Weekly Rest

Hi folks

I work Monday to Friday but I work the occasional Sunday too, I have worked the Sunday just gone so it was a reduced weekly rest and yesterday I was off on a holiday and my gaffer said "oh you will be able to work this Sunday then now " :question:

the previous few weeks weekly rest are

57:00 hrs
58:15 hrs
37:15 hrs
64:15 hrs
37:30 hrs ( this was last weekend )

I was off yesterday so had another 37 hr break, but I thought this made no difference to my weekly rests :confused:

My gaffer obviously thinks different so whos right ■■

Cheers

DARB

just had a quick look in the vosa book and i think your gaffa is right because you can have 2 reduced breaks in one fixed week, and having the 37 hours off you have repaid the reduction of 7.5 hrs from last weekend as well, as that can be repaid by adding it to the end of a 9 hr break “either a weekly or a daily rest period” thats how its worded in the vosa bible. i hope i have read it correctly, if i haven’t some one will put me right lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I thought you were right Darb. But I haven’t read (that part of) the ‘bible’ (recently), so perhaps I’m wrong too.

You had a reduced rest last week that means you will require a full weekly rest for this week. The fact you were off yesterday and had another reduced rest makes no difference, you will have to begin a full weekly rest of at least 45 hours by latest 23:59 Sunday.

Your boss is correct that you could work this Sunday but at the end of that shift you will need to start a full weekly rest meaning he will have to give you Monday and at least most of Tuesday off.

All that extra weekly rest yesterday would normally do is allow you to begin another 6x24-hours periods before your next weekly rest. In your case it doesn’t do that because you need a full weekly rest this week. if you had taken a full rest last week, that extra rest would have allowed you to go until next Wednesday morning, 144 hours from when you start today, before your next weekly rest. Incidentally the 37 hour weekly rest you have just taken, yesterday, doesn’t require compensation.

peteandbrenda:
just had a quick look in the vosa book and i think your gaffa is right because you can have 2 reduced breaks in one fixed week,

The two consecutive reduced weekly rests he has just had are in different fixed weeks, which isn’t a problem but it still leaves him requiring a full weekly rest for this week. He can work Sunday providing his boss is happy to give him the couple of days after that off.

Cheers Coffeeholic :smiley:

Thats what I thought but its nice to have it confirmed :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
he will have to give you Monday and at least most of Tuesday off.

HA HA HA that would be nice :laughing: