Weekly rest question.

Bit embarrassing being a CPC holder but I really want clarification about a weekly rest pattern.

W/C 29/7 I took a full 45 hour weekly rest on the Saturday and Sunday.

W/C 5/8 I took a reduced weekly rest which started at 16.30 on the Saturday and ended on Monday morning at 05.00, thus giving me a weekly rest period of 36.5 hours.

Is it therefore legal to work this weekend and have another reduced rest period so long as I have a full weekly rest + compensation on the weekend of 24/8■■

In the Vosa guide to drivers hours and tachographs it suggests on page 19 that this is legal as a regular and reduced has fallen into the same fixed week but I aren’t so sure.

Any drivers hours experts out there please?!

Matt.

xfmatt:
W/C 29/7 I took a full 45 hour weekly rest on the Saturday and Sunday.

W/C 5/8 I took a reduced weekly rest which started at 16.30 on the Saturday and ended on Monday morning at 05.00, thus giving me a weekly rest period of 36.5 hours.

Is it therefore legal to work this weekend and have another reduced rest period so long as I have a full weekly rest + compensation on the weekend of 24/8■■

The weekend rest of the 3rd + 4th August … was that the rest assigned to the week previous which commenced on 29/7 ?
Or was the weekly rest taken on the 27th and 28th used for that week ?
I ask as that is very important before answering any further

I once came across a driver who asked a similar question about this time of year and it transpired that he had 4 days off at easter and had a weekly rest every weekend which always included sunday midnight

The 90+ hours he had off at easter meant he had a full for the week before easter and a full for the week after easter

The weekend after easter he had a reduced then had a full the following weekend and thats how it went for months so the weekly rest was always at the start of the week

To change the weekly rest from the start of the week to the end of the week meant he could do two reduced weekly rests in a row as one of them was not assigned to any week = 3 weekly rests for two fixed weeks

Now I am confused! The 2 weekends previous to the 3/4th August were both full regular weekly rest periods if that helps. It’s a bit confusing between a fixed week and a working week!

Matt

xfmatt:
Now I am confused! The 2 weekends previous to the 3/4th August were both full regular weekly rest periods if that helps. It’s a bit confusing between a fixed week and a working week!

Matt

Which fixed weeks do those weekly rests belong to ?

When was your last rest period which was at least 90 hours?

What have you done since that 90+ hour rest period in regard to what weekly rests were taken?

I could give you the easy answer that you can only reduce every other week but that might not be accurate because I need to know your weekly rest history going back to when you last took 90+ hours off in one go - perhaps you had a week holliday in June and started back on a monday and since then have had a weekly rest every weekend which includes sunday midnight (so the rest can be used in the week before or the week after it - but not both)

To be fair the last time I had 90 hours without driving was when I did my CPC course but that obviously counts as other work. Apart from that I haven’t had a 90 hour break since 26/4 - 29/4.

I think it’s probably easier to just work every other weekend rather than 2 on 1 off. It’s just this time of year is my busiest with the harvest so want to maximise my earning potential.

Matt.

xfmatt:
To be fair the last time I had 90 hours without driving was when I did my CPC course but that obviously counts as other work. Apart from that I haven’t had a 90 hour break since 26/4 - 29/4.

I think it’s probably easier to just work every other weekend rather than 2 on 1 off. It’s just this time of year is my busiest with the harvest so want to maximise my earning potential.

Matt.

It is easier to do every other weekend and in most cases will keep you legal providing the payback is covered such as 34 off followed by 56 off

If you had 26/4 to 29/4 off and since then have had a full weekly rest at least every other weekend which includes sunday midnight then you can take two reduced weekly rests off in a row as a one-off

26/4 and 27/4 will be a full for the week 22/4 to 28/4
28/4 and 29/4 will be a full for the week 29/4 to 5/5
That changes the weekly rest from the end of a fixed week to the start of the fixed week

Just crack on shag, it’s far too complicated to work that lot out. :slight_smile:

Silver_Surfer:
Just crack on shag, it’s far too complicated to work that lot out. :slight_smile:

Lol I wish I could but I want to try keep everything right. I reckon going on Rog’s advice I’d be ok to work as I’ve had nearly all 45’s off since then apart from when I ran out one Sunday night.

Matt

xfmatt:

Silver_Surfer:

Lol I wish I could but I want to try keep everything right. I reckon going on Rog’s advice I’d be ok to work as I’ve had nearly all 45’s off since then apart from when I ran out one Sunday night.

Matt

If you did one shift covering sunday midnight then you cannot use the example I gave because every rest at the end of the week since easter would be needed for the forthcoming week - for it to be used for that the weekly rest MUST include sunday midnight

A weekly rest can only be used for any week in which at least 1 minute of that rest is in that fixed week

The moment you worked on sunday midnight the rests that were at the start of a fixed week changed to being at the end of the fixed week - unless you had an extra weekly rest at some point which could be a 3 day weekend = a full and reduced together

If you know all the weekly rests (any periods of 24+ hours off) since easter that you have taken then I could work it out more accurately

Perhaps you would like to PM me with them all

Silver_Surfer:

Your right, I thought I had half a brain till I tried to understand the tacho rules :confused:

I think you’re ok but email or call VOSA and make them earn their money. If you want more opinions to back it up you might be better on the main forum as the people most au fait with what is and isn’t ok will probably be drivers doing similar work patterns rather than CPC holders.

It’s been cleared up by Rog thanks. Ill be having a full 45 this week and working next weekend. The reason I didn’t ask in the drivers forum is too many people go on what their mates said is ok.