Weekly Rest

milodon:
yes, looked it up on the vosa guidebook and now it’s clear. apologies for being a nuisance :laughing:

You are not a nuisance at all !!

If you were then I have been at least a hundred times that in the past - ask coffeeholic or tachograph !!

I enjoyed the debate but got disappointed with myself for not managing to explain it in a way that was right for you

Going back to the OP…

I reckon that in the future you are either going to start the first shift back on a monday or possibly tuesday so that the previous days/weeks off can count as a full weekly rest for the first week back or will have to increase one reduced weekly rest period to a full one during your time away tramping

I think it was Delboy2 who said that if you started the first shift at 0001 on a monday then that would have solved your problem

Simon:

msgyorkie:
This is why EU driving hours rules are [zb]…too many IF and BUTS make it impossible for the average driver to truley understand it all. It needs simplifying and made clear what exactly can be done with no funny formulas thrown into the mix! :frowning:

Very few ifs or buts and no funny formulas, unless you are working to the MMTM version of the EU Drivers Hours Rules. Get a copy of GV262 from VOSA, plenty of examples to explain it all to you in there. Then a driver can quite easily understand the rules.

As it stands at the moment I dont work nor do I want to work max hours with reduced breaks. I think its unhealthy for the human mind and body to work these crazy hours. I work a simple Monday to Friday with EVERY Saturday and Sunday off so I dont need to know about these wacky reduced rest and compensations etc etc. :grimacing:
I still think that the driving rules could be made to be far easier.

kitbuilder123:
Why can’t they just make it 24 hours off within 6 days of start of shift, no matter what day or time it is and then 45 within the next 5 days to reset the lot?

Because if the rules said 24 hours off, then there are plenty of companies who would demand that those were the hours you worked to, it would be in your contract. There are plenty of companies who have you working to the max hours possible with minimum free time as it is.
At least the hours rules as they are give us some flexibility.

Utter stupidity working on a fixed time or day for this job for the purposes of defining a week when every week is different

It is because every week can be different that there is a fixed week.
The fixed week, from midnight Sunday to midnight Sunday makes it perfectly clear what a week is precisely and where you are in relation to that week.

Recently I remember someone complaining that, when they parked up at a truckstop for a weekend rest with 30 minutes driving time left, their controller phoned them and insisted that they continue driving for the further 30 mins available, to park up in a lay-by for their weekend rest. That what we can be up against now. It would be could be even worse if the rules were 24 off.