Wee bit of advice please!

Hi all
I’m an experienced HGV driver ( 16 yrs class 1 & 12 previous class 3 rigid ) been working for a well known parcel company for 5 1/2 years, previous to that Somerfield - Kwik save for 6 years.
Money good for what I do but work long hours for it, all nights and really have had enough of the current job & permenent nights 5 times a week. Haven’t got anything of a life outside of this cycle of work, sleep, work etc.
Wanting to push a bit of a feeler out to you guys re changing jobs, staying in the industry as it’s all I know ( 12 years in HM forces / Army included ) but feel very institusionised within the job I currently do. The way things are going I can feel me going in 1 night, having an argument and telling them where to shove the job, something I don’t want to get into!!! :frowning:
May book myself onto a full ADR course next year in the hope I may have more options. As my wife is in a good, well paid job earning more than me currently, I am not able to give up work totally and as I haven’t worked for agencies for a long time haven’t a clue what the best step next is for me! All I know is my current job is teetering on a cliff-edge and one way or another 2013 must be a change for me and try to get some kind of normality back into my work / life balance instead of work, work, work all the time!
Not whinging guys, just after some feedback of what you think? My gut feeling is to leave … the company I work for will NOT re-employ you once you go, don’t ask me why it’s just something they do!

If after 5 years you’ve fallen out of love with your job I think you should leave just to preserve your sanity/self-respect.

But it’s always better to know what you are going to land in before you jump.

TBH a lot depends upon your location and circumstances.

The drivers who seem to be happiest are those who work for that diminishing band of well-run, family-owned firms. The trouble is that very few people leave said firms, there’s usually a waiting list of keen competent drivers and the firms themselves are under increasing pressure for corporates and cowboys.

Sorry, this isn’t much help…but good luck!

I have been doing nights for over 18 months now and 7 months of that has been driving and i must admit it feels like 5 years

Very very challenging when driving as the boredom creeps in and its so so cold in the winter

Gixermark:
Hi all
I’m an experienced HGV driver ( 16 yrs class 1 & 12 previous class 3 rigid ) been working for a well known parcel company for 5 1/2 years, previous to that Somerfield - Kwik save for 6 years.
Money good for what I do but work long hours for it, all nights and really have had enough of the current job & permenent nights 5 times a week. Haven’t got anything of a life outside of this cycle of work, sleep, work etc.
Wanting to push a bit of a feeler out to you guys re changing jobs, staying in the industry as it’s all I know ( 12 years in HM forces / Army included ) but feel very institusionised within the job I currently do. The way things are going I can feel me going in 1 night, having an argument and telling them where to shove the job, something I don’t want to get into!!! :frowning:
Booked myself onto a full ADR course next year ( now February ) in the hope I may have more options. As my wife is in a good, well paid job earning more than me currently, I am not able to give up work totally and as I haven’t worked for agencies for a long time haven’t a clue what the best step next is for me! All I know is my current job is teetering on a cliff-edge and one way or another 2013 must be a change for me and try to get some kind of normality back into my work / life balance instead of work, work, work all the time!
Not whinging guys, just after some feedback of what you think? My gut feeling is to leave … the company I work for will NOT re-employ you once you go, don’t ask me why it’s just something they do!

Sounds like DPD.

Gixermark:
Hi all
Booked myself onto a full ADR course next year ( now February ) in the hope I may have more options. As my wife is in a good, well paid job earning more than me currently, I am not able to give up work totally and as I haven’t worked for agencies for a long time haven’t a clue what the best step next is for me! All I know is my current job is teetering on a cliff-edge and one way or another 2013 must be a change for me and try to get some kind of normality back into my work / life balance instead of work, work, work all the time!

Can’t you ask for a transfer to days? I know the wage drop is a hit to the pocket but agency work is never guaranteed so it averages out. I took my ADR five years ago, it has never been of any use in increasing my income, just increasing the risk to life and limb. Hope it works out for you.

When ADR came along, we all got the promise of more money for carrying nasties, which, surprise surprise, never came. I let both of mine lapse about 5 years ago, and have no desire to do it again. I’m earning as much now as some guys that have their ADR, so why would I want to go back to a part of the industry that has more rules? There are enough already.

It’s the same with most legislation in this industry. We’ll put you through this and that course, and you’ll get more money for doing it, but when push comes to shove, it’s all bullcrap.

Sticking my neck out, it’ll be the same with the DCPC. Another ill thought out piece of crap, that will not alter the basic way the job is done, yet it will be necessary to have it.

Save your money, and cancel the ADR, and try and find a job outside this over regulated industry of ours.

Ken.

PS. Which Somerfield were you at?

“Sounds like DPD”.

Very close, but not DPD!!! :wink:

“PS. Which Somerfield were you at?”

Ross-on-Wye / Tewkesbury, mainly chilled & frozen out of Tewkesbury. Didn’t realise how much I liked the job til it closed & we were all made redundant!!! :open_mouth:

Can’t transfer to days as the main depot / sorting hub is over an hour & half away from where I work!!! :frowning:

Thanks all for the other replies, take what you are saying re ADR but I need that extra “oomph” when looking for another job and whilst I take on board everything that has been said I will be doing the course as it will open more doors having the ADR than not having it!

hi mark , where are u based ?

holliefabbabe:
hi mark , where are u based ?

Hi
PM’ed you … :smiley:

mark, if and when u get an ADR i would think it would be near impossible to get into this kind of employment, unless you were in the right place at the right time, or, you know someone that is in the position of speaking for you.i dont want to be so negative but there are so many expeirenced adr drivers chasing jobs that i would think that they would be foremost in any employers mind first