Weekly rest argument with boss!

As said i am having an argument with the boss over weekly rest. I finished a 66hr weekly rest on tuesday the 15th then done six shifts and finished a 34hr reduced rest period on tuesday the 22nd at 1830hrs,
I am now saying i can do another six days as long as my driving is ok but he insists i can only do 6 shifts one week and 5 the next meaning i can only do 5 shifts this week!! Please tell me he is not right guys!!!

I understand that you can reduce two weeks running as you but you have to compensate and not reduce the following two but I could be wrong :laughing:

â– Within 6 days of the end of a weekly rest period a driver must take 45 hours continuous Regular Weekly Rest.
â– A Reduced Weekly Rest of 24 Hours may be taken, but must be compensated for before the end of the third week following the rest.
â– Any two consecutive weeks must contain at least one 45 Hour Regular Weekly Rest.

Does that help?

A copy of this for yourself & boss might help

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Trans … hicles.pdf

How many hours driving have you done each week?

welltin:
How many hours driving have you done each week?

My driving hours are fine as we do a lot of sitting about but he is saying because i have had a reduced rest i cant do 6 shifts this week and im sure that i can as my reading of the rules says i can!! Maybe i am wrong though

I believe you are right from the info you have given, that you should be able to do another 6 day week.

Could your boss be telling you no because of the WTD? how many hours did you work in the week?

I’m not the best at this but I think I have it sussed

I finished a 66hr weekly rest on tuesday the 15th

That is a full weekly rest for the week 14-20 march

finished a 34hr reduced rest period on tuesday the 22nd

That is a reduced weekly rest for the week 21-27 march with 11 hours to payback

finished a 34hr reduced rest period on tuesday the 22nd at 1830hrs,

Which means the next weekly rest must start at or before monday 28 march 1830 hrs so you have 144 hrs (6 X 24 hour periods) available)

The next FULL weekly rest must be started at or before 2359 hours on sunday 3rd april but judging by your shift pattern you may need to start that full weekly rest at or before monday 28 march 1830 hrs

IMO - It would be unlikely that the boss is referring in any way to the RT(WT)R as no-one really bothers with it

For example, a qualifying regular daily rest period could be interrupted in the following manner:
Rest 2 hours
Driving/other work (embarkation) 30 minutes
Rest (on ferry or train) 7 hours
Driving/other work (disembarkation) 30 minutes
Rest 2 hours
Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.
A regular weekly rest period is a period of at least 45 consecutive hours.
Note: An actual working week starts at the end of a weekly rest period, and finishes when another weekly rest period is commenced, which may mean weekly rest is taken in the middle of a fixed (Monday to Sunday) week. This is perfectly acceptable — the working week is not required to be aligned with the ‘fixed’ week contained in the rules, provided all the relevant limits are complied with.
Alternatively, a driver can take a reduced weekly rest period of a minimum of 24 consecutive hours. If a reduction is taken, it must be compensated for by an equivalent period of rest taken in one block before the end of the third week following the week in question. The compensating rest must be attached to a period of rest of at least 9 hours — in effect either a weekly or a daily rest period.
For example, where a driver reduces a weekly rest period to 33 hours in week 1, he must compensate for this by attaching a 12-hour period of rest to another rest period of at least 9 hours before the end of week 4. This compensation cannot be taken in several smaller periods.
In any two consecutive ‘fixed’ weeks a driver must take at least: - two regular weekly rests; or - one regular weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest.

knock10:
As said i am having an argument with the boss over weekly rest. I finished a 66hr weekly rest on tuesday the 15th then done six shifts and finished a 34hr reduced rest period on tuesday the 22nd at 1830hrs,
I am now saying i can do another six days as long as my driving is ok but he insists i can only do 6 shifts one week and 5 the next meaning i can only do 5 shifts this week!! Please tell me he is not right guys!!!

Assuming that the 66 hours weekly rest can be attributed to last week which it needs to then you can do another six shifts but would then need a full 45 hour weekly rest period.

As a general rule and depending on what hours you normally work your boss is probably correct about normally only being able to work six days every other week, in order to comply with the regulations you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest at least every second week, the compensation for a reduced weekly rest period should be paid back by the end of the third week following the week in which you had the reduced weekly rest period.

This means that most people working a regular shift pattern would only be able to work five days one week and six days the next, or in other words for most people it means you could work 5 days and six days on alternative weeks.

I have to say that this is only a general guide and what days you can work really depends on what hours you normally work, but you must be able to get a regular weekly rest period in every other week and stil pay back any compensation owed for the weeks when you had reduced weekly rest periods.

knock10:

Your boss is a ■■■■.

That’s all you need to know as regards this question, I trust this clarifies matters for you.

Coffeeholic:

knock10:

Your boss is a ■■■■.

That’s all you need to know as regards this question, I trust this clarifies matters for you.

coffee for once you are wrong. his boss is not a ■■■■ he,s a prick. please do not insult the fowl preternity. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

browncow2:

Coffeeholic:

knock10:

Your boss is a ■■■■.

coffee for once you are wrong. his boss is not a ■■■■ he,s a prick. please do not insult the fowl preternity. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think it’s a question of size and I would generally regard a ■■■■ as being larger than a prick and in this instance it is clear his boss is not the smaller of the two. :wink:

I’d like to know who givinthem this bull crap information. They think the same where I work, 6 days then 5 days and I’ve told them it’s rubbish but they won’t listen. So I’m just doing six days a week. Being careful to comply with the two fixed weeks rule of course

switchlogic:
I’d like to know who givinthem this bull crap information. They think the same where I work, 6 days then 5 days and I’ve told them it’s rubbish but they won’t listen. So I’m just doing six days a week. Being careful to comply with the two fixed weeks rule of course

Well to be fair it’s not entirely wrong is it, for most people working 6 days then 5 days would be all that’s legally practical.
The OPs boss was wrong in this case but generally drivers working regular shifts would indeed find it difficult to work 6 days a week and still have a regular weekly rest every second week and pay back the compensation for the reduced weekly rest periods.

Certainly it’s wrong to suggest that a driver has to work only 5 days if he/she worked 6 shifts the previous week but it does seem to work out that way for most drivers :wink:

switchlogic:

Indeed. This is the same as when people ask how many hours do the regulations say can I work in a shift, a popular question on here. The answer is the regulations do not state the maximum hours in a shift and it’s all about the daily rest requirements.

Same thing for this situation, just substitute shifts in a week for hours in a shift and weekly rest for daily rest in the answer. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

knock10:

Your boss is a ■■■■.

Love your answer coffeeholic. I knew he was wrong but its like talking to a brick wall! I wouldnt mind so much if he had the slightest idea what he was talking about. He is now talking about another driver taking over for the night at his cost even though i insist i can work another night!!! Oh well i am just a driver so i will adhere to his wishes :confused: :unamused:

Where i used to work, the clowns in the office had it thet you did a six day then a five day week as it made it easy for them to work out all the hours.
They did this so you had a reduction one week then a 45 plus what you were short from the previos week.
Just made it easy for them but reduced your earnings potential.