Weekend in Lyon!

Evening

Looking for some advice, got next Sunday and most of Monday parked up in or around Lyon. Does anyone know of anywhere safe to park? Possibly with showers, I do love a wash [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
I will be tipping at the exhibition centre Saturday afternoon and on Google it doesn’t look like there is anywhere near by to camp, it looks like there is a truck stop near the airport however there is no clear description of what’s there?
Any help much appreciated.

Hi javo. There used tobe a truckstop in Lyon it’s been closed for a couple of years now. I used to park in panache nr the prison. And walk into Lyon. Some good Irish bars in Lyon but expensive. You could always try Macon and it’s open all weekend

Please do not park the truck in or around Lyon.
Along with Marseille,it is not a safe place.
On the Autoroute A46 Aire de Communay.09360.
Has free Lgv parking and an option for payable parking in a locked secure compound.
There is restaurants and showers there.
With a foreign truck parked in Lyon, it will attract cab thieves as at some point, you will not be inside it to guard it.Then the risk of trailer damage and theft of the load.
It may be boring sat in a Msa ,but you sleep safe.Peace of mind.
I unloaded at Marseille once.The place had barbed wire and razor wire everywhere.
Loads of dodgy blokes mooching around.
They looked like ex cons that had done time for murder .Facial scars and eyes missing from fighting in prison.

Remember that in France it is illegal to have a 45 hour rest in your cab, with a penalty of upto 30,000 Euro if caught!!! I have heard this is being strictly enforced. You will therefore have to either split your rest period up, or book yourself into a hotel.

Really? Ow right I will have to split the rest up then I guess. I defo won’t be hanging around then if that is the case,I did read about crime of foreign travellers in France and it does concern me. If I have to park away from the venue I will as you can’t put a price on safety, I will take my push bike and have a look around. Thanks for the replays chaps.

Watch out for your diesel as well. I have already had 2 tank fulls completely drained in France this year.

whelmic:
Remember that in France it is illegal to have a 45 hour rest in your cab, with a penalty of upto 30,000 Euro if caught!!! I have heard this is being strictly enforced. You will therefore have to either split your rest period up, or book yourself into a hotel.

Genuine question, If the previous weekly rest period had been in excess off 45hrs, so that the next weekly rest period wasn’t required to be 45hrs, but you exceeded 45hrs anyway, and stayed in the truck, would that be illegal as it was not a required 45hr break. Hope that ain’t to double dutch :wink:

Good question Eddie, and one I don’t know the answer to. So here’s another one; if as in Eddies scenario you were parked up for over 45 hours but didn’t legally require the break, could you after 24 hours fire it up, drive around the car park and then park up again? Would that satisfy the requirements?

The hotels in France are very good. Some have enough space to park lorries or PL which means Poids Lourds or heavy weight.
They will supply breakfast, lunch and dinner in the hotel.
Formulae One is a nation wide chain of budget hotels.
If the reception is not manned, guests can pay for a room with a bank card on the front door.
The Rouitiers tend to shut at weekends.
In the working week they have free parking and a set price nenu for drivers and locals.
Some Autoroutes do not accept foreign bank cards so keep some Euros handy.
The bike will come in handy to go off the beaten track down some scenic rural roads.
For the lorry,French law requires a hiviz to be worn if stood in the road if broken down.
Two warning triangles, one in front and one behind when broken down.
The fire extinguishers for the cab and trailer must be in date and tested.

There are 11 Ibis Budget Hotels (ETAP) in Lyon all within a 23km raidus, but you may have to drop your trailer to park up.

http://ibisbudgethotel.ibis.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml

Another option to consider is to park the lorry near the airport industrial area.
Good bus or taxi links to Lyon city centre.
Get a hotel and keep the receipt to prove you have not stayed in the cab.
I left my own lorry for four days when i flew from Bordeaux airport.
Nobody touched it and my trailer was loaded.
There was a long truck ban ,the border was shut from Thursday night until Tuesday morning.
So i flew home.
Lyon is a stopping place for the train de grande vitesse or high speed train (TGV.)
You could visit Paris by TGV or other cities.
In your position i would rent a car and visit the mountains and ski resort towns that are near to Lyon.

eddie snax:

whelmic:

Genuine question, If the previous weekly rest period had been in excess off 45hrs, so that the next weekly rest period wasn’t required to be 45hrs, but you exceeded 45hrs anyway, and stayed in the truck, would that be illegal as it was not a required 45hr break. Hope that ain’t to double dutch :wink:

Eddie this is legal in France but they will class your break as a reduced weekly rest even though you took over 45 hours. All 45 hour breaks should be taken away from the truck. We are doing what Toby says and using hotels if you need a 45 in France. Hope that makes sense!

m4rky:

eddie snax:

whelmic:

Eddie this is legal in France but they will class your break as a reduced weekly rest even though you took over 45 hours. All 45 hour breaks should be taken away from the truck. We are doing what Toby says and using hotels if you need a 45 in France. Hope that makes sense!

The way I understand it is that any 45 hour rest period taken in the cab is illegal, even if you are only required to have a reduced rest period that week. The way to get round it of course is to have a drive around the car park after 24 hours, then there can be no dispute.

The Belgium authorities record the number plate details and note the times you move off again.Ok for a 24 ,anymore than 24 expect a big fine.

toby1234abc:
The Belgium authorities record the number plate details and note the times you move off again.Ok for a 24 ,anymore than 24 expect a big fine.

Why only 24? 44 hours and 59 minutes or less still isn’t a 45 hour break on the tacho. Besides which, if you park up on Saturday afternoon in France and have 24 hours off to the minute, you still won’t be able to move because of the Sunday driving ban.

toby1234abc:

The Belgians will accept anything upto 40 hours before you are liable for a fine.

Well i dont and not heard of any uk or western eu driver being done in france yet

Have taken 45 many a time still in france
Last weekend no choice as driving ban in place

Time before chatting to gendarme in the bar saturday lunch
His words its to keep the ee drivers out of laybys with rubbish
And mainly aimed at french employers employing cheaper drivers to live in the trucks
Thats where the -12 months prison comes from

gettin-on:
Well i dont and not heard of any uk or western eu driver being done in france yet

Have taken 45 many a time still in france
Last weekend no choice as driving ban in place

Time before chatting to gendarme in the bar saturday lunch
His words its to keep the ee drivers out of laybys with rubbish
And mainly aimed at french employers employing cheaper drivers to live in the trucks
Thats where the -12 months prison comes from

That’s what my brother said.

Though to be honest I’ve not weekended for 20 years, and to be honest if in the very unlikely event that I was too, I would insist on being put up in a hotel, if it was any longer than 1 day :wink: .