weekly rest question

here is a scenario for you all to help me expand on last weeks lesson.

I worked mon-friday last week then had a driving asessment on saturday. say i put my card in ha 11.30 am and took it out at midday. so that only gave me 42 hours rest before I started work on monday morning.

I have already managed to “pay back” the three hours short fall from a full 45 hour weekley rest.

can I work on saturday (driving) :confused:

cheers

i can’t can I?

joedwyer1:
here is a scenario for you all to help me expand on last weeks lesson.

I worked mon-friday last week then had a driving asessment on saturday. say i put my card in ha 11.30 am and took it out at midday. so that only gave me 42 hours rest before I started work on monday morning.

I have already managed to “pay back” the three hours short fall from a full 45 hour weekley rest.

can I work on saturday (driving) :confused:

cheers

That all depends on what time you finish saturday and start monday as you must have at least 45 off

Ok, there may be a way of doing it if we go back over many previous weeks so we can see how the weekly rests can be played about with - so that they can go at the start of the week and not at the end - but that can take some working out as it usually starts from when you had a period of over 90 hours off through the period of sunday midnight !!
Depends how desperate you are to work this saturday and use this intended weekly rest to be no weekly rest but just time off to stop a period over 6 days (144 hours) being done

joedwyer1:
i can’t can I?

You can, as long as when you finish Saturday you have at least 45 hours before you start work again.

ROG:
Ok, there may be a way of doing it if we go back over many previous weeks so we can see how the weekly rests can be played about with - so that they can go at the start of the week and not at the end - but that can take some working out as it usually starts from when you had a period of over 90 hours off through the period of sunday midnight !!

You don’t half come out with some ■■■■■■■■ sometimes!!

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

PMSL :laughing:

You should stop beating about the bush and say what you mean mate :laughing:

now I thought that an unpaid assesment could be logged as out of scope and would not be classed as any work as your not paid for it and you havent made any deliverys ■■ much like driving a vehicle for your own use

nick2008:
now I thought that an unpaid assesment could be logged as out of scope and would not be classed as any work as your not paid for it and you havent made any deliverys ■■ much like driving a vehicle for your own use

If the vehicle is over 7.5 tonnes then it comes under EU regs

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

This is what I mean -

I know it has said in the past that where a weekly rest is deemed to be at the start of the week then it can get confusing as most drivers see the weekly rest being at the end of the week (Monday 0000 to Sunday 2400)

Assuming all the weekly rests include Sunday 2359 to Monday 0001 so they can be deemed to be in the week previous or the week after (but not both)

We know that there must be a weekly rest attached to every week

This can happen after a one-week holiday for example —

New week starts on Monday (A) after 0000 which means that week already has a full weekly rest in it by using the last holiday weekend (1) as a full weekly rest.

(2) The following weekend the driver has 36 hours OFF — new week starts on Monday (B)

(3) Next weekend the driver has 36 hours OFF — new week starts on Monday (C)

(4) Full weekly rest MUST be taken this weekend

On weekend (2) exchange OFF for a reduced weekly rest but weekend (3) now needs to count for nothing except to stop the driver going over the 144 hours rule.

The week commencing Monday (A) has a full weekly rest from the holiday week attached to it at the START of the week

The week commencing Monday (B) has a reduced weekly rest from the holiday week attached to it at the START of the week

The week commencing Monday (C) has a full weekly rest from the holiday week attached to it at the END of the week

That is 3 weeks of work using 4 weekends but only 3 of those weekends are used for weekly rests

9 of the 36 hours OFF for weekend (3) can be used as payback for the reduced weekly rest for weekend (2)

Still ■■■■■■■■ ■■

perhaps for simplicity il just have this weekend off. It was just that i got offered a shift on class 1 last week but had to turn it down because of the asessment and didn’t want to tell the agency no again.

thanks for the advice

ROG:
Still ■■■■■■■■ ■■

Yes, what YOU said was ■■■■■■■■.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:
Still ■■■■■■■■ ■■

Always willing to learn so what did I put that was not correct ?

