Weekly rest

Hi please answer me this I have been trying to find the answer and find contradicting answers.

Had 45hrs off
Worked tue - sat
Had 24hrs off
Worked sun - wed
Had 33hrs off
Worked thur and fri

Can I reduce to say 36 off and return to work on the sun night again.

After having these two reduced rests you do need a 45 don’t you or is my boss correct in wanting me back in after three reduced rests.

Many thanks

there isn’t a 36hr. rest anymore, but what the rules state is that in any 14 day period you must have had one rest period of at least 45hrs, so make yourself a calendar of a 14 day period and put the 45 in and see how it spreads out

If you rejuice say the first weekend to 24hrs off, you then need a 45hrs off the next, then repay back the third weekend with 45hrs plus what you owe from week one. the first reply is right their is no 36hr rest pattern any more. just remember a 45 every 14day’s is a must.

wagonlad:
Hi please answer me this I have been trying to find the answer and find contradicting answers.

Had 45hrs off
Worked tue - sat
Had 24hrs off
Worked sun - wed
Had 33hrs off
Worked thur and fri

After having these two reduced rests you do need a 45 don’t you or is my boss correct in wanting me back in after three reduced rests.

Many thanks

You dont need to compensate that any more and you can reduce again.

You had a 45h rest period.
Worked Tuesday to Saturday
24 hour rest period
Worked Sunday to Wednesday
33 hour rest period. That is enough to compensate the 24 hours you took previously
Worked Thursday to Saturday
24h rest period
Work Sunday

Your 24 and 33 are added together which is more than enough for compensation

surely the 33 needs to be compensated for? 45-24-33 i.e adding the missing 12 hours to a 45 hour??

Thanks for the replies, but like I say everyone I ask says different to the last. But like the other two posters said I thought I needed a uninterrupted 45 off within the 14 day period and I didn’t get one.
Out of the first 45 rest only 33hrs was within that fixed week, plus when I go away I would need another reduced rest next.

In any two consecutive weeks a driver shall take at least:
– two regular weekly rest periods, or
– one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly
rest period of at least 24 hours. However, the reduction
shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest
taken en bloc before the end of the third week following
the week in question.

You have compensated a shortened break by using the second rest period in your week

A Regular weekly rest period is 45 hours, however you reduced that by 21 hours but then compensated it with 33 hours.

At risk of getting slagged off by any late night posters. I shall show you a guide from VOSA with a pictogram.

Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.

Again thanks for the reply, so having the two reduced rests effectively count as a standard rest in that week. But what if as is the case I need to reduce again this week while away, that would make it over two weeks since getting a full 45 off or do them short rests count as a full rest in this instance.

wagonlad:

Had 45hrs off
Worked tue - sat
Had 24hrs off
Worked sun - wed
Had 33hrs off
Worked thur and fri

To answer this correctly we need to know which week the 45 hour regular weekly rest counted for but I’ll play safe and assume it counted for the previous week.

You had a regular weekly rest in week one and a reduced weekly rest of 24 hours in week 2 so you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period this week.

No you cannot do that legally unless the 45 hour weekly rest can count for the week where you worked Tuesday to Saturday.

As I said this question cannot be answered reliably without more information of your previous weekly rest periods going back to a point where you had about 4 days off so playing it safe I would say that you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period this week.

The number of reduced weekly rest periods isn’t really relevant to whether or not you need a full weekly rest period this week, the only criteria you need to worry about is having a regular weekly rest period at-least every second week, how many reduced weekly rest periods you have between the regular weekly rest periods is only relevant to how much compensation you need to pay back.

So in effect if you haven’t driven a LGV for more than 1week , you could do your 6 cards (in old money) say Sun to sat take a reduced rest 24hrs then repeat but the following week a 45hr rest is needed ? but as said if you have been driving HGV’s then this would differ

But in the chart it states a 2nd reduced rest of 27hrs which makes no sense to me the minimum reduced weekly rest is 24hrs as far as im concerned whilst away from base or home which a driver should be able to do legally 2 weeks consecutively providing he /she has taken minimum of 45hrs prior to the 14 days out on the road and have to take a full weekly rest at the end of the week following it, what was wrong with the older scheme i do not know , reducing the 45 to a 36 if taken at home

Wheel Nut:
At risk of getting slagged off by any late night posters. I shall show you a guide from VOSA with a pictogram which is not relevent and i don’t know the answer to your question.

No slagging off going on here, its great advice !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Mike-C:

Wheel Nut:
At risk of getting slagged off by any late night posters. I shall show you a guide from VOSA with a pictogram which is not relevent and i don’t know the answer to your question.

With the information given, it was good advice, however if you feel you have to use moderator status to alter a post, or take the ■■■■ when you don’t even have a sensible answer. If you want to impersonate me Mike, do me the honour of using a spell checker.

You answer the question and stop trying to point score!

Wheel Nut:

Mike-C:

Wheel Nut:

With the information given, it was good advice, however if you feel you have to use moderator status to alter a post, or take the ■■■■ when you don’t even have a sensible answer. If you want to impersonate me Mike, do me the honour of using a spell checker.

You answer the question and stop trying to point score!

You can take this as a yellow card. That type of insult aint allowed on here. My reply was toungue in cheek as indicated with smileys. But lets be honest, its wasn’t good advice. It was way off what he asked (seeing as you want to micro anaylise it). You advised him about rest compensation when he wants to know when he has to take a regular weekly rest. You already half knew this by your reply. You’ve just flipped. I havn’t used moderator status to impersonate you, yes i did take the ■■■■ and i do have an answer which is the same a tachograph gave him, he alomst certainley needs a regular rest period next !! And you want to flame me for a spellchucker event !! I’m not sure its at all relevent !! :laughing:
Grow up.

Thank you all for your replies, help very much appreciated and you have answered my question. And sorry if I’ve started something between a couple of you.