Weekly Rest Periods

Just wondering if someone can give me some help into this.

I do know that the new rules are as follows from APRIL 2007

Within six 24 hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period, a driver will extend a daily rest period into either; a regular weekly rest period of at least 45 hours, or a reduced weekly rest period of less than 45 hours but at least 24 hours.
In any two consecutive weeks, a driver shall take at least two
regular weekly rest periods, or one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period of at least 24 hours.
However, the reduction shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest taken en bloc before the end of the third week following the week in question.

Ok, last week I worked 6 days mon to sat, I had 3 days of the previous week, so we can say my counter start from scratch.

Got back to work today, and my rest was 38 hours, so next weekend should I have 45 hours rest + 7 hours to compensate??
or I can just have 45 hours next weekend and 52 hours on the following weekend??

Any light into this would be very much appreciated

Either : you can add it , the 7 hour shortfall, to next weekends 45 or the one after that, you coul also add it on to a 9 hour daily rest period , if you can fit it in
The wording in the drivers hand book is as follows
" Any reductions must be compensated by a single equivalent amount by the end of the third week following the week of the reduction and must be added to a daily or weekly rest period of at least 9 hours long, two or more compensation periods may be added together"
Handy to know that in case you might be going on holiday on the third period

pierrot 14:
Either : you can add it , the 7 hour shortfall, to next weekends 45 or the one after that, you coul also add it on to a 9 hour daily rest period , if you can fit it in

Excellent, didn’t know you could add it to a daily rest period, that’s good news, thanks for the reply :stuck_out_tongue:

pierrot 14:
Either : you can add it , the 7 hour shortfall, to next weekends 45 or the one after that…

Or the one after that. Reduce week 1 and it must be paid back before the end of latest week 4. It’s the end of the third week following the reduction.

wegi:
Ok, last week I worked 6 days mon to sat, I had 3 days of the previous week, so we can say my counter start from scratch.

Got back to work today, and my rest was 38 hours, so next weekend should I have 45 hours rest

Was the three days off in the previous week fri, sat & sun?

Perhaps those in the know could back up my thinking on this …
If it was fri, sat & sun off and perhaps a total of 84 hours then IF that previous week only needed a reduced weekly rest that 84 hours could be 39 hours for the reduced and 45 for a full counting for the week of the 6 days (mon to sat)
IF that was correct then the weekend reduced of 38 hours counts for no weekly rest but is only there to prevent more than 144 hours allowing for another reduced weekend this coming weekend

Is my thinking correct?

When will these 5 year old rules be just called rules and not new rules?

How old do they have to be before they are accepted? :wink: