weekly rest

Quick one

I attended a work based training course full day last Saturday (mpqc old epic course)

Boss wants me to have a reduced weekly rest this week by working Saturday

Is this allowed or does last saturdays course count as working time as work related

I’m genuinely unsure

Last Saturday would be classed as other work,so in effect assuming you do mon- from as the norm then if you worked this Saturday too you will have done two 6 day weeks on the bounce which won’t leave you enough weekly rest especially if you reduced last week too.

Depends on how much weekly rest you had the week before and how much you are going to have the week after, but it isn’t necessarily illegal to have two consecutive reduced weekly rests.

Worked the Saturday before

Write a short statement saying

you worked the Saturday before last (reduced weekly rest), you where at a company training course last weekend (reduced weekly rest) and you’re working this Saturday (reduced weekly rest)

Get your boss to date & sign it.

Then post your findings on here :grimacing:

Anyone got a link to anything official relating to this?

You can’t have 3 reduced weekly rests in a row, you can have two in a row, as long as either side of those weeks, the full weekly rests have been taken (2 consecutive weeks they call it)

Normal rest - reduced - reduced- normal . Remember though ,you need to also compensate the reduced rests before the end of the 3rd week following that particular rest period.

Edit:
The following tables are examples of how a driver’s duties might be organised in compliance with the rules on weekly rest, which allow two reduced weekly rest periods to be taken consecutively. This complies with the rules because at least one regular and one reduced weekly rest period have been taken in two consecutive ‘fixed’ weeks.

From: gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours - under 1.5 - weekly rests.

Technically the work based training course should be recorded as other work, so unless you also managed to have a 45 hour weekly rest period you cannot legally have another reduced weekly rest period this week.

andy_s:
You can’t have 3 reduced weekly rests in a row, you can have two in a row, as long as either side of those weeks, the full weekly rests have been taken (2 consecutive weeks they call it)

Normal rest - reduced - reduced- normal . Remember though ,you need to also compensate the reduced rests before the end of the 3rd week following that particular rest period.

While that’s not entirely incorrect it is misleading, there are circumstances where you can have reduced weekly rest periods in 2 consecutive weeks but to suggest it’s always the case is wrong.

You have to be able to count a regular 45 hour weekly rest period for at-least every second week.

edinburgh_newbie:
Anyone got a link to anything official relating to this?

Scroll down to weekly rest :wink:

tachograph:

andy_s:

While that’s not entirely incorrect it is misleading, there are circumstances where you can have reduced weekly rest periods in 2 consecutive weeks but to suggest it’s always the case is wrong.

You have to be able to count a regular 45 hour weekly rest period for at-least every second week.

That’s what I said in my post.

andy_s:

tachograph:

andy_s:

That’s what I said in my post.

No it’s not, you seem to be under the impression that a driver who has weekly rest periods at the weekends can regularly have reduced weekly rest periods in 2 consecutive weeks as long as you have a regular weekly rest period before and after the 2 reduced weekly rest periods, that’s simply not correct.

In the diagram you’ve posted, after week 3 you would be restricted to a reduced weekly rest period no more than every second week, if you had reduced weekly rest periods in weeks 4 and 5 you would not be complying with the regulations.

In that diagram the first regular weekly rest period counts for week 1 either of the reduced weekly rest periods can count for week 2 and the last regular weekly rest period counts for week 3, that means that weeks 4 and 5 cannot both have only reduced weekly rest periods.

In the context of what the OP was asking, I thought the info I posted was relevant but you’re right, the whole thing is a mare with so many variables lol.

Well been told I’m fune. I questioned the rest as the course is classed as other work to be told it doesn’t count the tacho wasn’t in and iv already been booked out.

edinburgh_newbie:
Well been told I’m fune. I questioned the rest as the course is classed as other work to be told it doesn’t count the tacho wasn’t in and iv already been booked out.

Does the training appear on you pay slip ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are talking crap other work is exactly that,other work…if your getting paid then regardless of whether you tacho is in or not it’s part of your working week.

If you get pulled by DVSA on Saturday or in the next 28 days expect a fine or worse possibly a short term driving ban,they do not overlook weekly rest infringements quite as easily as minutes over driving time ect,basically your knowingly breaking the law to earn more money (that’s how they will see it,because YOU should know the regs regardless of what your employer tells you).

edinburgh_newbie:

Oh I love that one. :laughing: Find anpther company to work for quick.

xichrisxi:
If you get pulled by DVSA on Saturday or in the next 28 days expect a fine or worse possibly a short term driving ban,

Obviously I know my regs enough to understand he is not legal BUT how would they know unless he did get pulled over and he told them about the CPC day? All they do is download his card and the card will be fine unless he is so retarded he did a manual entry of the ‘other work’.

I would do as already mentioned though and start looking for another job as no doubt other issues in the future will crop up when for example your boss tells you to pull your card to return to base as your only 1hr away.

edinburgh_newbie:

Your boss is right. It’s the same when you run out of time on your way back. Just drive on, and make a manual entry on a printout, that you needed to find a save place to park.

(Oh, BTW. Nobody seems to have mentioned the fact that you need to add the time that you reduced your rest by, to the full weekly rest as compensation )

one of the above statements is true*

the nodding donkey:

edinburgh_newbie:

Your boss is right. It’s the same when you run out of time on your way back. Just drive on, and make a manual entry on a printout, that you needed to find a save place to park.

(Oh, BTW. Nobody seems to have mentioned the fact that you need to add the time that you reduced your rest by, to the full weekly rest as compensation )

one of the above statements is true*

None of the above are actually true …

Of course if the course was a Driver CPC approved course the DVSA have instant access to that data at the road side :smiley: Would they check ■■? :wink: