Wearing a seat belt or not?

If the motor has a seat-belt fitted its got to be worn simple as, personally i don,t feel safe anymore without one !

I never used to wear them in a van/ truck, until I started with the current crowd. Johnny Foreign Police don’t give you a slap on the wrist…Wallet emptying yes! :open_mouth: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=JA4Pw-UnycU

youtube.com/watch?v=rww9oFNoNi8&NR=1

Generally speaking i do, sometimes dont round town and when stuck in traffic.

What they are stopping truck & van drivers for not wearing seat belts over the water these days, never stopped me for it in the 7 or so years that was driving over there, i would only think about it, if driving over here ,

But yeah there are valid arguments that support both wearing or not wearing a seatbelt ,such as if the truck is rolled you will be flung out of yer seat, were as there are arguments that if you had not worn it you could of moved to avoid whatever was about to hit you , i do now ware one in both my car and whilst driving a truck or van

youtube.com/watch?v=M-doBEfA … re=related

I wear it in the car and while driving the truck but not while I’m in the truck passenger seat and the other guy drives, because I usually hop between the seat and the bunk a couple of times during my non driving part of the shift.

Always have used them on all vehicles i have driven, dont feel right without it on. Dont know when people wont wear, never understood that.
If i am driving around a yard or manouvering then i wont be out on the open road i always wear a seat belt. Our DAFs go mental if you drive without a seat belt on.
We have recently got a new fiesta van and that bloody thing wont shut up until you put a seat belt on. Even when the hand brake is applied and you arent in the vehicle!

10/11 years ago i never used to as i thought they’d be restrictive , but one day for no real reason i put it on & have always worn it since

44 Tonne Ton:

webby08:
I worked for 7 years before being a truck driver doing Accident Recovery and ive seen some sights in my day and it all depends how the accident happens… Ive seen people killed because they had a seat belt on and ive seen them killed because they didnt… The worst 1 i saw was a young guy that was in his car and got side swiped by a truck and it litterely tore the side out his car, he had his belt on and well Im sure i dont need to say what happened to him but hes no longer with us…

Me personally i dont and wont wear 1…

I’m going to take the advice you give in your signature!

You saying im an idiot because ive got an opinion??

MolePower:
10/11 years ago i never used to as i thought they’d be restrictive , but one day for no real reason i put it on & have always worn it since

What Moley said. I learned to drive in the Army, where seat belts were mandatory long before they were in civvy street, so in a car the habit stuck; but some of the early HGV designs (Volvo FL6 springs to mind) weren’t particularly well thought out, the belt used to chafe on your neck, so until it became law I only tended to use them on motorways. As others have said it eventually becomes second nature.

Webby, he’s saying you’re an idiot because you’re defying the law.

i have never worn one in a truck i just find it too uncomfortable

i,m not saying i,m right , i know i should wear it but its my choice not to, on another note, i,ve had vosa,plod beside me loads of times and have never been given a second look even though its been blatantly obvious i didnt have one on

gnasty gnome:

MolePower:

What Moley said. I learned to drive in the Army, where seat belts were mandatory long before they were in civvy street, so in a car the habit stuck; but some of the early HGV designs (Volvo FL6 springs to mind) weren’t particularly well thought out, the belt used to chafe on your neck, so until it became law I only tended to use them on motorways. As others have said it eventually becomes second nature.

Webby, he’s saying you’re an idiot because you’re defying the law.

Ok… Sorry i must be an idiot because im not law abiding… Do you really think “44 tonne ton” has never broke the the law■■? Thats right he sits at 40mph on single carraigeways and never does anything wrong… What a load of crap… Its “KNOBS” like him that stops people posting there opinion on these forums… :imp:

webby08:
Ok… Sorry i must be an idiot because im not law abiding… Do you really think “44 tonne ton” has never broke the the law■■? Thats right he sits at 40mph on single carraigeways and never does anything wrong… What a load of crap… Its “KNOBS” like him that stops people posting there opinion on these forums… :imp:

I’m sure we’ve all broken the law, most of us probably do it every day either deliberately or unwittingly.

I think it’s fair to say though that if you post an opinion which is in direct opposition to both the law and accepted good practice and common sense, you’ll inevitably cop for some flak.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

In my not too distant youth I co-drive in rally cars as a relaxation, and I have some big shunts (once in Belgium they reckoned we barrel rolled in the air before we came down in a potatoes field).

A few years ago while in a LHD Focus we hit a tree (quite a few in a forest) head on at about 50mph.
We both stepped out due to wearing a 6 point harness with 3 inch wide straps — both of us OK but a bit sore.

While the service crew put the rest of the car into some bin bags the driver and I adjourned to the pub to celebrate our survival. Sometime later my hand started to swell — turns out it had hit the roll cage and broken a finger, so off to A&E for a check up.

Arrive at A&E and the waiting time was about 4 hours — checked in explained what had happened and suddenly whoosh into majors no hanging about.

It appears that according to the doctors anyone having a full frontal impact above 40mph and can walk and talk is somewhat unique, let alone get a round in.

Ok so I was wearing some heavy duty restraints and helmet etc, plus fireproof underwear but any form of seatbelt will give you a fighting chance in the slightest of shunts. My unrestrained hand hitting the roll cage broke a finger and the pressure of my body on the belts also cracked 3 ribs.

The driver also cracked a couple of ribs but because he had the steering wheel to brace against that may have helped.

The forces in even a 20mph shunts are quite staggering and without a seatbelt would sting…

youtube.com/watch?v=ByF3Obv-z_Y

youtube.com/watch?v=j6oFVqQx6q4

And the best is saved till last!

youtube.com/watch?v=D27LCOmo … re=related

:open_mouth:

Too right Gazzaman; I’d suspect that underwear would need to be proof against a ■■■■ sight more than fire, too! :laughing:

you can post videos all night mate but i,ve never worn one in 23yrs so the invention of youtube wont make any difference :wink:

gnasty gnome:

webby08:

I’m sure we’ve all broken the law, most of us probably do it every day either deliberately or unwittingly.

I think it’s fair to say though that if you post an opinion which is in direct opposition to both the law and accepted good practice and common sense, you’ll inevitably cop for some flak.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I see what your saying but if i choose not to wear a seatbelt then its my right to do so…

Doesnt make me an idiot because somebody thinks im wrong… And if people saw the things i saw when doing Recovery it might just change there opinion…

webby08:

44 Tonne Ton:

webby08:
I worked for 7 years before being a truck driver doing Accident Recovery and ive seen some sights in my day and it all depends how the accident happens… Ive seen people killed because they had a seat belt on and ive seen them killed because they didnt… The worst 1 i saw was a young guy that was in his car and got side swiped by a truck and it litterely tore the side out his car, he had his belt on and well Im sure i dont need to say what happened to him but hes no longer with us…

Me personally i dont and wont wear 1…

I’m going to take the advice you give in your signature!

You saying im an idiot because ive got an opinion??

No I’m saying you’re an idiot because you don’t wear your seat belt! :stuck_out_tongue: