Weekend agency work

Hi all

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question or has been asked before :smiley:

Currently working full time as a dustcart driver (household door to door) and loving it but I wouldn’t mind earning a few extra pennies every other Sat or Sun doing some Class 1 work if possible. My firm don’t offer any weekend overtime and there’s nothing in my contract stating I can’t look for additional work but I just wanted some clarification that there isn’t any rule stopping me from doing so? As obviously it will show up on my card when it is downloaded.

Thanks!

All work counts towards your weekly/fortnightly hours. Dont think you would be popular at your main place if you rock up one week and cant do your shifts as you have no hours left.

Plus there are your tax implications.

Ken.

djt1881:
there’s nothing in my contract stating I can’t look for additional work but I just wanted some clarification that there isn’t any rule stopping me from doing so? As obviously it will show up on my card when it is downloaded.

EU Drivers Hours regulations, in particularly the one about weekly rest is the only one you are really likely to come to grief with. You have to have at least 45 hours uninterrupted weekly rest every 2 weeks. So as you seem to be aware putting that into practice it effectively means you’ll only be able to work either a Saturday or a Sunday every other week.

The other depending on how many hours you do with the dustcart is the 48hr average work in a 26 week reference period under the Working Time Directive. If you’re already doing 48hrs work on the dustcart there’s no way you could legally do any more. HOWEVER, despite the fact I think that it should be 48hrs max, not average, I fully realise that there is nobody at all policing the WTD so the chances of being caught exceeding the 48hr average are close to nil.

Quinny:
Plus there are your tax implications.

Ken.

No there aren’t. You’ll pay no more tax doing 2,3,4,5 or even 500 jobs at the same time as you would in one single job earning the same combined income.

Is door-to-door home bin work EU or still domestic?

If domestic, then is it logbook rather than tacho? And ‘other work’ rather than ‘driving’ in EU terms?

GasGas:
Is door-to-door home bin work EU or still domestic?

If domestic, then is it logbook rather than tacho? And ‘other work’ rather than ‘driving’ in EU terms?

It is UK domestic rules, I believe some companies/councils use a tachograph to record the work anyway though.

Assuming the work is done on domestic rules the bin wagon driving counts as other work for the EU regulations but driving under EU regulations counts as driving for the domestic regulations.

As has been said, because of the weekly rest period requirement you will most likely only be able to do one weekend shift every second weekend.

I would suggest being honest with your employer and tell them you’re going to do some weekend work, I can’t see why they would object.

Sent from my mobile.

about 8yrs ago I thought it be a good idea to do a bit of moonlighting at the weekend because the company I was working for didn’t have weekend work. They found out and not best pleased, then I was minus a job :blush: So think very carefully before you do it. :wink:

djt1881:
As obviously it will show up on my card when it is downloaded.

Thanks!

You not on Logbook?

tachograph:
It is UK domestic rules, I believe some companies/councils use a tachograph to record the work anyway though.

Assuming the work is done on domestic rules the bin wagon driving counts as other work for the EU regulations but driving under EU regulations counts as driving for the domestic regulations.

As has been said, because of the weekly rest period requirement you will most likely only be able to do one weekend shift every second weekend.

I would suggest being honest with your employer and tell them you’re going to do some weekend work, I can’t see why they would object.

Domestic rules and yes we use tachograph just to record the hours/breaks.

elsa Lad:
about 8yrs ago I thought it be a good idea to do a bit of moonlighting at the weekend because the company I was working for didn’t have weekend work. They found out and not best pleased, then I was minus a job :blush: So think very carefully before you do it. :wink:

And this is what I am worried about. :open_mouth: But I do overtime regularly during the week and have signed a 48 hour average working week exemption so I wouldn’t think hours would be an issue. If they offered weekend overtime then I would obviously choose to do that but the fact they don’t makes me assume they wouldn’t have a problem with me doing it. Will have to try and found out tomorrow.

djt1881:

tachograph:

Domestic rules and yes we use tachograph just to record the hours/breaks.

Presumably you put the tachograph on out of scope ?

djt1881:
But I do overtime regularly during the week and have signed a 48 hour average working week exemption so I wouldn’t think hours would be an issue.

There is no exemption to the 48hr average under the WTD (Mobile Workers) aka Road Transport Directive. The only thing you can opt out of is the 10hr limit for night workers. So if your current employers think that by signing an opt out you can average more than 48hrs a week then they’re sorely mistaken.

Conor:

djt1881:
But I do overtime regularly during the week and have signed a 48 hour average working week exemption so I wouldn’t think hours would be an issue.

There is no exemption to the 48hr average under the WTD (Mobile Workers) aka Road Transport Directive. The only thing you can opt out of is the 10hr limit for night workers. So if your current employers think that by signing an opt out you can average more than 48hrs a week then they’re sorely mistaken.

Because the OP is on UK domestic regulations he’s working under The Working Time Regulations 1998 in which the 48 hour week can be opted out of.