Weight Limit question

I saw a road sign yesterday at the start of a street which said that the weight restriction for that street was 17 tonnes. At the time I was driving a 3 axle , 26 tonne (gvw) DAF. Now obviously if I had been at full weight I’d have not been permitted to use that route but what if I had been unladen? My weight would have probably been less than 17 tonnes so could I have used that route ? Does the sign refer to the actual weight and load (if any) or does it refer to the permitted Gross Vehicle Weight of the vehicle?

BigTightNuts:
Does the sign refer to the actual weight and load (if any)

No, enforcement would be far too difficult.

or does it refer to the permitted Gross Vehicle Weight of the vehicle?

Yes

I also have a question, roughly what is the GVW of a solo tractor unit?
Is it still 44T or something different?

stu675:

4 wheeler will be 18t 6 will be 26 t

blue estate:

stu675:

4 wheeler will be 18t 6 will be 26 t

Great thanks, and yes makes sense.

stu675:

Look on the ministry plate, usuall near side in the cab, must be easily accessible

Acorn:

stu675:

Look on the ministry plate, usuall near side in the cab, must be easily accessible

Was at home when asking.
24-25T GB -Eu.

Vehicle plate explained here:
gov.uk/government/publicati … rtificates

The “Train Weight” may well be 44T for a tractor unit.
That is normally the combined weight of the tractor and semitrailer.

For anyone else
1. 2.
Click for larger images.

Many thanks for your reply, that certainly clears that up. So my next question is this, how do the majority of truckers plan their route if they don’t want to part with several hundred quid for a Trucker Sat Nav?

HGV map, has most weight and height restrictions on it is the old school way of doing things.

BigTightNuts:
Many thanks for your reply, that certainly clears that up. So my next question is this, how do the majority of truckers plan their route if they don’t want to part with several hundred quid for a Trucker Sat Nav?

Do you have an Android phone? Road Lords is a free app that I use. Currently they’ve hidden it in the app store but you can email them help@roadlords.com

thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for the inconvenience. Please note that the ROAD LORDS application is currently available in closed beta testing. To install the application, please provide us with the e-mail address you use in your Play Store account. We will add it to the user’s list and send you the access link.

Or try sygic, I haven’t used it to be able to recommend.

BigTightNuts:
how do the majority of truckers plan their route if they don’t want to part with several hundred quid for a Trucker Sat Nav?

Personally I see having your own truckers sat-nav as par for the course if you want to get by as a professional driver. When I passed my class 2 (early to mid 2000’s) I foolishly listened to someone on these boards who said sat-navs were rubbish and I should learn to use maps, have an A-Z for ever major conurbation, blah blah blah.

After stuggling by for a week I realised my mistake and got a suitable device. Cutting corners rarely works out for the best in my experience. Live traffic updates from a good sat nav are worth their weight in gold.

Tom Tom truck nav with live traffic is my nav of choice.
Been faultless over the 5 years I have used it.
Cost £400 about 5 years ago and been worth every penny of that.
If it broke, I’d buy the same again, or it’s latest incarnation.
Live traffic is awesome, makes so much difference.
Lots of people shout Google maps, but when I get an alternative route offered due to an accident etc, I know i can accept it and know its a truck route and my nav has calculated it knowing my height, weight, type of vehicle etc, so no issues with width or weight restrictions or low bridges.

Can’t recommend it enough.

After 5 years, then £400 is neither here nor there. But at the other side looking at making the payment, you don’t know how long you will do this job, you don’t know how long the machine will work, you don’t know where you will find the money, it can look very difficult.
I can honestly say that Road Lords, for free, after a year, has been everything you two have had from your machines. Obviously it also has live traffic.
Genuine question, could your TomTom or Garmin navigate to STN9? Or would you need to tell it where that UPS depot was?

Is there any reason why the Tom Tom would not be able to navigate there?
Genuine question because I never had to visit an Amazon warehouse, there certainly weren’t as many around when I was driving as there are now.

I found the real problems with certain kinds of work (eg building supplies) was that most of the “delivery sites” were just a muddy field and didn’t actually have any proper address at all :laughing: What Three Words would be the most appropriate tool for that job now.

Zac_A:
Is there any reason why the Tom Tom would not be able to navigate there?
Genuine question because I never had to visit an Amazon warehouse, there certainly weren’t as many around when I was driving as there are now.

I found the real problems with certain kinds of work (eg building supplies) was that most of the “delivery sites” were just a muddy field and didn’t actually have any proper address at all [emoji38] What Three Words would be the most appropriate tool for that job now.

Because I imagine that Tomtom would require a postcode, and then it would only direct you to the entire postcode, whereas road lords as a community project (like Waze maybe) has a load of truck relevant Poi’s input for the benefit of everyone using it.

Cuttlefish:
For anyone else

Click for larger images.

stu675:

Just for clarity…

The “Gross Weight 24000” on the plate isn’t the weight of the “solo unit.”

“24000” is the gross weight (maximum) that the unit can weigh when coupled to a fully loaded trailer.

This means that a maximum legal load on the trailer (giving 44000 GTW) may cause the tractor unit to be overloaded if the weight of the load is badly distributed.

To answer your question Stu, the weight of the unit running solo is probably somewhere around 8000ish.

dieseldave:

Cuttlefish:
For anyone else

Click for larger images.

stu675:

Just for clarity…

“24000” is the gross weight (maximum) that the unit can weigh when coupled to a fully loaded trailer.

This means that a maximum legal load on the trailer (giving 44000 GTW) may cause the tractor unit to be overloaded if the weight of the load is badly distributed.

To answer your question Stu, the weight of the unit running solo is probably somewhere around 8000ish.

For the purpose of weight limits, the solo unit’s relevant weight is 24000Kgs. What the unit actually weighs is NOT relevant.

dieseldave:

Cuttlefish:
For anyone else

Click for larger images.

stu675:

Just for clarity…

Yes, thanks, that all makes sense. I was asking for the purposes of what weight limit I can legally use, so it’s 26, not that you see many of those.