ‘my’ depot is on Worton Grange…the number of people trying to wave me down as I got to Pangbourne was quite high considering the time of day, assuming I would be trying to get under the bridge and they didn’t want me being on the news! It is possible to get to Didcot (turn left over the Downs also avoids the 18t limit) and beyond via Pangbourne Hill and avoiding the left turn at Streatley (lower Basildon by the garage or further up a bit in the dip) but as you may know, the roads are bloody tight…I used to deliver to The Beehive, Pangbourne College and a few other places out that way and had to prey nowt was coming the other way! I’ve also been known (not often though!) to nip off the 34 at Compton/Ilsley and worm through to Bradfield onto Tidmarsh Rd…not a route for the feint hearted in an artic in the dark if you don’t know where you’re going! A friend of the wife’s husband came down Streatley Hill in a cement mixer…breaks failed and he was left with no choice but to bin it up the bank…it obviously overturned and he was lucky to survive but was left with massive injuries

Actrosman:

Stacker:

Actrosman:

Remember when the Ford artic went over on M4 a few years ago e/b 12-11? It was still closed & backed up miles when I came back to Reading in the early hours…I came off at 13 into Newbury, A4 to Tidmarsh Rd, down into Pangbourne and just turned right into Reading (it’s handy being ‘local’!), Grovelands Road - Water Rd, left on Tilehurst Rd, right onto Liebenhood Rd, left on Bath Rd, right onto Berkeley Ave, and bare right again to Rose Kiln Lane towards M4 j11… ‘my’ depot is on Worton Grange…the number of people trying to wave me down as I got to Pangbourne was quite high considering the time of day, assuming I would be trying to get under the bridge and they didn’t want me being on the news! It is possible to get to Didcot (turn left over the Downs also avoids the 18t limit) and beyond via Pangbourne Hill and avoiding the left turn at Streatley (lower Basildon by the garage or further up a bit in the dip) but as you may know, the roads are bloody tight…I used to deliver to The Beehive, Pangbourne College and a few other places out that way and had to prey nowt was coming the other way! I’ve also been known (not often though!) to nip off the 34 at Compton/Ilsley and worm through to Bradfield onto Tidmarsh Rd…not a route for the feint hearted in an artic in the dark if you don’t know where you’re going! A friend of the wife’s husband came down Streatley Hill in a cement mixer…breaks failed and he was left with no choice but to bin it up the bank…it obviously overturned and he was lucky to survive but was left with massive injuries

Oh the Ford lorry, I was stuck on the M4 for 4 hours that day!!

It’s good to know the shortcuts, there’s plenty about if you know them, don’t usually worry about the branches as the mainland drivers have already been there :wink:

That Streatley hill is pretty steep coming down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an update, I pleaded guilty by post with mitigating circumstances, and my fine was £380.
£200 fine
£100 costs
£80 victim surcharge :question: :open_mouth:

It might of been worse as the max fine could have been £1000 + costs etc.

Anyway, for those that have asked, here is the route. I managed to get from the A34 to past the Blewbury Junction without passing any warning signs, a fact I highlighted in my defence with photogaraphs taken from a recce I took in the car early one sunday morning.
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … MiDK7Msgse

classic…you cop a guilty,nobody cares even remotely about your circumstances and you cop a standard kerching penalty.
its a win win for the court and the nimbys who will no doubt be celebrating with a few ovaltines and a big bag of werthers originals with the knowledge of bringing to justice a perpetrator of evil like yourself. just sad,though you must want to find one of them and quietly kick their teeth out?

Is it normal for a 7.5t offence to “go straight to court summons” then? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Doesn’t one get a PCN for such things, like parking on double yellows, sitting in a box junction, or jumping a red light?

I thought it was just the “speeding” ones that went to court summonses and points on licence… :confused: :question:

I always wondered about these roads that say 7.5t “at all times, except for access” - and yet there’s artics going to and fro 24/7… How do the cameras know which artics are supposed to be there, and which are merely taking short cuts, and therefore flouting the ban?

Brimsdown, Enfield - is one such place that comes to mind…

LBTS can tell which vehicles are supposed to be there, and which are not HOW exactly?

How does the 3.5t thing work as well? The implication is that the entire area is LBTS/Lorry Ban Zone - but look at all the wagons coming the other way out of the Brimsdown road in the picture…

The sign on the right of the two, is “7.5t at any time, no exceptions” by the looks of it… The sign on the left, the bog-standard LBTS one…

Winseer:
I always wondered about these roads that say 7.5t “at all times, except for access” - and yet there’s artics going to and fro 24/7… How do the cameras know which artics are supposed to be there, and which are merely taking short cuts, and therefore flouting the ban?

Brimsdown, Enfield - is one such place that comes to mind…

LBTS can tell which vehicles are supposed to be there, and which are not HOW exactly?

How does the 3.5t thing work as well? The implication is that the entire area is LBTS/Lorry Ban Zone - but look at all the wagons coming the other way out of the Brimsdown road in the picture…

The sign on the right of the two, is “7.5t at any time, no exceptions” by the looks of it… The sign on the left, the bog-standard LBTS one…

My advice to you, is to stick to arguing politik with Carryfast, and leave all things truck driving related to the drivers here…

Big Joe:
As an update, I pleaded guilty by post with mitigating circumstances, and my fine was £380.
£200 fine
£100 costs
£80 victim surcharge :question: :open_mouth:

It might of been worse as the max fine could have been £1000 + costs etc.

Anyway, for those that have asked, here is the route. I managed to get from the A34 to past the Blewbury Junction without passing any warning signs, a fact I highlighted in my defence with photogaraphs taken from a recce I took in the car early one sunday morning.
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … MiDK7Msgse

was this yours and your company’s first offence for this? or have you or your company had a warning for weight restrictions before?

Would of been cheaper to just take a hammer to the signs at midnight then take the photos of the lack of signage. :grimacing:
Heck you could of made a bit of money on scrap at the same time.

I know this is a unrelated point but you have retards like Mr. Khan who are trying to ‘revitalise’ the high street while at the same time fining lorries 24/7.
I worked for the co-op and the amount of fines they got was staggering in London and they just pay them and the cost gets put on the shop as running costs.

Now maybe the co-op can trouser that but the small shops can’t and they often have to trouser the cost.
If they want to bring the high street back to life they need to stop fining drivers for delivering goods.

I’ve literally delivered to places in which you can only park on the red route and you get a fine 100%…
OR you turn up to a shop and the ticket warden is waiting for you because he knows when the deliveries are.

But na… dead high street is all down to the rise of the internet.

Sadiq Khan is by far the worst Mayor of London in my living memory. Probably because he spends most of his time talking about anything other then issues facing London.