Weekly Rest - driving once a week

Hi

A variation of the age-old maths problem. Can someone please confirm or deny the following for the sake of my fuzzy brain please?

I currently do other non-driving work Monday - Friday - total 40 hours, (leaving me enough time to do a shift of at least 8 hours, and which I now have a job doing exactly that).

If my other work (flexible) starts say at 0900 on a Monday and finishes at 1500 on a Friday, and if the driving shift started at 1200 on the Sunday, could I do that shift EVERY week?

I have so many spreadsheets, pieces of paper, government and EU regulations in front of me, I can’t think clearly any more.

Cheers everyone

Tim676:
Hi

A variation of the age-old maths problem. Can someone please confirm or deny the following for the sake of my fuzzy brain please?

I currently do other non-driving work Monday - Friday - total 40 hours, (leaving me enough time to do a shift of at least 8 hours, and which I now have a job doing exactly that).

If my other work (flexible) starts say at 0900 on a Monday and finishes at 1500 on a Friday, and if the driving shift started at 1200 on the Sunday, could I do that shift EVERY week?

I have so many spreadsheets, pieces of paper, government and EU regulations in front of me, I can’t think clearly any more.

Cheers everyone

Yes. Legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim676:
Hi

Cheers everyone

The 40 hours in the non driving job has nothing to do with it because the non driving is under basic WTD and driving job is under RTD - the two do not get added together

What does matter is the weekly rest rules which you have complied with in full :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You could do a sunday 1200 to 2400 driving shift every week

ROG:

Tim676:
Hi

Cheers everyone

The 40 hours in the non driving job has nothing to do with it because the non driving is under basic WTD and driving job is under RTD - the two do not get added together

What does matter is the weekly rest rules which you have complied with in full :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You could do a sunday 1200 to 2400 driving shift every week

Thanks Rog - yes it’s the weekly rest I was concerned about. I currently do a 0400 start on a Sunday which means I can only work once a fortnight - I calculated I could do every week on a Sunday any shift starting no earlier than 1200 and finishing no later than 2359 same day

In terms of the 48 hour average, of course you can opt-out in the non-driving job, which isn’t an issue. In the driving job your non-driving work still counts. The pieces of legislation apply at the same time and they apply to all your work. So in other words, strictly speaking you should be coming in at under 48 hours average. Most employers will cover themselves by putting a section on the timesheet or a clause in the contract saying you must declare other work.

Noremac:
In terms of the 48 hour average, of course you can opt-out in the non-driving job, which isn’t an issue. In the driving job your non-driving work still counts. The pieces of legislation apply at the same time and they apply to all your work. So in other words, strictly speaking you should be coming in at under 48 hours average. Most employers will cover themselves by putting a section on the timesheet or a clause in the contract saying you must declare other work.

48 hrs is no problem - thanks

A few of us on here looked into the WTD regs for both and there is nothing in law which adds the two different types together but work done on the normal WTD cannot count as rest for the tacho regs

Unless of course the law has changed or we all missed the same important piece of legislation :exclamation:

ROG:
A few of us on here looked into the WTD regs for both and there is nothing in law which adds the two different types together but work done on the normal WTD cannot count as rest for the tacho regs

Unless of course the law has changed or we all missed the same important piece of legislation :exclamation:

That’s the issue that I think is crucial - it’s more about the weekly rest than the working time. Thanks everyone / I think I’ve read it right