Weekly rest (agency, second job)

Hi all,

I have a full time (non-driving) M-F job (8.30-4 M-T, 8.30-12 on Fridays).

I enjoy driving so signed up to an agency after passing my Class 2 in the summer (PCV driver in 2015 for a couple of years).

I’m just wondering if I’m in breach of weekly rest though.

If I do a driving shift for one day every other weekend, this would make it a reduced weekly rest as I’m driving on my rest day.

When it comes to compensating, how do I calculate how much I need to “add” and I presume my time from shift finish on Friday until work starting on Monday morning all count.

I’ve just been through a CPC course that said the rules were changed last year and he kept talking about adding 21 hours onto a 45 hour weekly rest to compensate…but that would be impossible for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your rest compensation is only the hours worked
So if you worked 12 hours one Sat you’ll easily compensate the next week
12pm fri to 8 am Monday = 68 hours
So working a typical 6 am to 6pm Saturday would mean you’ll still have 36 hours rest so only 9 hours compensation needed

blue estate:
So working a typical 6 am to 6pm Saturday would mean you’ll still have 36 hours rest so only 9 hours compensation needed

Ah that makes more sense and more like what I had understood previously.

The way the trainer went on it was as if the entire Saturday (if driving) was completely disregarded.

So it’s just the actual driving shift time taken from the rest that needs paid back, not the full day.

Thanks for that.

liviboy:

blue estate:

The way the trainer went on it was as if the entire Saturday (if driving) was completely disregarded.

So it’s just the actual driving shift time taken from the rest that needs paid back, not the full day.

Thanks for that.

The wonderful CPC and the teachers who know Zb all :unamused:
You could easily start driving at 1pm on a Friday till 11:30 pm if you wanted to then start a 10:30 Saturday morning and do a full day and still compensate the rest the next week end
As long as your shift finishes at 8am on a Sunday morning one week you’ll be fine the next for compensating your rest

blue estate:

liviboy:

blue estate:

Thanks for that.

You could easily start driving at 1pm on a Friday till 11:30 pm if you wanted to then start a 10:30 Saturday morning and do a full day and still compensate the rest the next week end
As long as your shift finishes at 8am on a Sunday morning one week you’ll be fine the next for compensating your rest

Death by PowerPoint even over Zoom!

Can I just check though…do you mean I could only work a Friday or Saturday and never a Sunday with your last point? Or did you mean if I worked a Friday/Saturday I’d need to ensure I was finished by 8 on the Sunday in order to ensure I could pay back?

liviboy:

blue estate:

liviboy:

blue estate:

Thanks for that.

Death by PowerPoint even over Zoom!

Can I just check though…do you mean I could only work a Friday or Saturday and never a Sunday with your last point? Or did you mean if I worked a Friday/Saturday I’d need to ensure I was finished by 8 on the Sunday in order to ensure I could pay back?

As you’ve worked during the week at the other job , you need 24hours rest before you start a new week

blue estate:
As you’ve worked during the week at the other job , you need 24hours rest before you start a new week

Perfect. Thank you so much. I was just checking that I was OK to drive a Sunday a few weeks ago (I was on leave on the Monday and Tuesday which means yes but normally it would be no).

You’ve been so helpful! A lot more so than the guy doing the the CPC!

Legally you could do this -

Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Drive sat
Off sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat
Drive sun
Work mon to fri
Back to start

ROG:

Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Drive sat
Off sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat
Drive sun
Work mon to fri
Back to start

Thanks ROG!

One final bit for clarity, if you don’t mind then, does it matter if Saturday or Sunday sometimes “double-up”.

e.g.:

Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Drive sat
Off sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Drive sat
Off sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat
Drive sun
Work mon to fri
Back to start

Or

Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Drive sat
Off sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat
Drive sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat
Drive sun
Work mon to fri
Back to start

99% of the time I’m asked to do a Saturday, but just want to be absolutely sure just in case.

You post is also legal :smiley:

liviboy:

ROG:

Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Drive sat
Off sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat + sun
Work mon to fri
Off sat
Drive sun
Work mon to fri
Back to start

Thanks for this post, it is exactly what I am looking at doing to get some Class 2 experience in the next few months, so it’s good to see it written down as clearly as this.

How is it going with the agency for ad-hoc weekend work? I’m in touch with 1 agency in South Wales that seem keen to give me some shifts, but most agencies I’ve contacted don’t offer this ad-hoc sort of work.

ROG:
You post is also legal :smiley:

Thank you so much ROG. Really appreciate you coming back to me.

Goff118:
Thanks for this post, it is exactly what I am looking at doing to get some Class 2 experience in the next few months, so it’s good to see it written down as clearly as this.

How is it going with the agency for ad-hoc weekend work? I’m in touch with 1 agency in South Wales that seem keen to give me some shifts, but most agencies I’ve contacted don’t offer this ad-hoc sort of work.

I’m in Scotland and the agency couldn’t be more accommodating tbh. I let them know what I was after and they have worked with me with some of their regular clients to purposely get me some experience in areas I wasn’t sure about (e.g. in driver training they don’t exactly show you how to properly secure loads, undo curtains, etc.). I think I’m very lucky having read some of the horror stories!

Ah fantastic - all the best! I’ve told the agency I have signed up with that I will be available from 16th October, so I’ll see how it goes soon!