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:
Still ■■■■■■■■ ■■

Always willing to learn so what did I put that was not correct ?

The bit where you said you needed to look back over several weeks to assess whether or not he could work Sat’.
It’s as straight forward an assessment as it could possibly be.
Did you have 45 hours of continuous rest last weekend, yes or no ?
If the answer is yes, you can work this weekend.
If the answer is no, you can’t work this weekend, unless you can do the work and still get 45 hours rest in before you start work again.

There is no need to confuse joedwyer1 with all the other possible permutations, because he’s has already said he works Mon - Fri.
Further discussion about all the possible permutations, has already been done to death. They could be done in a new thread, if anyone else wants to re-discuss them with you again.

Simon:
The bit where you said you needed to look back over several weeks to assess whether or not he could work Sat’.

Which is a true fact - see my post a few above where the REST over 24 hours in one weekend did not count as weekly rest at all

Simon:
Did you have 45 hours of continuous rest last weekend, yes or no ?
If the answer is yes, you can work this weekend.
If the answer is no, you can’t work this weekend, unless you can do the work and still get 45 hours rest in before you start work again.

What you said is the basic easy answer but that does not rule out the POSSIBLE alternative

Simple way of sayng yes to working this saturday which could be done for a mon to fri driver -
Driver has a full one week holiday which ended 2 weekends ago
Driver had reduced weekly rest last weekend
Driver can still legally have as little as 24 off this weekend
Driver must have 45 off next weekend

ROG:

Simon:

Which is a true fact - see my post a few above where the REST over 24 hours in one weekend did not count as weekly rest at all

And yet more ■■■■■■■■! :unamused: :unamused:

A typical example of you not knowing the regulations, reading information posted by other people but failing to understand it and then coming out with ■■■■■■■■ because of that. :laughing:

Of course it counts as a weekly rest. If it is at least 24 hours and isn’t a weekly rest, say in the case of a daily rest plus 15 hours compensation, then it would not be possible to begin a new period of 6 days/144 hours would it? The one in your example is a weekly rest, it is just a weekly rest which requires no compensation. :unamused: :unamused:

Is it a WEEKLY REST period or just a REST period or an extended DAILY REST period ■■?

A WEEKLY REST period is required for each week but is it actually a WEEKLY REST period if it is not being used as such ■■?

One could say that it’s an extended DAILY REST period of 24 hours which is used to stop the driver from working more than 144 hours

Does it say that any period of 24 hours or more MUST be deemed a WEEKLY REST period?? - if it does then I apologise as I missed it !!

ROG:
Is it a WEEKLY REST period or just a REST period or an extended DAILY REST period ■■?

Well there are two kinds of rest periods, weekly and daily so there is no such thing as just a rest period.

ROG:
A WEEKLY REST period is required for each week but is it actually a WEEKLY REST period if it is not being used as such ■■?

But it is being used as such otherwise a new 6 day/144 hour period wouldn’t start. That period only starts when a driver resumes work after a weekly rest period, not a daily or this new invention of yours a 'just a’ rest period.

From the regulations.

A weekly rest period shall start no later than at the end of six
24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest
period.

Previous WEEKLY rest period, not daily.

ROG:
One could say that it’s an extended DAILY REST period of 24 hours which is used to stop the driver from working more than 144 hours

One could but one would be talking out of one’s arse because if one did it wouldn’t prevent the driver from working more than 144 hours between rest periods, only a weekly rest period can do that.

ROG:
Does it say that any period of 24 hours or more MUST be deemed a WEEKLY REST period?? - if it does then I apologise as I missed it !!

Apology accepted. The regulations clearly state any rest period of 24 hours or more is a weekly rest period.

I think I know what’s coming next :wink:

So it would be deemed as a weekly rest period but not attached to any week (that’s a mouthfull) - got it - thanks

ROG:
So it would be deemed as a weekly rest period but not attached to any week (that’s a mouthfull) - got it - thanks

No you haven’t got it. It will be attached to the week it is in, that’s why it doesn’t need any compensation because the week it is attached to already has another weekly rest period, the minimum one required rest period per week.