Weekend driver?

Hi all, happy valentines. A question for you, I’m thinking of driving hgv’s at weekends when I pass, (medical booked next sat!). Apart from ringing round the local hauliers, I’m reading on here that agencies might be best for strictly weekend work? I’m in essex, anyone around know any (half decent) agencies I can add to the list of enquiries, if any lol :wink: .

And I’m guessing with agencies you have to pay them like a membership or something/joining fee.

Bit of a grey area for me, any comments guys/gals cheers

Dan Bear 87:
And I’m guessing with agencies you have to pay them like a membership or something/joining fee.

Bit of a grey area for me, any comments guys/gals cheers

FFS! Don’t go giving them ideas!lol

(Do you have another job Mon-Fri? If so when are you planning on taking you weekly rests?)

1968kg:
(Do you have another job Mon-Fri? If so when are you planning on taking you weekly rests?)

This is an important question. Learn the driving hours regulations first before making plans. Any other job(s) you have count as ‘other work’ so will count towards your weekly hours limits and rest requirements.

I went part-time (three days per week) in my office job in order to free up a couple of driving days and still allow room for two consecutive days of weekly rest. Every fortnight I can throw in an extra day’s driving by taking a reduced weekly rest.

I work through an agency because a) I’m still inexperienced so unlikely to get permanent work, and b) I doubt any employer would touch me for permanent work on a part-time basis. So far the agency has pretty much kept me supplied with enough shifts to cover what I want.

I’m still building experience though, and the magic two years is simply that…part-time or full-time, two years is two years.

Hi 1968, ORC. Yeah got mon-fri job, just thought about the occasional weekend when it’s quiet. I’ll try not to give agency’s ideas lol, :grimacing: , just don’t know much about it all being new. I’ll get my head down about the driving regulations so cheers for that

From my limited understanding of working hours and weekly rests, if you have a full time job, Monday to Friday, you will likely only to be able to work 1 day every other week, as you need to have 45 hours off from ANY work every other week.

But I may be wrong.

damo84:
From my limited understanding of working hours and weekly rests, if you have a full time job, Monday to Friday, you will likely only to be able to work 1 day every other week, as you need to have 45 hours off from ANY work every other week.

But I may be wrong.

Not wrong

1 day every other weekend driving when got mon to fri job

Also all the other work must be officially recorded in the week where driving was done

Separate records must be made for each day worked with name date start and finish time on each

Hi Damo, ROG. Well u guys know more about it than me so cheers for that. One day here and there is all I can do then fair enough. My job requires a few Saturday’s anyway so I’ve set myself a real challenge to fit it all in here lol :open_mouth: . Oh well, see how it goes. Gotta pass first anyway :grimacing: