Weekend work for new driver

Hi everyone - got lots of good advice from here over the last 8 months - now got my HGV C & ALLMI. Because I am still lucky enough to work full-time outside the industry, it does mean I can’t/don’t need to go full time driver which has the double-whammy effect of being unable to get the experience I really want and need and I need to watch my hours as well.

Has anyone got ANY tips about how/where I might find a Saturday or Sunday driving job?

Cheers all.

Register with some agencies, you might be lucky to get some shift from time to time, I could before Covid, nothing at the moment, you might be more lucky, it’s easier to get Monday - Friday but N/A to you.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

Tim I was in your exact predicament 3 years ago. Was in a full time job and only wanted weekend work. Found it very difficult. Registered with an agency and explained to them I wanted weekend work but they offered me a full time Monday to Friday job [emoji23].

I took some time to think about it and discussed it with a work colleague or two (wasn’t working as a driver In that job), and they reminded me that I’d spent all that time and money on obtaining my licence that i should just bite the bullet and do it. So I did. Ok it was with Dawnus and shortly after they went bust [emoji23]. But I didn’t look back and there are plenty of agency jobs out there (no covid then)

Maybe you need to just bite the bullet if you are able to…just saying

If got mon to fri job then driving one day every other weekend is likely to be your driving job limit

ROG:
If got mon to fri job then driving one day every other weekend is likely to be your driving job limit

Yeah - thanks Rog - I’d searched that exact topic elsewhere on this site and knew that (double checked it myself to get my head round it) Be interested to see if any changes post 31/12/20

milesahead:
Register with some agencies, you might be lucky to get some shift from time to time, I could before Covid, nothing at the moment, you might be more lucky, it’s easier to get Monday - Friday but N/A to you.

Thanks - yes - in the process of doing that. Is it normal to not receive any acknowledgement of submitting my CV and only hear when they have something for you? Cheers.

oldwelshdude:
Tim I was in your exact predicament 3 years ago. Was in a full time job and only wanted weekend work. Found it very difficult. Registered with an agency and explained to them I wanted weekend work but they offered me a full time Monday to Friday job [emoji23].

I took some time to think about it and discussed it with a work colleague or two (wasn’t working as a driver In that job), and they reminded me that I’d spent all that time and money on obtaining my licence that i should just bite the bullet and do it. So I did. Ok it was with Dawnus and shortly after they went bust [emoji23]. But I didn’t look back and there are plenty of agency jobs out there (no covid then)

Maybe you need to just bite the bullet if you are able to…just saying

Thanks - I’m not going to do that just yet - I’m in a well-paid job - this is my Plan B as I have very specific skills which, if things continue as they are, will be of little use to me outside of the industry which is currently failing, and I get laid-off. Eventually if things actually get better, I’d like to cut those hours and start more driving. (I’m over 50 now).

I have very specific skills

Your not Liam Neeson are ya? [emoji23].

I was 45 when I started. Maybe wait till this Corona is done. I wish you luck finding weekend work. But as ROG says if you work Monday to Friday already then you can only work every other Saturday only due to weekly rest [emoji1306]

oldwelshdude:

I have very specific skills

Your not Liam Neeson are ya? [emoji23].

I was 45 when I started. Maybe wait till this Corona is done. I wish you luck finding weekend work. But as ROG says if you work Monday to Friday already then you can only work every other Saturday only due to weekly rest [emoji1306]

air traffic controller :smiley: - not much use outside of … air traffic control :laughing: :laughing:

Tim676:

milesahead:

Thanks - yes - in the process of doing that. Is it normal to not receive any acknowledgement of submitting my CV and only hear when they have something for you? Cheers.

Normally they should invite you to complete a registration online or visit their office to do the same.
#Very often they will tell you that they will give you some job straight after your registration which is not always the case even if they mention exact contract, you will be just a cover in the worst case scenario.

Some of them will disappear for a long time after you complete your registration, some might call or write you from time to time asking if you are available, normally between Monday and Friday even though you told them that you are available weekends only. And only few will offer ( or offered before covid in my case ) weekend shift sometimes, often last minute evening call, or early morning, but sometimes I was even booked in advance :slight_smile:

Now in covid world it’s difficult to get a shift, when YOU want it, as there are not so many jobs, they like you to be flexible and available as often as possible, 1 day in two weeks is not what makes them exited, most likely this shift will be offered to someone full time on agency, to top up their pay but there is always a possibility…