weight distribution

i’m driving 4 wheel tractor with tri axle trailer. On my way out i was carrying 16 pallets weighing 1.3t each overall weight 22t. I put the full load on the front which was a clear mistake as i was over weight on my drive axle. I’ve got the same load on my return journey can you advice the best way to spread the weight properly. Its oil drums if that helps.

you could try 2 doubles at front row of 4 singles down middle of trailer then 4 doubles to finish, thats so long as you have straps to secure the 4 singles from sliding from side to side thta should take up the same space as 20 pallets if they were all doubles. i must admit i dont get this problem as i run a 3 axel unit. hope it helps though

I would tend to go,
Single
Double
Single
Double
Single
Double
Single
Double

In my opinion, the paired pallets would tend to lock-in the drums on the single pallets better than a line of single pallets. You get the weight a bit further back, off your drive axle. Again, assuming you’ve got enough straps.
If not, single-double-single-double…

If this is going to be a regular load, rather than a one off, I’d spend a bit of time experimenting, to make sure the weight distribution is right

thanks i didn’t get your replies in time so i’ve put 6 pallets on the front and 10 on the back using plenty of straps to keep everything in place. It now handles 100% better so i don’t think i’m far off.

If only 16 pallets, I’m guessing that the drums are on standard pallets.

Start loading 2 pallet spaces back and trap or rope down the front pallets so they don’t move, that will disribute the weight, Or put 2 stacks of empty pallets on the front end I used to do that carrying coca cola when the weight limmit was 38 tonne.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
If only 16 pallets, I’m guessing that the drums are on standard pallets.

Start loading 2 pallet spaces back and trap or rope down the front pallets so they don’t move, that will disribute the weight, Or put 2 stacks of empty pallets on the front end I used to do that carrying coca cola when the weight limmit was 38 tonne.

That always comes in handy later too, you never run short of spending money :smiley:
If you have to ask, Im not telling you. :wink:

Two choices.

Do what Simon said. Single, Double, Single, Double.

Or do like they do with a 20’ container. Get the load between the legs and the middle trailer axle. ish

limeyphil:
Two choices.

Do what Simon said. Single, Double, Single, Double.

Or do like they do with a 20’ container. Get the load between the legs and the middle trailer axle. ish

^^^^ That’s where they’d be on my trailer.

Wheel Nut:
That always comes in handy later too, you never run short of spending money :smiley:

All depends on the colour white = :smiley: blue = :cry:

Well done Wheel Nut, thats what I would do,

The simple formula, if you know how much deck space it will take up, is to split the M/T space equaly front and back and keep it in one lump in the middle

toowise:

Wheel Nut:

All depends on the colour white = :smiley: blue = :cry:

non blue pallets are my favourite especially after todays drop to a building site and being asked by the forkie if I wouldnt mind taking a load of pallets :slight_smile: one visit to the pallet bloke, down from the Mercedes dealer in Stoke on Trent on my way home and I was £ 90 up :slight_smile:

Andydisco:
one visit to the pallet bloke, down from the Mercedes dealer in Stoke on Trent on my way home and I was £ 90 up :slight_smile:

Sweet! :smiley:

Andydisco:
non blue pallets are my favourite especially after todays drop to a building site and being asked by the forkie if I wouldnt mind taking a load of pallets :slight_smile: one visit to the pallet bloke, down from the Mercedes dealer in Stoke on Trent on my way home and I was £ 90 up :slight_smile:

I used to go in there with blues years ago and he wouldnt have them, in fact never found anybody that would.