Weight Limit Query

Where you see a Maximum Gross Weight sign ( eg "Weak Bridge 18T mgw) does the limit apply to the plated gross weight of the vehicle or the actual weight at the time you encounter the restriction?

In other words, can a 26t rigid that is empty or lightly loaded (under 18t gross) drive through the above restriction?

Cheers

Nez

I’ve always understood it to be the plated weight off the vehicle some narrow lanes may be marked as a 7.5 not because there’s a bridge etc but because its bloody tight,on the same sort off subject what is the fine for breaking a weight limit I’ve never known any one who’s been caught and I don’t fancy trying to find out in my own motor :slight_smile:

If there is just a red circle, white background with a weight in it eg 18t, then that is a “structural” weight limit and means that, yes, a lightly loaded 26t is legal to go over it. It’s the weight of the vehicle as it stands at the time. It also applies to buses/coaches.

But where there is a picture of a truck with a weight limit, then it applies to the MAM of the vehicle as it is an “environmental” weight limit. ie they dont want your nasty dirty smelly lorry going through the housing estate. (except for access as described on a board). This one does not apply to buses/coaches.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The MGW is the Maximum plated weight and therefore the example you gave would put you in contravention of the sign (unless you were collecting or delivering and there was an ‘except for loading’ plate underneath the sign).

A sign that displays a maximum gross weight, means the maximum weight the vehicle is plated for.

Thanks, that clarifies it for me.

Cheers

I would also assume that applies to a tractor unit running solo. ie… MGW is 44t even though only solo

dar1976:
I would also assume that applies to a tractor unit running solo. ie… MGW is 44t even though only solo

44t is the train weight I would Imagine.

Peter Smythe:
If there is just a red circle, white background with a weight in it eg 18t, then that is a “structural” weight limit and means that, yes, a lightly loaded 26t is legal to go over it. It’s the weight of the vehicle as it stands at the time. It also applies to buses/coaches.

But where there is a picture of a truck with a weight limit, then it applies to the MAM of the vehicle as it is an “environmental” weight limit. ie they dont want your nasty dirty smelly lorry going through the housing estate. (except for access as described on a board). This one does not apply to buses/coaches.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You learn something new every day. Thanks Pete :smiley:

If you do go over a weight limited bridge & get caught/ photographed or even Grassed up by a Nimby & it falls down up to (i think) a year later, you can be held liable for the cost of repair/rebuild. Bridges start around a million quid & go up to a Zillion quid,so best start saving now !

Terry T:

dar1976:

44t is the train weight I would Imagine.

I’m having a blond moment.

Yes of course it would be Train Weight.

Lol ! Now your confusing the issue. A ‘Train’ weighs about a thousand tonnes, especially if its carrying aggregate. I’d like to see one of them go over a 7.5 ton bridge. Chuckle chuckle !