weekly rest

Morning.
I am a new memeber to the board and would like some advice on some basic questions about weekly rest. - My hubbi has recently gone back to driving and we are a little rusty and blurred with the new regulations.

if my hubbi has worked sun+mon + wed+ thrs+fri - tues off - 5 days but had 36 hours off for tues can he work the whole of the weekend or just one day??.
I understand he has to have 45(together) hours every third week rest. is it 6 consecutive days a week or any 6 out of seven days allowed to work.
May sound a little confusing I am very sorry - but have read quite abit of info on this site and i thought this would be my solution to our peding questions■■? :unamused:

Thanks for any guidance
Lynne

Here is a link to the DoT’s Drivers’ Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe. Its a huge piece of work. The bit you are after is in section 17 in part B.

If your hubby is having a 36 hour W/E rest on a Tuesday every week, he needs to catch up his rest by having an extra 9 hours rest added on to any rest period (36 + 9 = 45). That is for EVERY 36 hour weekend rest period. Doing 3 W/Es of 36hrs and then having 1 W/E of 45hrs doesn’t do it.

The 9 hours can be added to an overnight rest, but the whole 9 hours has to be taken in 1 block

Thankyou for your guidance, there are so many rules and regs!!! -

I need to ask -

1. hubbi can work then two weeks with 36 hours rest - so say sat off?? then his third week he has to take 45 hrs off eg sat and sun■■?

2. he is still not sure re having a day off in week say for the 36 hours e.g mon tues work - off wed 36 hours - then works thurs+ fri can he work sat and sun or just one off them??

3.also 6 driving days similar to above question - are these consecutive - mon-sat or can you do as above rest in week and work weekend.

1. can he work mon-sat (wk1) 36 hours rest =sunday
    mon-th work, fri 36 hours rest then work sat + sund (wk2)
    start mon -fri - rest sat sun =45hours (wk3)

I know they are probably all the same question in a way - but we just need to get it clear in our heads,

thanks We appreaciate the help
Thanks
Lynne :confused:

Welcome to TruckNet UK lynne13 :smiley:

lynne13:
Thankyou for your guidance, there are so many rules and regs!!! -

I need to ask -

1. hubbi can work then two weeks with 36 hours rest - so say sat off?? then his third week he has to take 45 hrs off eg sat and sun■■?

In fact, he can work three weeks in a row each with only 36 hours’ rest. The reduced rest of the first week has to be compensated for by the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced rest was taken.
i.e.
Week 1 - Reduced rest on Tuesday
Week 2 - Reduced rest on Tuesday, first week following first reduced rest
Week 3 - Reduced rest on Tuesday, second week following first reduced rest
Week 4 - can reduce rest on Tuesday, but must have at least one 9-hour block of compensation rest by the end of this week, to compensate for week 1.
Week 5 - can reduce rest on Tuesday, but must have at least one 9-hour block of compensation rest by the end of this week (if not taken previously), to compensate for week 2).
etc…

The “6 consecutive days” rule crosses weekends, but for calculating the “compensation by the end of the third week following” rule, “weeks” run from 00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday.
e.g. in week 4 above, the rest period compensating for week 1’s reduced rest has to start before 24:00 on the Sunday of week 4.

Alternatively, he could take all 4 compensation rests in one lump in week 4, giving 81 hours (45+4x9). This would mean having Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off (and possibly Saturday, depending on his start and finish times, to make sure that he’s got 81 consecutive hours rest), giving you lots of lovely time together :laughing: . He would then start the cycle again with the first reduced rest in week 5.

lynne13:
2. he is still not sure re having a day off in week say for the 36 hours e.g mon tues work - off wed 36 hours - then works thurs+ fri can he work sat and sun or just one off them??

He can work both. However, he can’t have his rest on Tuesday on one week, then Wednesday the next, as he would then be working 7 days in a row. After six consecutive working days, you must take a weekly rest (either full or reduced).

lynne13:
3.also 6 driving days similar to above question - are these consecutive - mon-sat or can you do as above rest in week and work weekend.

It only matters if they are consecutive. Whether they straddle a weekend doesn’t make a difference.

lynne13:
4. can he work mon-sat (wk1) 36 hours rest =sunday
mon-th work, fri 36 hours rest then work sat + sund (wk2)
start mon -fri - rest sat sun =45hours (wk3)

No. Week 2-3 is a problem. He is working Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri. That is 7 days in a row. He has to start his weekly rest on Friday. If he did do that, he would still have two lots of 9 hours’ compensation rest to pay back - one before the end of week 4, and one before the end of week 5. He could, however decide that his 45-hour weekly rest at the end of Week 3 is actually a 36-hour reduced rest plus 9 hours of compensation, thereby delaying the date at which he has to pay back week 1’s rest until week 6.

Confused yet? :laughing:

lynne13:
I know they are probably all the same question in a way - but we just need to get it clear in our heads,

thanks We appreaciate the help
Thanks
Lynne :confused:

There is one other rule to remember - maximum of 90 hours’ driving in any one fortnight. This is a rolling fortnight, so in any week, the number of driving hours for that week plus the previous week must not be more than 90. For these purposes, “weeks” run from 00:00 on Monday to 24:00 on Sunday.

I recommend you buy him a Drivers’ Hour Guard as a present :wink: - available from Davey Driver on Trucknet UK. Used correctly, it should take care of all of this.

PS: Davey - I’ll be expecting my commission cheque from this sale :wink: