Website help

i have decided to resurrect one of my former businesses.
i’ve had to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
although i’ve had a few meetings lately, i basically sat there like that nodding dog off the churchill advert.
“Oh yes, mmmmmm, Oh yes”.
didn’t really have a [zb]ing clue what they were on about.
but i now have a domain name, and the website is being designed.

i’ve given them a load of keywords, but i don’t have a clue how to find out how many hits these keywords get.
if i asked them daft questions then i reckon the price would go up, so i left it until now. :laughing:

so, if any of you get work from the web, how do you monitor that you’re getting the most from your site?

Normally websites do come with an admin control panel where you can find out how many hits you get, what search engines your hits came from (99.9999% Google) and what search terms were used, if you just ask the person who put the site together they should be able to show you how to find it, then you can monitor it yourself.

YTF do you need a website for a paper round :open_mouth:

I got ours designed and built by my friend, he made it so we can edit and upload jobs, pictures, check on hits and pretty much do what we want.

He does have a job so I can’t see him having much time to do it for other people full time, but I can ask, it’s easier if you meet with people local though, to go through it as its being made, ours is worth around £3000 but I payed less than a third of that!

He’s a link if you want to see: southwalessportsgrounds.co.uk/Home.html

Each person in the office has a login an password to edit what they like, it even records who does what.

Monitoring hits depends how and where it is hosted, best as said to ask the guys putting it to gether if this is part of the service.

thanks for the feedback, keep it coming,
i’m pretty much still stuck in the olden days, as the kids, and wife tell me.
they actually say it in a different way. :laughing:
it’s not just hits to the site i need to monitor.
the most important thing is finding out how many hits a certain keyword gets before i use it.

ehow.com/how_4908157_check-k … arity.html

Phil, In this it tells you of a website where you can check what are the most searched for keywords. You can try it out for your application and then get the person building your site to add these in, meaning you have the keywords that people most search for on a subject. I take it he is also doing what is called SEO (search enging optimisation) whilst building it?

Like previously said it can be done through the hosting providers CP or you can have stuff built into the sites pages to help count up the hits etc.

I used to work as a freelance web designer, if your unsure of anything just drop me a PM and I’ll help where possible.

NickW:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4908157_check-keyword-popularity.html

Phil, In this it tells you of a website where you can check what are the most searched for keywords. You can try it out for your application and then get the person building your site to add these in, meaning you have the keywords that people most search for on a subject. I take it he is also doing what is called SEO (search enging optimisation) whilst building it?

that link was really helpful.
some of the keywords i was going to use arn’t as popular as i expected.
i also found out that if was to use the phrase “britney spears ■■■ video”, i’d get a lot of hits. :laughing:

limeyphil:
i also found out that if was to use the phrase “britney spears ■■■ video”, i’d get a lot of hits. :laughing:

Yes, this is true, “David Beckham” will apparently also drive traffic to a website although it won’t much good in terms of business.

Quite often people will hide terms like these by building them into the background of the site, Sunshine Yellow on a Sunshine Yellow background for example. Search engines do tend to ban sites which do this though if they suss it out.

i’ve just had a preview of my site, it looks a bit professional, so it dosn’t look like it should belong to me. :laughing:

with a bit of luck i should get sued in a few months, this should generate some much needed free advertising.
the domain name is very closely related to a registered trade name.
it’s about as similar to calling yourself www.stobarteddie.co.uk :laughing: but that’s not mine.
so i figured i should get a few hits. :smiley: