Weekly rest

OK I’ll try and explain.

At the end of Week 1 I work a Saturday with the Sunday off. So a reduced weekly rest.

Week 2, I work Monday and Tuesday but take Wednesday and Thursday off as holidays. Then the Weekend at the end of Week , I take the Saturday off but work the Sunday.

I will then work from Sunday through until the following Friday of Week 3. Can I have a reduced weekly rest at the end of week 3? I think not. But could someone explain it a little for me?

I have been on here before but not for a while. I’m not sure why it says this is my first post. I think this was my handle. It allows me to sign in in any case. :slight_smile:

Times are needed please of when your shifts before rest ended and what time you started new shift please

Thanks for the reply.

Start at 7 am and finish at 5 pm.

Fragonard:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes you can have reduced again as the rest you had mid week is 62 hours so makes up for the 38 h your had weekend before

blue estate:

Fragonard:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes you can have reduced again as the rest you had mid week is 62 hours so makes up for the 38 h your had weekend before

OK thanks. I was hoping for a little more explanation but thank you. I need to think about it.

Fragonard:
OK I’ll try and explain.

At the end of Week 1 I work a Saturday with the Sunday off. So a reduced weekly rest.

Week 2, I work Monday and Tuesday but take Wednesday and Thursday off as holidays. Then the Weekend at the end of Week , I take the Saturday off but work the Sunday.

I will then work from Sunday through until the following Friday of Week 3. Can I have a reduced weekly rest at the end of week 3? I think not. But could someone explain it a little for me?

This is assuming you had a regular weekly rest period the week before week 1 ?

As has been said you can legally have a reduced weekly rest at the end of week 3, however you will need to start a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at or before 23:59 Sunday at the end of week 4.

Week 1. Reduced weekly rest period (Sunday)
Week 2. Regular weekly rest period (Wednesday and Thursday)
Week 3. Reduced weekly rest period (Saturday)
You won’t be able to work Saturday at the end of week three because it will take over 144 hours from the end of the last weekly rest period (six periods of 24 hours), you will be able to work Sunday though.

tachograph:
As has been said you can legally have a reduced weekly rest at the end of week 3, however you will need to start a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at or before 23:59 Sunday at the end of week 4.

Week 1. Reduced weekly rest period (Sunday)
Week 2. Regular weekly rest period (Wednesday and Thursday)
Week 3. Reduced weekly rest period (Saturday)
You won’t be able to work Saturday at the end of week three because it will take over 144 hours from the end of the last weekly rest period (six periods of 24 hours), you will be able to work Sunday though.

OK

Week 1 Reduced weekly rest period (Sunday)
Week 2 Regular weekly rest period (Wednesday and Thursday)

So the Wednesday and Thursday days off are regular rest periods. They also compensate for the reduced rest period at the end of Week 1. I’m getting confused about the Rest period at the end of Week 2. I will only have worked for 1 day ie Friday since the Regular rest period (Wednesday and Thursday). But we still call it a ‘Reduced weekly rest period’? I guess it’s because it’s over the minimum of 24 hours? Then off we go again on the Sunday for a new week. When I can work through until and including Friday. I must take the Saturday off. This Saturday is the end of my Week 3. But I don’t see how this can be a reduced weekly rest as the previous weekly rest was also reduced. I am a little confused. Or have I confused you with my Week numbers? Thanks for your time.

I may even be over complicating things.

• When the regulations speak of a week it’s a fixed week 00:00 Sunday to 24:00 Monday.
  • The regulations require you to have a weekly rest period each fixed week.
  • In any two fixed weeks you must have either two regular weekly rest periods or at-least one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period (you can have more).
  • You must start a weekly rest period no later than six 24 hour periods (144 hours) from the end of the the last weekly rest period.

Fragonard:
So the Wednesday and Thursday days off are regular rest periods.
Yes, any rest period of 45 hours or more counts as a regular weekly rest period.

They also compensate for the reduced rest period at the end of Week 1.
Yes, 17:00 Tuesday to 07:00 Friday is a rest period of 62 hours, more than enough to compensate for the reduced weekly rest period in week 1.

I’m getting confused about the Rest period at the end of Week 2. I will only have worked for 1 day ie Friday since the Regular rest period (Wednesday and Thursday). But we still call it a ‘Reduced weekly rest period’?
Technically any rest period of 24 hours or more is a reduced weekly rest period as long as it’s less than 45 hours, but as you’ve already had a regular weekly rest period in week 2 you will not need to compensate for this reduced weekly rest period, it’s used only to reset the six periods of 24 hours you can work between weekly rest periods.

I guess it’s because it’s over the minimum of 24 hours?
Correct.

Then off we go again on the Sunday for a new week. When I can work through until and including Friday. I must take the Saturday off. This Saturday is the end of my Week 3.
The Saturday is the end of your working week but the fixed week ends at 24:00 Sunday, a weekly rest period must be taken in each fixed week.

But I don’t see how this can be a reduced weekly rest as the previous weekly rest was also reduced.
You have Wednesday and Thursday off in week 2 so that satisfies the requirement to have a weekly rest period in each fixed week, the reduced weekly rest period at the end of week 2 is used only to reset the six periods of 24 hours you can work between weekly rest periods, it does not require compensating for.

Or have I confused you with my Week numbers?
Nope it’s pretty clear but I suspect that you’re confusing the fixed week with your working week :wink:

Thanks for your time.
You’re more than welcome :slight_smile:

I think I’m getting there Tachograph. Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

One other question Tachograph if I may?

So the 45 hour weekly rest period starting before 23:59 on the Sunday is to ‘cater’ for requirement for the fixed week which is about to end. So, I would have to take the Monday and the Tuesday off. I would then be able to work for another six days from Wednesday? I usually am off the weekends but just for argument’s sake. Or do I have to take another weekly break before this week is over ie 23.50 on Sunday?

Max time between the end of a weekly rest and the start of the next is 144 hours

The regs are done in hours not days

Fragonard:
One other question Tachograph if I may?

So the 45 hour weekly rest period starting before 23:59 on the Sunday is to ‘cater’ for requirement for the fixed week which is about to end. So, I would have to take the Monday and the Tuesday off. I would then be able to work for another six days from Wednesday? I usually am off the weekends but just for argument’s sake. Or do I have to start another weekly break before this week is over ie 23.59 on Sunday?

The part I’ve coloured blue is the correct answer :wink:

in the diagram if you worked from the 26/01/20 to the 31/01/20 you couldn’t work Saturday as you’ve already done six days work so working Saturday would put you over the maximum of six periods of 24 hours between weekly rest periods, in this case you would normally have Saturday and Sunday off which would be a regular 45 hour weekly rest period for week 4.

In the example shown you must legally have a regular weekly rest period for week 4, so if you had one of the other days off and worked Saturday you would still need to start a regular weekly rest period before 23:59 Sunday to count for week 4 (week 3 was a reduced weekly rest period).

If you started a weekly rest period at 23:59 Sunday and had the Monday and Tuesday off in week 5 to count as week 4s regular weekly rest period, then started work in week 5 on Wednesday you would need to start a weekly rest period (reduced or regular) no later than 23:59 Sunday of week 5 to count as the weekly rest period for week 5, therefore you would not be able to start work on Wednesday and work six days.

Although it’s not particularly relevant in this case bear in mind that compensation for reduced weekly rest periods has to be paid back (en bloc) by the end of the third week following the week the reduced weekly rest period counted for.

Thank you once again. And ROG too for the 144 hour rule rather than 6 days.

As a new driver I found this useful. It’s a simplified guide on EU rules drivers hours and working time:

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -rules.pdf

You could also look on youtube - search ‘Driving and Working Time HGV’ posted by Connor Young. I think it’s an ASDA video backed by the FHA. It’s an easy video to follow.

Cheers