Weekly rest period query

Right, here goes, i was on holiday for 2 weeks, then i worked a full week, had 41 hrs off at weekend, then worked this week and i can only get 39 hrs off, i have 3 11 hr rest periods when i’m away but i also get 2 rest periods of approx 18 hrs at home during the working week, i do the same run thrice a week now, are you still allowed to make your hours up during the week or has it all changed? asked a couple of guys at work but they say the rules have all changed lately! can anyone shed any light on this?

you have to have a minimum of 45 hrs off this week…and make up the reduction from last week by the end of next week. :wink:

if you only had 41hrs off the 1st week then isn’t that classed as a 24hr rest so i would of thought you need at least a 45hr break this weekend,im sure someone will be around soon to correct me on that though!! :laughing:

TONY530I:
i was on holiday for 2 weeks, then i worked a full week

That is a FULL weekly rest for that week

TONY530I:
41 hrs off at weekend, then worked this week

That is a reduced weekly rest for this week

TONY530I:
can only get 39 hrs off

Not counted as weekly rest for any week

YOU MUST HAVE A 45 HOUR WEEKLY REST NEXT TIME

Any weekly rest that covers the sunday midnight can be used in the week previous or the week commencing but not in both

I am not the expert on this so perhaps a site GURU will confirm please

i got home at 5.30am today and need to leave at midnite sunday, which is 42.5hrs off not 39hrs. this i assume makes no difference as i need a 45hr rest period? correct? :confused:

TONY530I:
Right, here goes, i was on holiday for 2 weeks, then i worked a full week,

Provided you started back to work after 00:00 on the Monday then you can count part of that holiday as a full weekly rest for your first week back at work.

TONY530I:
had 41 hrs off at weekend,

That rest doesn’t matter and is really only there to prevent you working more than 6x24 hour periods without a rest. It also requires no compensation.

TONY530I:
then worked this week and i can only get 39 hrs off,

That’s fine, you only need a reduced rest this week and that’ll do as it.

TONY530I:
i have 3 11 hr rest periods when i’m away but i also get 2 rest periods of approx 18 hrs at home during the working week, i do the same run thrice a week now, are you still allowed to make your hours up during the week or has it all changed?

Either of those 18 hour daily rest periods you get this coming week will act as the 6 hours compensation for the 39 hour reduced rest this week.

You must take at least 45 hours rest this week after you finish your last shift. Any less and it will mean two consecutive weeks without a full weekly rest period and that is not allowed.

TONY530I:
asked a couple of guys at work but they say the rules have all changed lately! can anyone shed any light on this?

They are right, they did change very recently, 11th April 2007 in fact so over three years ago. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

TONY530I:
i got home at 5.30am today and need to leave at midnite sunday, which is 42.5hrs off not 39hrs. this i assume makes no difference as i need a 45hr rest period? correct? :confused:

You don’t need 45 this week, see my post above. You will only have 2.5 hours compensation to make now instead of 6 hours, so any daily rest period you have this week of at least 11.5 hours will take care of that.

what a clever bunch you lot are.

first weekly rest was 45 = full

second weekly rest was 41 = reduced

this week you need a 45 = full

Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from
the end of the last weekly rest period.

In any two consecutive ‘fixed’ weeks a driver must take at least:

• two regular weekly rests; or
  • one regular weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest.

205:

You’ve misread his situation.

Week 1 was full rest

41 hour rest was just to prevent him working more than 6x24 hour periods without a weekly rest and was also taken in week 1 so no need for compensation.

Week 2, this week he will have 42.5 and that is fine as he had a full rest in week 1.

Week 3, next week he will require a full weekly rest.

Week 1 full, week 2 reduced, week 3 full meets the requirements of the regulations. Nothing wrong with two reduced weekly rest periods in a row, in his case 41 then 42.5 hours, as long as the weekly requirements are met. Which he will do as long as he has a full rest for this coming week.

I had the reduced weekly rest as the 41 hours off so that the next 42.5 hours off could count (in part) as 4 hours payback for the 41 hours off reduced weekly rest - is thst OK ■■

ROG:
I had the reduced weekly rest as the 41 hours off so that the next 42.5 hours off could count (in part) as 4 hours payback for the 41 hours off reduced weekly rest - is thst OK ■■

It would be but it complicates things a little in that each rest will still be counting forward for the current week rather than the more normal previous week, if you see what I mean. Your way the rest for each week is at the beginning of each week rather than the more normal end.

Doing it the other way brings it back in line so makes it easier to keep track. It also means the 41 hours requires no compensation and the 42.5 hours only requires 2.5 hours compensation so is even easier to make up.

ROG:

Coffeeholic:
It would be but it complicates things a little in that each rest will still be counting forward for the current week rather than the more normal previous week, if you see what I mean.

Yes I do - in your senario the weekly rest reverts to the more normal end of the week more quickly than my senario did.

ROG:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:
It would be but it complicates things a little in that each rest will still be counting forward for the current week rather than the more normal previous week, if you see what I mean.

Yes I do - in your senario the weekly rest reverts to the more normal end of the week more quickly than my senario did.

Exactly, keeps it simple and makes it easier to calculate future weekly rest requirements.

Coffeeholic:

205:

You’ve misread his situation.

Week 1 was full rest

41 hour rest was just to prevent him working more than 6x24 hour periods without a weekly rest and was also taken in week 1 so no need for compensation.

Week 2, this week he will have 42.5 and that is fine as he had a full rest in week 1.

Week 3, next week he will require a full weekly rest.

Week 1 full, week 2 reduced, week 3 full meets the requirements of the regulations. Nothing wrong with two reduced weekly rest periods in a row, in his case 41 then 42.5 hours, as long as the weekly requirements are met. Which he will do as long as he has a full rest for this coming week.

ok, i see what your saying (weekly rest only applies to a fixed week), but he canot work more than 6 x 24 hour periods without taking a weekly rest which makes the 41hours a reduced weekly rest

205:
ok, i see what your saying (weekly rest only applies to a fixed week), but he canot work more than 6 x 24 hour periods without taking a weekly rest which makes the 41hours a reduced weekly rest

It is, but there is already a full rest for that week so it doesn’t count for anything other than to prevent him working 6 days without a weekly rest. His next rest can also be a reduced rest because there is no restriction on having back to back reduced weekly rest periods. I am on my second in a row now as it happens, had one from Wednesday morning until Thursday afternoon and am currently on one which I started at 19:30 last night and will finish at 20:45 tonight. As long as you maintain at least 1 regular and one full in any two consecutive weeks you can have other reduced rest periods in that time. the one full and the one reduced is the minimum requirement, you can exceed the minimum legally.

cheers coffee
:bulb: now i got it, the first week has 2 weekly rests attached to it—a 45+ and a 41,the second has a 39 attached to it

so he could have worked 6 days,had 24 hrs off,worked another 6 days,had 24 hrs off,worked another 6 days before needing a 45hrs + compensation off

205:
cheers coffee
:bulb: now i got it, the first week has 2 weekly rests attached to it—a 45+ and a 41,the second has a 39 attached to it

Correct

205:
so he could have worked 6 days,had 24 hrs off,worked another 6 days,had 24 hrs off,worked another 6 days before needing a 45hrs + compensation off

Indeed, and is in fact pretty close to what he is doing.

Can he not claim one of his 18 hour breaks as his compensation.

S80RTE:
Can he not claim one of his 18 hour breaks as his compensation.

Coffeeholic on Sat May 08, 2010 9:02 pm:
Either of those 18 hour daily rest periods you get this coming week will act as the 6 hours compensation for the 39 hour reduced rest this week.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: