weekend working

sonofjamie:
It’s interesting that they treat truck drivers as if they are as thick as mince, and then give them a set of regs to follow that you would need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to understand!!! :unamused:

That is WHY they do it - easy money :smiling_imp:

On the other topic of ‘weekend working’ I posted that there had been a loophole spotted that would’ve allowed his example to be legal - that is the loophole I was talking about, but as a driver, I’d have just said no, alternate your 45hr rests and you can’t go wrong - he says :open_mouth:

sonofjamie:
Apologies to ROG for doubting him. :blush:

No problem - they don’t make the rules very easy and it took me quite some time with much help from certain members of this site to get my head around them a few years ago

Those members taught me to take each rule in turn and see if each had been complied with and if it all answered yes then it was legal even if my own perception (way of thinking) said differently

waynedl:
On the other topic of ‘weekend working’ I posted that there had been a loophole spotted that would’ve allowed his example to be legal - that is the loophole I was talking about, but as a driver, I’d have just said no, alternate your 45hr rests and you can’t go wrong - he says :open_mouth:

I would generally agree with that, play safe and have a regular weekly rest period at-least every second week.

But sometimes, for whatever reason, people want/need to make the most of the available hours.

And that is why I try to avoid weekends so I make sure I have enough weekly rest :smiley:
Many thanks for the answer anyway, they don’t make it easy do they :unamused:

Cheers

Was going to ask bout reduced rest then read this thread. I normally only do mon-fri but worked last sat had 40 hrs off and there wanting me to run tommorow do I need a full 45 for this weekend or can I make it back next weekend as I am off for 4 days?? Never had to work 2 weekend shifts so not 100% sure many thanks Andy.

andy_c1982:
Was going to ask bout reduced rest then read this thread. I normally only do mon-fri but worked last sat had 40 hrs off and there wanting me to run tommorow do I need a full 45 for this weekend or can I make it back next weekend as I am off for 4 days?? Never had to work 2 weekend shifts so not 100% sure many thanks Andy.

Like the answer to the first question it depends on what you did over the past few weeks especially what you had off over the xmas period

Like the OP, was your first shift back after xmas on mon jan 6th?

ROG:

andy_c1982:

Like the answer to the first question it depends on what you did over the past few weeks especially what you had off over the xmas period

Yes was off from the 19th dec to then.

andy_c1982:

ROG:

andy_c1982:

Then as a one off you can do a reduced this weekend

I will explain …
The last 45 hours of your xmas holls counts as the regular weekly rest for the fixed week 06/01 to 12/01 and then all your weekly rests are at the start of each fixed week

The reduced last weekend was a reduced for the fixed week 20/01 to 26/01
The reduced this weekend is not used for any fixed week
The regular weekly rest taken on the weekend of sat 01/02 + sun 02/02 will be the regular weekly rest for the fixed week 27/01 to 02/02

The weekly rests are now at the end of each fixed week

ROG:

andy_c1982:

ROG:

andy_c1982:

Then as a one off you can do a reduced this weekend

I will explain …
The last 45 hours of your xmas holls counts as the regular weekly rest for the fixed week 06/01 to 12/01 and then all your weekly rests are at the start of each fixed week

The reduced last weekend was a reduced for the fixed week 20/01 to 26/01
The reduced this weekend is not used for any fixed week
The regular weekly rest taken on the weekend of sat 01/02 + sun 02/02 will be the regular weekly rest for the fixed week 27/01 to 02/02

The weekly rests are now at the end of each fixed week

Thanks very much for the advice I thought I could but wasnt sure like to keep myself right.
Thanks Andy

I did a DCPC at the weekend - sat next to a retired Traffic Cop (of 30 years experience).

He was gobsmacked at how difficult drivers hours laws were - and I guess to anyone new to the trade there is so much to learn.

I also learnt a new one - how you can do 7 shifts over 7 days in a week legally… :open_mouth:

Essix Blue:
I did a DCPC at the weekend - sat next to a retired Traffic Cop (of 30 years experience).

He was gobsmacked at how difficult drivers hours laws were - and I guess to anyone new to the trade there is so much to learn.

I also learnt a new one - how you can do 7 shifts over 7 days in a week legally… :shock:

You can legally do some work on 7 successive days as long as you don’t go over 144 hours between weekly rest periods, not every week though if you’re on EU regulations.

I think you’ll find it’s been discussed on this board before :wink:

tachograph:

Essix Blue:

I also learnt a new one - how you can do 7 shifts over 7 days in a week legally… :shock:

You can legally do some work on 7 successive days as long as you don’t go over 144 hours between weekly rest periods, not every week though if you’re on EU regulations.

I think you’ll find it’s been discussed on this board before :wink:

What some of the newbies were struggling with was the reduced daily rest - when you do a 14 hour shift take 11 off and don’t think you’ve had a reduced rest.

What I’ve always advised is - don’t just take notice of you daily REST, work it out with the SHIFT you’ve just done.

Essix Blue:
What I’ve always advised is - don’t just take notice of you daily REST, work it out with the SHIFT you’ve just done.

On its own that does not work

Do 4 x 12 hour shifts with 10 hours off between them

ROG:

Essix Blue:

I didn’t say ‘on its own’…

I said ‘as well as’ :wink:

Essix Blue:

ROG:

Essix Blue:

I didn’t say ‘on its own’…

I said ‘as well as’ :wink:

Probably the way I read it - still got a load of anaesthetic in my system from yesterdays gall bladder removal op - that’s my excuse and I am sticking to it :laughing: