Weight limit fine

Hi near my yard is a 7.5 weight limit I drive around it unless I’m delivering In it which is rare but the builders merchants next to us frequently cut through it. I was talking to one off the drivers today and asked why he bothers if he’s paid hourly he said they tell him to go that way so he’s not bothered I he’s caught they can pay the fine. So fair enough upto him but I wondered what the fine actually is and do you get points on you’re liscence because they won’t be taking them for him if you do will they!

According to another thread on here, by ROG…

Contravention of a weight restriction order is a criminal offence punishable on summary conviction with a maximum penalty of £1000. Usually the fine is much lower than this. The offence is not endorseable so no penalty points. Both the driver and owner/operator of the vehicle can be liable for these offences.

The fines and court costs can be quite expensive.

Lorry drivers fined £4,000 for breaking weight restrictions

Thanks, it’s ok them saying they’ll pay the fine but when it comes to £4,000 then it’ll be interesting to see what happens then!

We always used to ignore the weight limit through Derby as it saved about 6 miles! Just bury your head in an A-Z and keep going. :wink: One owner reckoned that if you went through about ten times and only got caught once then you were still quids in against fuel costs, I think the fines were a little smaller back then though!! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Its just like other offences in this job the fine can vary depending on who catches you police vosa or trading standards.

I never liked it when the local councils do things like change the A5 into the A5103 to get around being able to 7.5 tonne-off what was a trunk road into St Albans.

Bloody nymby’s. Let 'em starve if they hate delivery vehicles in their town so much! :imp:

Google Lorry Watch at Bradford on Avon, Stephanie Ridout wants a ban on all commercial vehicles in HER town.

The limit on the A206 at Greenwich (old college) must be a good money-maker. Just why it has a weight limit is anyones’ guess. I delivered down the Old Kent Road on Friday, then had to go to Rhodes i Hoskins Street. Due to weight limit had to go via Shooters Hill and toward Blackwall Tunnel. Massive detour in peak time. At least if you come from Blackwall end of the A206, there is signage and a turnaround area.
Always wondered how you are meant to know where a weight limit ends, and that signs should say “7.5t except for access, for 2miles…”

toby1234abc:
Google Lorry Watch at Bradford on Avon, Stephanie Ridout wants a ban on all commercial vehicles in HER town.

I hope she doesn’t mind going to Trowbridge for her shopping then.

They did not object to killer onster juggernauts that delivered goods to build the new posh housing estate called Kingston Mills.

I believe you would have to be really unlucky to get caught out in a weight limit and get a fine. I have done routes at work and not known where i am going and have gone through a weight limit only to find the pub/restaurant is just the other side of it :blush:

I am sure that if you have a reasonable excuse like the above you should be ok,on the other hand if you use the same route week in week out to save 20 mins then that is another matter.

Most weight limits are just to stop “killer lorries” driving through villages,very few are actually because of weak bridges,tight turns etc… its the anti lorry brigade trying to dictate when and where they want us to drive.

They even have “lorry watch” in claydon near ipswich now where the locals stand there with their bright yellow hi-viz on and a clipboard noting down your registration plate. We deliver to the school there and i see them often. :imp: