WEIGHT limit question

if a bridge has an 18t limit but your gross truck weight is 26t however you are empty and only weigh 16t are u allowed to go over the bridge? our place says no somethin to do with an environmental thingy. They say its nothing to do with your actual weight its what you can potentially weigh.

No you can’t, the signposted weight is the MGW (maximum gross weight) and it doesn’t matter how heavy you are at the time (unless the weight limit sign has a plate underneath reading “except empty vehicles”)

Almost all weight limits these days refer to your plated weight, also known as your MAM (Maximum authorised weight), MGW (maximum gross weight) or in the case of something with a trailer GCW (gross combination weight) or GTW (gross train weight). So essentially if you have a 3 axle rigid it doesn’t matter if you’re empty or loaded, you still can’t go down an 18t limit.

So your boss is right. There’s a rare thing!

Paul

repton:
Almost all weight limits these days refer to your plated weight

The exception being the signs mentioned in a thread currently a few lines down entitled “weight restrictions” which are a rarity.

It won’t stop me going over tower bridge in my 26t wagon with the lift axle up.

scotty1972:

I thought Tower bridge had a TOTAL weight limit ■■?

ROG:

scotty1972:

I thought Tower bridge had a TOTAL weight limit ■■?

Have only seen signs saying 18t…though there is a camera and sensors that trigger with any vehicle that goes over with 3 or more axles.

saw on tv last night as camera panned over the thames and an artic reefer could be seen on tower bridge :question: :confused:

(assuming your talking about london here :blush: :blush: )