weekly rest periods

Hi All, if you work the following hours everyday 7:30 - 3:30 or 4:30 lastest, sometimes they work til 5:00 but rare. So if they work these hours monday to friday and work 8 - 12 saturdays for 2wks are they ok to do this.
I persume that they can work 2 saturdays and the 2nd week they have to make up and weekly rest they have missed so that be 2hrs compensation to take on the 3rd week. e.g. dont start until 9:30 the third Monday.
I know that i worked 7 - 5 mon-fri and worked 2 saturdays and sometimes worked a third saturday 8- 12 and i started work at 10:00 on the following week to make up the reduced weekly rest periods i had reduced. It is a builders merchants so you are not always using your 9 hours up of driving during the week everyday. I never had any infringments to sign but i presume that is cos i was not driving the full 9 hours a day has part of the day was other work and my break.
Trouble is one of the lads worked 7:30 - 3;30 or 4:30 like i said above and he has worked last saturday and said he can only do driving for 1.5hours this saturday and he will worked in the yard. But i thought that you cant do this has he is still cover under the driving regs has it it class has other work becasue he has driven a vehicle which comes under the EU scope driving rules plus he can drive for for 2 saturdays. BUt would he need to start later then is normal time on the following monday?.

I know you would have seen loads of post asking the same questions but any help to clear this up would be much appreicated.

tfclark:
Hi All, if you work the following hours everyday 7:30 - 3:30 or 4:30 lastest, sometimes they work til 5:00 but rare. So if they work these hours monday to friday and work 8 - 12 saturdays for 2wks are they ok to do this.
I persume that they can work 2 saturdays and the 2nd week they have to make up and weekly rest they have missed so that be 2hrs compensation to take on the 3rd week. e.g. dont start until 9:30 the third Monday.
I know that i worked 7 - 5 mon-fri and worked 2 saturdays and sometimes worked a third saturday 8- 12 and i started work at 10:00 on the following week to make up the reduced weekly rest periods i had reduced. It is a builders merchants so you are not always using your 9 hours up of driving during the week everyday. I never had any infringments to sign but i presume that is cos i was not driving the full 9 hours a day has part of the day was other work and my break.
Trouble is one of the lads worked 7:30 - 3;30 or 4:30 like i said above and he has worked last saturday and said he can only do driving for 1.5hours this saturday and he will worked in the yard. But i thought that you cant do this has he is still cover under the driving regs has it it class has other work becasue he has driven a vehicle which comes under the EU scope driving rules plus he can drive for for 2 saturdays. BUt would he need to start later then is normal time on the following monday?.

I know you would have seen loads of post asking the same questions but any help to clear this up would be much appreicated.

You have to have a weekly rest of 45 hours every other week. I make you a hour and a half hour adrift if you do this week after week.

As Mike said you’re only having 43½ hours weekly rest period, you can only legally do that every other week.

As for the part about someone working in the yard it doesn’t matter, if you drive to EU regulations at any time in the week you should comply with the weekly rest requirement.

Who can guess what I’m gonna say …

DCPC anyone? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll get me coat …

Why would anyone need to pay for a DCPC course on drivers hours when they can learn just as much here for nothing.

In fact given that a question here will often get different peoples opinions rather than just one persons opinion it’s probably more accurate and more valuable, but still doesn’t cost anything … how good is that :smiley:

tachograph:
Why would anyone need to pay for a DCPC course on drivers hours when they can learn just as much here for nothing.

In fact given that a question here will often get different peoples opinions rather than just one persons opinion it’s probably more accurate and more valuable, but still doesn’t cost anything … how good is that :smiley:

I think he’s being silly because i said he doesn’t appear to clued up. He knows full well an employer is responsible for making sure work can be completed legally and he also knows full well that an employer is responsible for monitoring wtd compliance and thus breaks. He probably also reaslises that we just ask questions here so as we cover our own back for when managers/consultants give us bum info, not to mention these DCPC trainers !!! :laughing:

tfclark:

Possible as a one off but depends on what weekly rests count for what weeks

If the first of those two weeks started with a full weekly rest attached to the start of that week and then its possible to do this -
Full - reduced - reduced - full … because one of those reduced will not count as a wekkly rest for any week

tachograph:

Unfortunately learning lots on here doesn’t make the blue card arrive :unamused: :wink:

Different opinions are sometimes a good thing but occasionaly I think people read an answer - take it to be the difinitive answer and don’t come back. If that was the wrong answer then … they never got the right one.

However - according to some posts on here DCPC trainers are no better. I know for fact managers are often no better but some are usually right.

Even our friendly authorities get it wrong.

I expect it’s 'cos we’re all human :smiley:

Mike-C:
I think he’s being silly because i said he doesn’t appear to clued up. He knows full well an employer is responsible for making sure work can be completed legally and he also knows full well that an employer is responsible for monitoring wtd compliance and thus breaks.

Yep to all that (except the bit about me not being clued up - I know a bit).

Mike-C:
He probably also reaslises that we just ask questions here so as we cover our own back for when managers/consultants give us bum info, not to mention these DCPC trainers !!! :laughing:

You have to admit to getting a lot of bum info on here as well though …

I couldn’t agree more that it IS (and rightly so) the employers responsibility to train the drivers regarding rules and regulations, operation of machinery and equipment and also to make sure they abide by those rules and regulations and operate things correctly and safely. Any decent place will likely try to do this. However - those employers may choose to do the training by sending the drivers on a DCPC course :wink: WHich is great for the driver if they are being paid and the course is free. of course they can easily give the required training without it qualifying for DCPC - which doesn’t help the driver.

At the moment 40% of my customers are individuals who have sorted their own DCPC because the boss won’t. That’s completely wrong and where i can - I help those lads out with cheaper rates and as much help as I can give.

shep532:
You have to admit to getting a lot of bum info on here as well though …

True. But given the amount of eyes looking at any posts and the responses its almost like scientific peer review !! :smiley: