Weather !

I see from the FB posts of the men from the frozen north (Canada) that winter has returned with a vengence, now you know why it’s so easy to get a driving job up there, nobody else wants to do it :laughing:
It returned here too over the last two days. We had a warm weekend last week and it got hotter and reached the high 70’s (F), then thursday I get weather alert on my phone saying that snow and ice was on it’s way, sure enough I hadn’t got 10 miles before the sleet started, luckily I soon got out of it as I was going south to NYC but my fellow worker going the other way (Russ Edinger), not on this forum but my FB friends might recognise the name, shouted me on the CB as he went the other way, “Hey, I’m running late, dozed off, will I make Ben & Jerry’s in time do you think ?”
“Err no, it’s 3 hours from here” … ‘here’ being Lake George outlets and he was only two hours from his appointment time. “Just tell them you were delayed by the snow and ice”
“What snow and ice ?” he asked.
“The snow and ice you are about to run in to”
Next day he posted a photo of a very snowy I-89 near St Albans VT, it turned a bit cooler in NYC that night too, then freezing rain on friday morning, woke up this morning to find a thin layer of snow on the back lawn … supposed to get back up to the high 50’s later though :slight_smile:

My truck is on it’s way to Kelowna BC with my partner and I’ve just been checking the highway hotline for him, not looking very good . Snowing in every Province at the moment , we’re looking at 6 -8 more inches over the next few days .

We had a massive ice storm around home on Thursday/Friday. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Not good. Luckily I was in PA so missed most of it. Still managed to screw things up for me though! Spent most of Friday afternoon trying to get some repairs done on my unit, but the shop had no hydro. No point going home cause there was no hydro there either. Currently sat in north bay waiting to get my trailer fixed. The reefer unit conked out during the night. Got some heat sensitive stuff on that needs to be in the Peg for Monday am. Then it’s off to Calgary with the rest of the load. It’s been snowing all morning here, and sounds like its going to be similar for the next few days! Oh joy! Hello spring!!! Lol

Hi Angela.As one of the few ex pat lady drivers on here it would be nice to know a bit more about you,where you work,what you drive,which part of Ont you live,and why Ont.I lived for a short time in Iroquois Falls.Merely curious,forgive me if i’m nosy.Mike

I parked up in Liverpool, NY (Syracuse) on Thursday night at the shipper ready to load the next morning and awoke in the night to the sound of it raining cats and dogs and it didn’t stop at all until well in to Friday, by which time I was back in Canada and near Montreal and even then it only stopped raining as it turned to slushy snow. It didn’t settle too much and thankfully it didn’t freeze over night either so I made it home today (saturday) on largely bare roads, which was just as well as my load of cardboard packaging was so light I may as well have being empty.
Winter, FIRK OFF!

Just heard on the weather report to expect about a foot of snow over night

hutpik:
Hi Angela.As one of the few ex pat lady drivers on here it would be nice to know a bit more about you,where you work,what you drive,which part of Ont you live,and why Ont.I lived for a short time in Iroquois Falls.Merely curious,forgive me if i’m nosy.Mike

Hey Mike. I live in south western Ontario, about half way between Stratford and Lake Huron near a small village called Dublin. I work for a small family outfit near to Stratford mainly hauling livestock and a bit of freight. I drive a Freightliner Coronado - piece of junk!
Why did I move here? Basically, I came over on holiday and didn’t want to go home! I didn’t intentionally pick Ontario, I was offered the chance of a ‘free’ holiday here, and the rest just kind of fell into place. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Angela.Thanks.Pleased your happy there.Maybe later a diary or some photos :question: Always of interest to others.Take care.Mike

Well it’s wooly time again.We had the first moderate snowfall today here,about 5cms.Lots of fun as everyone is still on summer tyres.

hutpik:
Well it’s wooly time again.We had the first moderate snowfall today here,about 5cms.Lots of fun as everyone is still on summer tyres.

You had to go and spoil it, didn’t you?! Yes its getting colder, yes the tree’s are changing colour, but does snow really have to follow? if only it did not. Driving in snow storms/ ice rain etc is the one thing that I really can’t get used to about being here and this will be my 5th winter.

Don’t know about that ? It was over 90f here in NYC today :sunglasses:
I had to go over to Newark NJ and preload a trailer of orange juice for some poor sole to take to the wilds of Michigan, I turned the corner to get to ‘Citrus products’ and saw 4 lanes all maked out for certain companies, the two on the right were for the place I wanted and it was about 1/4 mile long with about 15 trucks already waiting, I drove up the far right and stopped by a truck waiting, the driver told me to walk to the security at the gate and check in, I walked back to my truck and saw everyone else has their lap tops out or TV’s on so I figured U was in for a wait, so I started up and turned on the A/C and 10 minutes later the security guy is knocking on my door, we had to get half a dozen trucks to move to get me out and load… Got in and out in record time then back to Yonkers to sweat it out… soon be winter :frowning:

They had a load in NW Wyoming yesterday saw the post from the storm office on FB also one of the guys at H&R had to put his chains on in the Helena area at stupid o’clock this morning

taffytrucker:
They had a load in NW Wyoming yesterday saw the post from the storm office on FB also one of the guys at H&R had to put his chains on in the Helena area at stupid o’clock this morning

This is one of the main things that puts me off from living and working in western Canada. While all parts of Canada have a nasty winter by our own standards, you guys out there seem to potentially have about 6 months of it, from say November to April. I hate winter as it is and couldn’t hack that, especially with all the wind and blowing snow on the prairies that makes it seem like a constant snow storm, even if none is actually coming from the skies.

I notice the weather out western Canada and the mid west. As an O/O before I came on Foodliner I experienced some terrible snow storms out there, I even woke up one morning in a truck stop in Wyoming and couldn’t open the doors because the snow was blocking them.