Thanks

Badmarky:
Hello everyone,
Can someone tell me if this is legal, I’m working for a builders merchant,

Week one Monday to Friday 7.30-5.00 Saturday 7.30-12.30
Week two Monday to Friday 7.30-5.00 Saturday 7.30-12.30
Week three Monday to Friday 7.30-5.00 weekend off start again Monday 7.30
Thanks

Depends on what you did before week 1 started, if in the week previous to week 1 you had a weekly rest period that could count for week 1 then it’s legal, but assuming that you worked the same hours Monday 07:30 - 17:00 in the week previous to week 1 then it’s not legal as you’ve had reduced weekly rest periods in both weeks 1 and 2 without a regular weekly rest period in either week.

Thank you :smiley:

As tachograph said that doesn’t look very legal. Certainly if it’s a recurring pattern then it’s not legal as you are only getting a full weekly rest one week in three.

If that is the case you have a couple of options. If the hours are fixed then you can only work every other Saturday. Alternatively if you’re starting at 0730 on a Monday and you want to work on the Saturday then as long as you finish by 1030 at the latest then you will still get your 45h full weekly rest in. This would allow you to work every Saturday as long as every other one you were done by 1030.

Paul

Hi,
The week before week one I worked monday to friday 7.30-5.00 then the weekend off,
I always thought that you could not reduce weekly rest twice on the trot.

Badmarky:
Hi,
The week before week one I worked monday to friday 7.30-5.00 then the weekend off,
I always thought that you could not reduce weekly rest twice on the trot.

You can’t have only reduced weekly rests in two consecutive weeks but you can have more than one weekly rest period in a week, that’s why I queried whether you’d had another weekly rest period that could count for week 1.

For instance if you’d been off work the week previous to week one it would have counted as a full weekly rest period for week 1, in effect you would have had two weekly rests in week 1, one full and one reduced.

As it is weeks 1 and 2 are reduced weekly rest periods only, so it’s not legal as you must have a full weekly rest period at-least every second week.

Hi guys
This has all come about because my transport manager wants to swap weekends around so that on bank holiday weekends the same drivers don’t get the long weekend all the time, but he thinks it is legal to have me come in on the Saturday twice on the trot and then tries to baffle me with science and showing me a page in the RTD book where it shows two Saturdays being worked one after the other.

Thank you for all the replies so far much appreciated

Badmarky:
Hi guys
This has all come about because my transport manager wants to swap weekends around so that on bank holiday weekends the same drivers don’t get the long weekend all the time, but he thinks it is legal to have me come in on the Saturday twice on the trot and then tries to baffle me with science and showing me a page in the RTD book where it shows two Saturdays being worked one after the other.

Thank you for all the replies so far much appreciated

I think I have spotted something which might make this legal as a one off and was prompted by what tachograph and the OP said …

The OP made reference that this is a one off weekend swap and they had bank holidays off - also this is an ongoing shift pattern
Tachograph made reference to having the weekly rest done the weekend before counting as weekly rest for the week ahead

I am wondering if the weekly rests from the Easter break onwards could be counted as being at the start of each week until the weekend swapping takes place

That would require the OP to list all their weekly rests starting with the Easter weekend break to see if this was a possibility

I did this last year for a driver and it turned out they could do this as a one off :smiley: