Weekly rest on ferry

Can you interrupt a weekly rest to get on/off a ferry in the same way as a daily rest?

Eg, get on Portsmouth -Santander, book off for weekly rest, 27 off, get off ferry then have a further 18 to make a 45?

Answers on a postcard!

I would say as they have a specific mention in the regs about Ferry Break in a Daily rest period, but not about it in a weeky rest period then it would be. No you can’t do it.

As far as I’m aware, a weekly rest cannot be interupted.
But don’t quote me on that. Coffee Rog or any other of the resident swots :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley: will be along shortly to copy and paste the entire drivers hours regs :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

I remember Coffee answering this one several years ago and the answer is No. A weekly rest cannot be interrupted in any shape or form.

TheBear:
I remember Coffee answering this one several years ago and the answer is No. A weekly rest cannot be interrupted in any shape or form.

This^

The interrupting rest thing only mentions a full daily rest period, at least 11 hours, and as that is the only type of rest mentioned that is the only rest which can be interrupted.

That’s what I thought, as it only mentions daily rest in the regs, can you payback time during the week if you add it onto an 11 hour rest?

Cold Up North:
That’s what I thought, as it only mentions daily rest in the regs, can you payback time during the week if you add it onto an 11 hour rest?

Assuming you’re talking about the ‘compensated rest’ required to be taken where a regular weekly rest is reduced from the required 45 hours, the answer is yes. However, there are a couple of points;

the required rest (difference between 45 hours and what you took) must be taken in one go.
it needs to be added to a rest period of at least nine hours
must be paid back by the end of the third week following the week of the reduction.

so if you take a reduced weekly rest of 27 hours this week (Sunday 26th June), you need to show a rest period of at least 27 hours (9+18 owed) before the end of Sunday 17th July 2011

Interrupting a reduced weekly rest to facilitate a movement on or off a ferry is a dodgy area.

As far as I can see the regs do not say you can interrupt a weekly rest, but nor do they say you cannot interrupt a weekly rest.

In the UK VOSA seem to think you cannot, however I have been controlled by the French and Spanish after having interrupted a weekly rest for a ferry movement and have not had a problem.

Hombre:
Interrupting a reduced weekly rest to facilitate a movement on or off a ferry is a dodgy area.

It is dogy, it isn’t allowed.

Hombre:
As far as I can see the regs do not say you can interrupt a weekly rest, but nor do they say you cannot interrupt a weekly rest.

The very fact the regulations do not say you can means you definitely cannot. If something is allowed by the regulations then it has to be clearly stated in them.

Look at the section dealing with interrupt rest when using a ferry.

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

No other type of rest apart from a regular daily rest is mentioned therefore no other type of rest may be interrupted, not reduced daily rest and not regular or reduced weekly rest.

Hombre:
In the UK VOSA seem to think you cannot, however I have been controlled by the French and Spanish after having interrupted a weekly rest for a ferry movement and have not had a problem.

You were lucky, because it is a no no for sure.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
As far as I’m aware, a weekly rest cannot be interupted.
But don’t quote me on that. Coffee Rog or any other of the resident swots :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley: will be along shortly to copy and paste the entire drivers hours regs :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

told you :sunglasses: :laughing: :sunglasses:

isnt it funny how certain eu regs get interpreted differently in different countries they seem to ignore the one that make sense surely 1 hr moving off a ferry isnt going to jepordise life and limb sometimes i think the uk takes a much to literal interpretation of the law

I am under the impression that a weekly rest period cannot be interrupted but surely you are going to get a legitimate reduced weekly rest on the boat anyway at 27hrs for the crossing.

I used to use both plymouth-santander and pompey-bilbao ferry crossings for weekly rest periods all be it reduced.

Back in the days of paper tachos I used to start a weekly rest by putting fresh card in once on the boat and although it will run over the 24hr period whilst on board just mark the start and finish points as per the crossing and also the length of time the card was in the head.

It always satisfied the gendames, guardia civil and red caps and on a bad day every one of them would be looking to relieve you of cash for some trivial matter.

Not having mmuchexperience of the digi I don’t know if it would be possible to show it on one.

Cheers
Neilf

neilf:
I am under the impression that a weekly rest period cannot be interrupted but surely you are going to get a legitimate reduced weekly rest on the boat anyway at 27hrs for the crossing.

As long as you had a full weekly rest for the previous week the 27 hours will be fine. However, if you had a reduced rest for the previous week then you would need a minimum of 45.

neilf:
I used to use both plymouth-santander and pompey-bilbao ferry crossings for weekly rest periods all be it reduced.

Back in the days of paper tachos I used to start a weekly rest by putting fresh card in once on the boat and although it will run over the 24hr period whilst on board just mark the start and finish points as per the crossing and also the length of time the card was in the head.

It always satisfied the gendames, guardia civil and red caps and on a bad day every one of them would be looking to relieve you of cash for some trivial matter.

Not having mmuchexperience of the digi I don’t know if it would be possible to show it on one.

Cheers
Neilf

You could just put the digi on rest once on board and leave it until you were ready to disembark. One of the many good things about a digi is no worries about recording more than 24 hours.