Weekend job, will my employers know?

Hi all, I drive full time during the week and just wondered if I do a days driving every other weekend will my employers find out? Downloading Tacho card, etc?

Stupid question to some maybe, but If it’s better just to tell them then I might just have to do that :open_mouth:

Never had two jobs at once so bit of a grey area for me,

Cheers anyway

Dan Bear 87:
Hi all, I drive full time during the week and just wondered if I do a days driving every other weekend will my employers find out? Downloading Tacho card, etc?

Stupid question to some maybe, but If it’s better just to tell them then I might just have to do that :open_mouth:

Never had two jobs at once so bit of a grey area for me,

Cheers anyway

If they download your digi card then yeah of course :laughing: well of course if they check, depends on the firm I guess.
I’d just tell your boss your thoughts/plans first not worth getting the sack over in the ‘big brother’ world we live in these days.

In my contract, it states in black and white that I “must make all my available driving/work time” for the company. No chance of any agency work on the side here.

In our contract it’s made clear that our employer has exclusivity of our work in time. No chance of earning a few extra quid with a weekend job.

If you really need to do this, won’t condone but won’t critcise either cos you might need the money badly, been there T shirt etc, the only way you could keep this from your weekday employer is if you drove an older vehicle at the weekend with tacho card and made absolutely sure no bugger from your weekday place saw you (be assured someone will, and grass you up), course if you get a tug at the weekend and the VOSA crew spot infringements with combined work then it could bite you in the arse big time.

I’d have a word with your present employer, they might be ok about it they might not, they might be glad for you to do you some weekend work for them.

We have a clause in our contract that you can’t work for anyone else. Basically as an employer, we have an obligation to monitor your WTD and if I don’t know what a driver is actually working, I can’t do that.

On a personal level I don’t care if people work at the weekends, however if I saw it on a digital, I’d be having words. Obviously if you have a job that has very set hours and you are nowhere near your 48 and you can get the legal rests in, then it’s ok, but I’d still mention it.

Captain Caveman 76:
In our contract it’s made clear that our employer has exclusivity of our work in time. No chance of earning a few extra quid with a weekend job.

Unless you do van work, something which doesn’t require your tacho card. Just make sure you keep to the correct weekly rests, keep a record of it in case you get pulled while out in the dayjob wagon. It is questionable behaviour though, you signed the contract willingly so breaching it is rather naughty.

Radar19:
In my contract, it states in black and white that I “must make all my available driving/work time” for the company. No chance of any agency work on the side here.

I wonder how legal this is. I understand companies need to monitor the WTD but it’s essentially restraint of trade and dictating what employers can do outside their employment

If I signed a contract to work monday to friday I would not be happy to be told that I cannot work every other saturday for example. If a company wanted me on standby I would expect to be paid for it.

jonnyboat:

Radar19:

I wonder how legal this is. I understand companies need to monitor the WTD but it’s essentially restraint of trade and dictating what employers can do outside their employment

If I signed a contract to work monday to friday I would not be happy to be told that I cannot work every other saturday for example. If a company wanted me on standby I would expect to be paid for it.

I would say it’s completely legal if you’ve signed a contract agreeing to it.

I was led to believe it is against the law (regarding driving) not to inform a company that you work for (full time, part time etc.) if you do work for another company. Not saying it’s illegal not to, but you need to inform them this is what you are doing/ want to do.

tachograph:

jonnyboat:

Radar19:

I would say it’s completely legal if you’ve signed a contract agreeing to it.
[/quote]

It maybe legal for an employer to stop a driver free time is spent but just because a written contract has been signed it doesn’t necessarily make the content legally binding.

There are numerous examples of restrictive covenants that have been deemed unenforcable

jonnyboat:
There are numerous examples of restrictive covenants that have been deemed unenforceable

I agree 100%, but I’m reasonably sure you’ll find that an employee signing a contract that says he won’t work for another company isn’t one of them :wink:

andy_s:
I was led to believe it is against the law (regarding driving) not to inform a company that you work for (full time, part time etc.) if you do work for another company. Not saying it’s illegal not to, but you need to inform them this is what you are doing/ want to do.

Mine contracts have normally said something along the lines of “You can not do other work which could affect you doing ours”. So if you work a Saturday on agency and then the next week your full time job ask you to work the next Saturday and you say you can’t then it’s a problem.

If it’s a paper disc lorry on the Saturday for the agency then just bin it and crack on :wink:

I’m contracted to 47.5 hours per week and I’ve just asked my employer if I could do something similar cause I’d happily work one day a weekend per fortnight to help me get more experience on the artics.

He said he will have to get back to me cause he needs to find out some info first.

However I’m under the impression I could do it just aslong as I don’t go over 60h

andy_s:

I seem to remember that if you work for 2 or more companies you must inform each company in writing.

It’s not just driving it’s any form of work rest is just that you are supposed to be able to dispose of your time freely.
Even shelf stacking at Tesco is work with regards to rest

It cleared the TA out of wagon drivers a few years ago as lads were driving all week and then doing some top quality part time soldiering at weekends.
Arrive back at work Monday tell everyone about it only to find they’d had insufficient weekly rest.

A weekly rest period

A weekly rest period is the weekly period during which drivers may freely dispose of their time. It may be either a ‘regular weekly rest period’ or a ‘reduced weekly rest period’.

Time spent working in other employment or under obligation or instruction, regardless of the occupation type, cannot be counted as rest. This includes work where you are self-employed, work related to community service, non-emergency* retained fire fighting, or training related to obtaining/retaining a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) where the training is at the request or instigation of an employer. DCPC training can only be undertaken during rest periods where the driver is attending voluntarily.

Get a job driving one eh those sameday Argos vans. I got a delivery at the weekend and the driver said it was a piece of ■■■■. No heavy gear like couches etc just small stuff kettles, microwaves.