Weekly wage ?

Just a quick one and not being too rude but what is an average wage for an average week day driving class 1,what should I expect to earn per 15 hr shift because I ain’t got a clue and don’t want me pants pulled down.is it realistic to be able to earn 350 per week after all deductions? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

What is £6.19 an hour x 15 less 45 mins break ? :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

dirty hands:
Just a quick one and not being too rude but what is an average wage for an average week day driving class 1,what should I expect to earn per 15 hr shift because I ain’t got a clue and don’t want me pants pulled down.is it realistic to be able to earn 350 per week after all deductions? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

I’d say an average weekday is about 12 hours, 5 days a week, 55 hours a week after breaks taken off. You should be taking over £350 a week for that. Some firms will pay less, some firms will pay more.

350 a week is easily achievable if you put the hours in.

Night out money (though you shouldn’t count it) can top it up.

If you max out your hours and have an employer who values you with a decent hourly rate, you should be nearer 450-500.

Hope that helps

It all depends on who you work for and where you are located, the further you get away from the major road networks and and densely populated areas the wages go down, a driver based in West Wales or Cornwall for example would consider £8 an hour to be the going rate.

The best jobs to be had are at large distribution hubs driving vehicles that are not operated for profit IE: Supermarkets, not everyone’s cup of tea.
Transport has become very competitive and the pay reflects this £7.50 an hour is not uncommon 20+ years ago a driver could net £300 a week Mon-Fri and be home every night.

seriously!! £7.50 per hour for class 1!!! daylight robbery, surely things have to come back to how they was years ago… but then again I suppose with all the eastern Europeans I guess not

this forum is mental i recently gave an example on the owner drivers forum of what i would pay for a weeks work with 2 nights out £540 and was told its PEANUTS and yet hear we are advising between £300 and £400 a week, how does that work ?

Oh dear this is a big can of worms…

weewulliewinkie:
this forum is mental i recently gave an example on the owner drivers forum of what i would pay for a weeks work with 2 nights out £540 and was told its PEANUTS and yet hear we are advising between £300 and £400 a week, how does that work ?

Well to be fair, the £540 you’re talking about was self employed gross earnings for 60 hours and included night out money for 3 nights.

Unless I’ve missed something I think you’ll find this thread is about earning after stoppages on PAYE.

tachograph:

weewulliewinkie:

Well to be fair, the £540 you’re talking about was self employed gross earnings for 60 hours and included night out money for 3 nights.

Unless I’ve missed something I think you’ll find this thread is about earning after stoppages on PAYE.

fair comment and point taken :slight_smile:

You could earn £600 + Per week as a Class 1 (CAT C) driver.

:grimacing:

stagedriver:

You could, and I do for 5 days with 4 nights out…but next thing is a barrage of comments from the “don’t include bonuses and night out money in your wages” blah blah blah.
If i’m going to be in a wagon for 5 days, then I want to max my hours. Only interested in what the wage slip says at the end of the week.

dirty hands:

You don’t really want to be aiming at £350 per week. This is just low enough to push you further into debt each month, as it won’t pay even an average mortgage taken out the last 5 years, but it’s also just high enough to disqualify you from most handouts.

£500 or £200 alternate weeks works a lot better. You’ll still average a takehome of £350, but it will be enhanced by being over fewer hours at work averaged, and qualifies for tax rebates, lower commute costs, and less stress to boot. 5-2-5-2 pattern for average £350 takehome is better than 5-6-5-6 pattern for pretty much the same in many parts of the country. It’s not rocket science. Note this has nothing to do with benefits, or something only available to those with kids etc. If you earn £500 one week, and pay PAYE deductions of around £150, then you’ll get a large chunk of that back when you only worked the 2 days the following week. If you can mitigate some gross pay away in expenses as well, so much the better. The new 2013-14 tax codes make this even more of a decent option btw… The best way to avoid paying taxes at all is to drop your gross earnings any way you can on paper. Get your life back, because you can’t buy all those wasted years back when you’re older - no matter how rich you get, and how long you live. 4 days effective holiday accrued every fortnight rocks I’m telling you! :wink:

If you’re already prepared to work 15 hour shifts, then you’re already doing the hard part! Now just cut it back to 2 days a week every other week…

As for the industry standard, should you find one of those rare-as-rocking-horse-crap things known as “full time jobs”, then I reckon right now the going rate is £500 gross for 48 hours - ie slightly over £10ph if on agency, slightly less if on Full Time, as many firms don’t pay you for your breaks in today’s new enhanced T&C packages out there.

Just make sure you don’t find yourself at work 70-90 hours a week for 48 hours pay like some fools go for in the name of “an honest job”. Yeh, more like the firm saw them coming! :smiling_imp:

stagedriver:

Easy :sunglasses: I have blue eyes and exploit it to the max .HTH.

mike68:
It all depends on who you work for and where you are located, the further you get away from the major road networks and and densely populated areas the wages go down, a driver based in West Wales or Cornwall for example would consider £8 an hour to be the going rate.

The best jobs to be had are at large distribution hubs driving vehicles that are not operated for profit IE: Supermarkets, not everyone’s cup of tea.
Transport has become very competitive and the pay reflects this £7.50 an hour is not uncommon 20+ years ago a driver could net £300 a week Mon-Fri and be home every night.

I’ve heard that Morrisons isn’t making much money of late, but that Sittingbourne depot seems pretty state-of-the-art.

Shame they couldn’t get Cameron to endorse it when doing his piece there yesterday or whenever exactly it was. :blush: :sunglasses:

I remember the time when competetive meant you get head-hunted for superior skills and experience over the next bod…

n.b. head-hunted means you get a payrise making an upheaval from one firm to another (possibly burning bridges on the way) worthwhile. :unamused: