Weight limit anomaly

Does anyone know the legal validity of a weight limit sign (with access for loading etc) which doesn’t have an end sign?

This 18t limit sign is not followed by an ‘end of restriction sign’. Technically EVERYTHING after this sign is an 18t limit, which is every road in the UK! I can’t see how this is legally enforceable, but I’d like to know if there’s anything written to support this.

If you had a delivery 100 yards past the sign, you could easily argue that it was within the zone, but how far could that be pushed? A mile? Ten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sign is there to MARK a weight limit in an area. The sign marks an area that has a LAW restricting access. The sign doesn’t make the Law or restrict access. Access is restricted by the written law.

Interesting point the OP makes but that’ll mean a load more signage cluttering the streets. I’ve loads of examples where an approach to some towns are limited but if you don’t know the area and need to deliver to the town centre, you’ve no idea where this limit ends.

The end of the limit will be written as part of the traffic management order, absence of the end sign would not negate that. But one way would be to get caught then find out if it is!!!

will it not just be a case of the offence is committed by passing the sign as they will have ringed every road leading to the village/bridge ect?
hence they dont need one on the other side of it.
when you walk past the sign for the customs saying anything to declare with your suitcases bulging with cigggys,then you automatically have committed an offence.
they dont have another sign in the carparks,saying you jammy git,you got away with it…

That sign limits Artics, trailers, and Multiwheel vehicles by definition and may be used where there is a chance of ice or snow, grounding, narrow bridge, sharp bends, anything really shown by an additional plate.

I suppose it ends when you get to a new road, give way, roundabout or junction.

PROHIBITION OF GOODS VEHICLES (OTHER THAN STRUCTURAL WEIGHT LIMIT)

622.1A Prohibition of goods vehicles exceeding the maximum gross weight indicated

“7.5 T” may be varied to “18T”. May be used with diagram 554.3 or 620

5.15 The sign to diagram 622.1A is used to give effect to an order prohibiting goods vehicles with a plated maximum gross weight exceeding that shown on the sign (indicated in tonnes). The restriction applies to such vehicles even if they are unladen or they are the towing tractors of articulated vehicles and in these conditions their weight is below that shown on the sign. This sign is used when goods vehicles are prohibited for environmental reasons, e.g. where roads are narrow and unsuitable for large vehicles, or to protect residents from the nuisance caused by lorries in residential streets. The sign is not used for structural limits, such as those to protect weak bridges

Theoretically, “end of restriction” signs are not needed because there’s no reason why you should see one. Because if you do see one, you’ve obviously driven past the first one to arrive at it, which you shouldn’t have done.

ezydriver:
“end of restriction” signs are unnecessary because there’s no reason why you should see one. Because if you do see one, you’ve obviously driven past the first one to arrive at it, which you shouldn’t have done.

See original post, specifically the part about ‘except for access’

Ah right, well in that case then, if you’re ever stopped, and the police ask where you were trying to access, say “the other side”.

Parts of Bath are like that, you find a restriction on a road from one direction, but approach from the other and there is no restriction.
If you follow the road from Claverton to Monkton Combe that doesn’t have any weight limit on it, you will get stuck in anything much bigger than a 7.5t mgw truck. On the other hand the best road in has a 7.5t except for access restriction. Bloody stupid.

Muckaway:
Parts of Bath are like that, you find a restriction on a road from one direction, but approach from the other and there is no restriction.
If you follow the road from Claverton to Monkton Combe that doesn’t have any weight limit on it, you will get stuck in anything much bigger than a 7.5t mgw truck. On the other hand the best road in has a 7.5t except for access restriction. Bloody stupid.

Some roads in France have “one way” weight limits. Weight restriction from one direction (No exception for access) but no restriction from other end. Effectively two way light traffic, but a one way system for trucks. Works well enough.

This has popped up under another heading.

Trading Standards have alerted a local Parish Council recently after a report of an overweight vehicle breaching a seven & half tonne limit and the response was as followed:
Kim Percival – Trading Standards wrote:
“I have verified that this vehicle has a maximum gross weight of 18 tonnes.

Under our current compliance Policy we only take formal action in respect of vehicles in excess of 4 times the limit (30 tonnes)
However, details of this incident will be logged against both the location and the operator in cases of further breeches by the company”
Since this report has become a public issue local County Councillors are making further inquiries at this time to establish facts.

Edited to correct the spelling mistakes!

Update on this. I spoke with a local driver who pointed out that an ‘end of restriction’ sign does exist but it is currently laying down in the ditch!