Weekly working time limit

im a new driver and ive read in the wtd that a driver cannot work more than 60 hours in a single week.

the company im working with expects you to max your hours if need be and my question is how are you supposed to max your hours if you can only work on average ten hours a day?

jay0:
im a new driver and ive read in the wtd that a driver cannot work more than 60 hours in a single week.

the company im working with expects you to max your hours if need be and my question is how are you supposed to max your hours if you can only work on average ten hours a day?

POA, presumably. Your company will expect you to book a certain amount of POA each and every day to keep within the WTD rules. That, and the 60 hours per week is an average, calculated over a period of either 17 or 26 weeks. Theoretically, if you’re way over this average when the end of the reference period rolls around, you should be given time off. :lol

Rhythm Thief:

jay0:

POA, presumably. Your company will expect you to book a certain amount of POA each and every day to keep within the WTD rules. That, and the 60 hours per week is an average, calculated over a period of either 17 or 26 weeks. Theoretically, if you’re way over this average when the end of the reference period rolls around, you should be given time off. :lol

I never get a chance to put the tacho on poa because im constantly on the go moving trailers from one place to another and they haven’t mentioned anything about poa to me so im not really sure how I can keep the hours under the limit with out taking a few days off every week.

60 is the max. 48 is the average. Breaks and POA don’t count so they’ll be wanting you to use one or both to keep your hours down.

If you’re constantly shunting trailers then break or POA are obviously not available to you so constant max hours every week is a no no and I’d like to hear how your company want you to fit this around the regs.

Maybe your company does not give a toss about the RTD and as the authorities have not bothered with it for over 5 years then …

When you say moving trailers, is this on or off road?

Terry T:
60 is the max. 48 is the average. Breaks and POA don’t count so they’ll be wanting you to use one or both to keep your hours down.

If you’re constantly shunting trailers then break or POA are obviously not available to you so constant max hours every week is a no no and I’d like to hear how your company want you to fit this around the regs.

thanks for clearing that up and I will let you know what they say.

ROG:
Maybe your company does not give a toss about the RTD and as the authorities have not bothered with it for over 5 years then …

I would say your right they probably don’t care.

Are you saying that if I get stopped by vosa they wont care that ive worked over 60 hours per week? because I was under the impression that they will fine you for every infringement they can.

bazstan009:

on road. I pick up trailers at a factory and bring them to a warehouse 20 or 30 miles away and drop them there, i then bring empty ones back and so on, i also take some of the trailers to the port for shipping.

jay0:

ROG:

Are you saying that if I get stopped by vosa they wont care that ive worked over 60 hours per week? because I was under the impression that they will fine you for every infringement they can.

VOSA aint bothered about the RTD and I doubt you can find anyone on here who says different

VOSA do not have any sanctions in their sanctions list for the RTD so they do not bother checking at the roadside or by visiting companies to check it from what we gather on here - certainly not heard of any cases where a fine etc has been imposed on a company or driver in the last 5+ years

The EU made a directive which the UK govt must follow so the UK govt said OK and gave the remit to VOSA but no extra staff for enforcing it = EU directive complied with so no fine for UK govt

jay0:

bazstan009:

on road. I pick up trailers at a factory and bring them to a warehouse 20 or 30 miles away and drop them there, i then bring empty ones back and so on, i also take some of the trailers to the port for shipping.

that would be delivering trailers (goods) so under EU regs and the RTD

ROG:

jay0:

ROG:

VOSA aint bothered about the RTD and I doubt you can find anyone on here who says different

VOSA do not have any sanctions in their sanctions list for the RTD so they do not bother checking at the roadside or by visiting companies to check it from what we gather on here - certainly not heard of any cases where a fine etc has been imposed on a company or driver in the last 5+ years

The EU made a directive which the UK govt must follow so the UK govt said OK and gave the remit to VOSA but no extra staff for enforcing it = EU directive complied with so no fine for UK govt

Surely though Rog, in the event of a VOSA inspection at an operators premises, they may very well carry out checks on a drivers time sheet?

Lusk:

ROG:

jay0:

ROG:

Surely though Rog, in the event of a VOSA inspection at an operators premises, they may very well carry out checks on a drivers time sheet?

They have done so already and given ADVICE = that’s it

As was stated…maximum 60 hours per week, average 48 hours over 17/26 weeks…if your company wants more from you…it’s simple - they need an extra driver !!! Why are company’s obsessed with trying to get us to ‘live at work’■■? The RTD is there to protect driver’s from being exploited. I say 48 hours should be absolute maximum when driving LGV’s/PCV’s.
40 hrs per week would be EVEN better - just like office staff!!!

Daz1970:
As was stated…maximum 60 hours per week, average 48 hours over 17/26 weeks…if your company wants more from you…it’s simple - they need an extra driver !!! Why are company’s obsessed with trying to get us to ‘live at work’■■? The RTD is there to protect driver’s from being exploited. I say 48 hours should be absolute maximum when driving LGV’s/PCV’s.

I agree with you 60 hours is plenty but if what rog is saying is true then ive a feeling that the answer will be something along the lines of “if you don’t want to work the hours, we will get someone else”.

The max 60 hours is only for working time so shift time can be well beyond that

Daz1970:

+1

What gets me is people actively go for jobs with less pay but are able to work via the POA fiddle unending hours to make the pay up to almost a weeks wage for two weeks work, the mind boggles.

Of course, whether or not RTD is checked/enforced/complied with, jay0 will still definitely be limited to driving hours restrictions i.e. aggregate maximum 90 hours per fortnight behind the wheel. From his post it seems a large proportion of his shift is spent driving. So either way he cannot ‘max. out on hours’ - if he & company wish to be compliant/play by the rules.