weekly rest

my weekly hours are 6am til 5pm monday to friday driving class 1. my current employer wants me to work 6 til 11am every saturday morning doing only yard duties. i told him this is illegal as i will only be getting 43 hours rest. (he said it doesnt matter cos im not on tacho lol).i know i can work every other saturday legally but i was wondering if i could do 2 on then 1 off as i would be compensating for the 4 hours i owed on the 3rd week.

petewba:
my weekly hours are 6am til 5pm monday to friday driving class 1. my current employer wants me to work 6 til 11am every saturday morning doing only yard duties. i told him this is illegal as i will only be getting 43 hours rest. (he said it doesnt matter cos im not on tacho lol).i know i can work every other saturday legally but i was wondering if i could do 2 on then 1 off as i would be compensating for the 4 hours i owed on the 3rd week.

You must by law record all other work done so that includes the yard work - its written in the regs

No you cannot do 2 on 1 off

You would payback the 2 hours with the first daily rest taken

yes you can do 2 on 1 off

the flying foden:

And how could he do that given that in a two consecutive weeks he would only have reduced weekly rest periods of 43 hours and the regulations require a minimum of one reduced and one regular in any two consecutive weeks?

You can certainly do two, or more, reduced weekly rests in a row but not if they are the only weekly rests for a two week period.

Coffeeholic:

the flying foden:

And how could he do that given that in a two consecutive weeks he would only have reduced weekly rest periods of 43 hours and the regulations require a minimum of one reduced and one regular in any two consecutive weeks?

You can certainly do two, or more, reduced weekly rests in a row but not if they are the only weekly rests for a two week period.

on my last 3 weeks of work i had 2 36 hr weekend rests and the 3rd weekend i made up the owed hours . i wasn’t referring to the original post just the fact that rog stated you can’t have 2 on 1 off and as you have stated you can that must be correct

the flying foden:

Coffeeholic:

the flying foden:

on my last 3 weeks of work i had 2 36 hr weekend rests and the 3rd weekend i made up the owed hours . i wasn’t referring to the original post just the fact that rog stated you can’t have 2 on 1 off and as you have stated you can that must be correct

You cannot legally have only reduced weekly rest periods in two consecutive weeks and then make up the difference in week three.

The OP works Monday to Friday and cannot work two consecutive Saturdays then have the third weekend off, it’s possible in some circumstances to do that once but not on a regular basis as the OP wants.

It is possible as a one off given the right circumstances but certainly not as an ongoing thing

what circumstance would these be ?

the flying foden:

Coffeeholic:

the flying foden:

I didn’t say you can have 2 on 1 off because you cannot. I said you cannot have only two reduced weekly rest periods in two consecutive weeks but you could have two, or more, in a row provided there was also a regular in a two week period.

If the weekly rests you describe are the only weekly rest periods you’ve had for your last three weeks then based on the info you have given it isn’t legal.

If you are saying you had the following-

Week 1 - 36 hour weekly rest

Week 2 - 36 hour weekly rest

Week 3 - Full weekly rest of at least 45 hoyrs plus whatever hours you compensated.

Then that doesn’t meet the requirements of the regulations.

the flying foden:

You could have a regular weekly rest at the beginning of week 1 which counts for that week along with a reduced at the end of it. You could have a reduced at the end of week 2 and a regular at the end of week 3.

That’s two reduced weekly rests in a row but there is an extra rest for week 1 so they are not the only weekly rest periods for the two consecutive weeks of weeks 1 and 2.

the flying foden:

example.PNG

thank you gentlemen very educational . :laughing:

thanks. I wasnt sure myself.

Coffeeholic:

the flying foden:

You could have a regular weekly rest at the beginning of week 1 which counts for that week along with a reduced at the end of it. You could have a reduced at the end of week 2 and a regular at the end of week 3.

That’s two reduced weekly rests in a row but there is an extra rest for week 1 so they are not the only weekly rest periods for the two consecutive weeks of weeks 1 and 2

is this shift pattern wrong or right then
week 1 finish Friday 15.20
start Monday 05.00
week 2 finish Saturday 17.20
start Monday 04.10
week 3 finish 16.20
start Sunday 05.56
week 4 finish Friday 11.06
start one week later Monday 05.00

REGULAR WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 1 = ASSUMING ANOTHER WEEKLY REST WAS NOT USED FOR THIS WEEK
start Monday 05.00
REDUCED WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 2
start Monday 04.10
week 3 finish 16.20
WHAT DAY IS THE 16.20 FINISH :question:
start Sunday 05.56
REGULAR WEEKLY RESTS FOR WEEKS 4 AND 6 - WEEK 5 DOES NOT NEED ONE = ASSUMING THIS IS HOLLIDAY :question:

Friday 16.20
yes holiday week off

REGULAR WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 1 = ASSUMING ANOTHER WEEKLY REST WAS NOT USED FOR THIS WEEK
start Monday 05.00
REDUCED WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 2
start Monday 04.10
week 3 finish FRIDAY 16.20
REDUCED WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 3 = OOPS ILLEGAL
start Sunday 05.56
REGULAR WEEKLY RESTS FOR WEEKS 4 AND 6 - WEEK 5 DOES NOT NEED ONE = ASSUMING THIS IS HOLLIDAY :question:

It could be legal as a one off but would need records that go back over the last few weeks or months

its a one off. as when i do more than 2 weeks away with out a holiday at the end
i take a 45 after the first reduction and there after until i have paid back the reduction or im home for a long weekend off

the flying foden:
its a one off. as when i do more than 2 weeks away with out a holiday at the end
i take a 45 after the first reduction and there after until i have paid back the reduction or im home for a long weekend off

What you did is illegal with the info you gave

It might not be illegal if more info is given about what weekly rests were taken in the weeks or months leading up to the info you gave - would need that to give an absolute definitive answer

Paying back the reduction does not make a reduced into a regular if that is what you were getting at

I gave an example of how two reduced in a row could be legally done in the coloured example a few posts above where it shows how the weekly rest in green is not used for any week