Weekly rest under new regs

One for the Coffeeholics among us… :wink:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/vehicledrivers/drivershoursandtachographs/drivershoursandtachographrules/newdrivershoursrules.htm
Within six 24 hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period, a driver will extend a daily rest period into either; a regular weekly rest period of at least 45 hours, or a reduced weekly rest period of less than 45 hours but at least 24 hours.

OK, does that mean I have to have completed my weekly rest period within 6 x 24 hours of starting work after my last weekly rest?

E.g. I do a 9-5 office job Monday-Friday. Therefore my weekly rest ends at 9am on Monday morning.

So, do I need to have completed my next weekly rest by 9am on Sunday morning? Or just start it? Would it be legal to do a driving job on Saturday as long as I take Sunday off (compensating for it later if I finish too late on Sunday to fit in a full 45-hour weekly rest)?

The wording of this does seem a bit strange.

When you have to take your weekly rest period will be no different under the new rules to what it is currently. The only bit changing is the fact you must take a full 45 hour weekly rest at least every two weeks, currently it is possible to never take a full 45 as long as all compensations are accounted for, and the fact you will now be able to reduce to 24 hours at base, previously this could only be away from base.

The way it is worded it says that within 6 x 24 hour periods a driver will extend a daily rest period into weekly rest period and if at the end of the shift during the sixth period you start a weekly rest you will be complying with this requirement. You will be starting your weekly rest within 6 x 24 hour periods and in the scenario you outline above you just need to have started a weekly rest by 09:00 Sunday, you don’t have to have completed it by then…

If you start work on Monday after a weekly rest then that is when your first 24 hour period starts, your sixth period will be the Saturday so you could drive on the Saturday, as long as it is at least 9 hours after you finished work on Friday, and begin your weekly rest when you finish the Saturday shift, that will be within the 6 x 24 hour periods. Equally you could of course start a weekly rest when you finish work Friday and start a new 6 periods by driving on the Sunday, or even the Saturday night as long as it is at least 24 hours after you finished work on Friday, this reduction would need compensating for just as it does under the current rules…

An additional question on weekly rests…

Can the reduced weekly rest still be compensated by tagging it to a daily rest? E.g. reduce weekly rest from 45 to 40 hrs and add the 5 hrs to a daily rest of 11 hours a couple of days later?

The new regulations don’t say so as far as I can see.

Mark :smiley:

Yes, the only change to the compensation under the new rrules is that it must be attached to another rest period of at least 9 hours now. Previously it could be attached to a rest of at least 8 hours but the 8 hour rest will disappear under the new rules with the change to split daily rests…