Website to notify of road closures in advance?

Looks like I’m gonna be doing nights in the near future. My previous experience of nights has been one of scheduled road closures and diversions due to maintenance so I’m wondering if you night guys have a link to a website that can give advance warning of such closures. Google maps with traffic is ok for the current situation but it would help with route planning to know in advance…
Cheers!

handyandy1:
Looks like I’m gonna be doing nights in the near future. My previous experience of nights has been one of scheduled road closures and diversions due to maintenance so I’m wondering if you night guys have a link to a website that can give advance warning of such closures. Google maps with traffic is ok for the current situation but it would help with route planning to know in advance…
Cheers!

None of them are accurate enough to bother using, keep an eye on Google maps and signs on the roads you use a lot.

Traffic England and select the future roadworks filter.

Also Highways Agency mobile app.

And taking notice of the roadside signs advertising future closures.

But as said above none of them are 100% accurate, even the roadside signs including Google Maps. Lost count the number of times I’ve driven up the M6 from J2-4 on a night when Google Maps has said it’s shut.

Highways england now have a spreadsheet file you can download which has the planned closures on (subject to change that is). Which they could have saved a fortune by just having that rather than developing a complex, and probably expensive interactive map and search facility!

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

handyandy1:
Cheers!

Nothing that hasn’t been said already. It proves difficult the less planning time you have obviously. Especially if you don’t have a set run. I’ve used Highways England and Traffic England both linked to this link below. Like said you can only keep your eyes and ears open. Google maps is good sometimes but not always.

gov.uk/traffic-information

We had a road closure in a nearby village scheduled for Mar 20, moved to Sep 20 due to Covid, started last week in Nov 20, left half done due to incorrect surface compound. Will be restarted again at some point. Signs on roads sometimes correct, sometimes not.

I still find the good old Truckers map is good for looking at alternative routes.

The garmin and others have been known to take us round and round in circles sometimes. As they can’t always re route.

Lots of closures are carried out overnight. Getting a network of night drivers is probably the best bet and a shout out :wink:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Try this, it’s pretty good.

one.network/

Choose the date, in top right corner of map.

Closed roads in red. Diversions in purple.

Thanks for the replies chaps, didn’t fancy relying on the traffic office for information! :wink:

Google traffic works for me .Shows road closures.

handyandy1:
Thanks for the replies chaps, didn’t fancy relying on the traffic office for information! :wink:

If there are regular routes and you have any other drivers, those are your best bet. Often they’ll be able to tell you X road says its going to be shut, or for gods sake don’t follow the diversion at Y.

Of course its all a whim of those people with the cones, but is aboutbas reliable as anybweb site or sat nav (which need to get data from a human).

I have noticed Tomtom seem to ge a bit slow at times with the road closures. They used to be pretty much to the minute, but their data source needs sorting out. Or the roadworks aren’t reporting as soon as they are done.

Have fun, especially if you use the M62 and they shut it over the top.