Weekend work

Just seen an ad in my Local Rag for Drivers on Days, Nights and Weekends. I’m a night person so this’ll be another Agency I’ll be signing up with, that’s 5 and still hardly any work. Anyway, Weekend work is something I’ve not even thought about, but if the moneys right…
Comments please :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I work every Sunday…when you do it for a few months saturdays and sundays are just simply “another 2 out of the 7” so its not a problem.

Adam_Mc:
I work every Sunday…when you do it for a few months saturdays and sundays are just simply “another 2 out of the 7” so its not a problem.

Thanks.
In a previous life I used to work 10 on 4 off, a weekend was ‘just another day’ so no ‘biggie’.
I’ve always been ‘available’ to work Sunday nights but only had one job offered then it got cancelled cos the Ship was late :cry: :cry:
I was wondering about the money and what kind of work it could/would be. :cry: I live in ‘Container Land’ so more than likely container work :unamused:

dinosteveus1:

Adam_Mc:

Thanks.
In a previous life I used to work 10 on 4 off, a weekend was ‘just another day’ so no ‘biggie’.
I’ve always been ‘available’ to work Sunday nights but only had one job offered then it got cancelled cos the Ship was late :cry: :cry:
I was wondering about the money and what kind of work it could/would be. :cry: I live in ‘Container Land’ so more than likely container work :unamused:

Well if its an agency advert then I think the standard phraseology is “days, nights and weekends available”. Work wise, nothing will be different…haulage is 7 days a week. But pay should be at least £3ph more than a weekday shift.

But all agencies work different…some agencies offer different rates for daytime and night time…but the agency I work for don’t offer different rates for day/night.

How things change - when I was on agency in the 90s we got double time for Sundays - and they had trouble getting people to do it.

I work wed-sun and do get extra for the weekend but not a great deal more but the days suit me,it something that you get used too,as said in the comments above its a 24/7, 7 days a weel industry so there always looking for weekend people,we have people at our place that only come in on a sat/sun then go back to what ever job they do in the week.

Santa:
How things change - when I was on agency in the 90s we got double time for Sundays - and they had trouble getting people to do it.

You said it mate!! The last agency I worked for paid doubl bubble on Sundays, so of course, being a greedy sod I made sure I was available for them. These days, I have to work every other Sunday to round up the 48 hour average week, and for some reason, I’m just not that enthusiastic as I once was for Sunday working :neutral_face:

The other good thing about weekend work is that it tends to be quieter on the roads, though you do get more idiots around who only take their cars out at weekends. Also find staff at RDCs are more friendly - possibly because not as many management around?

Agree about the rates though, my agency pays £10 during the week, £12 on Saturday and £14 for Sunday - haven’t had double time for years & I blame the likes of Toscos etc. who regard Sunday as ‘just another day’.

tallyman:
‘…Toscos etc … regard Sunday as ‘just another day’…’

Surely that company is simply reflecting society’s demand - as sanctioned by Government, to dilute many things special about Sundays not least by wanting stuff 24/7 and finding ‘alternatives’ to Christian practices and principles?

Funny how the senior managers who regard Sunday as just another day don’t work weekends.